Visa Questions

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.95K Views
How do I apply for a visa to work on my startup in the U.S.?

I am a founder from China. I am looking for a chance to move to the U.S to build up my company, especially California - a great place for IT companies. The Startup Visa (EB-6) is a great bill, but...

asked Sep 27 '11 at 21:16
Blank
Anlai
375 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
When will the Startup Visa be passed?

I know that the Startup Visa is under discussion in congress. But does anyone know when this visa will be passed, or what the process of passing the bill is? I'm looking for this visa.

asked Sep 20 '11 at 01:48
Blank
Anlai
375 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.16K Views
Bringing in partner who is on an H4 Visa

My brother and I started a game company about 5 months ago. We are a general partnership. We recently went to a hackathon and I brought a friend from school as our dedicated game designer. We...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 15:26
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
EB-2 Visa Amendment: How to apply for the visa for my new startup to be based out of the valley

Has anyone applied for new business visa (EB-2 amendment) to startup in the valley? Can someone share their experience? What is the procedure? Do you need an American citizen as a...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 14:55
Blank
Quintin
101 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
9.15K Views
Can a H1B visa holder be a founder/partner of a company?

Myself and two other partners are planning to start a C-Corporation. One of the partners is on H1B visa sponsored by his employer and he is getting a W2 from them. We have few questions: Can a...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 05:29
Blank
Gagan
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
In immigration limbo, want to start a startup

I am a legal immigrant (h1b) with lots to technical background (over 10 years) and been craving to start my own startup... I've worked for other startups as consultant before.. and I feel I do have...

asked May 27 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Xoail
365 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person?

As an European, is it possible to travel to the US on a tourist visa and visit companies to apply for jobs or business assignments in person? I. e. is it possible from a legal perspective, from a...

asked May 13 '11 at 23:52
Blank
Pongy
18 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
Doing a startup on H1-B

I have been itching to do a startup since a long time but this visa (H1-B) is getting forever to sort out (6+ years already) One idea to work around the H1B issue is as follows - I transfer my...

asked Mar 31 '11 at 07:46
Blank
User9070
21 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Potential employee's F-1 student visa expires in October...How "hard" would it be to get him sponsored?

Currently operating a very small, early-stage startup. Just received first round of seed capital and looking to expand operations this summer. I have been looking for a developer (employee #2) to...

asked Mar 17 '11 at 05:43
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.67K Views
How to get nonimmigrant Visa to the US for an unemployed startup founder

I'm the co-founder of a startup in India and I'm considering applying to seed-funding programs in USA like ycombinator. My problem is how do I get a non-immigrant visa to the US? I am currently...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 22:14
Blank
Jax
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Can a Legal Immigrant file for a LLC or Corporation?

I'm on H1B visa. Is it legal to register a LLC or corporation?

asked Jan 13 '11 at 03:45
Blank
Vanchinathan Chandrasekaran
115 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.25K Views
Foreigner starting a business in the USA

I am officially a "legal alien allowed to work" in the USA (I have a F-1 student visa). I know I cannot work anywhere else, but the university I attend (and no more than 20h a week). I would like...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 09:04
Blank
Jacek
116 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Do the number of founders matter for the Startup Visa?

Under the current state of the Startup Visa, does the number of founders matter for the Startup Visa? Is the minimum investment still 250k$ if there are two foreign founders?

asked Apr 11 '10 at 08:51
Blank
J. Pablo Fernández
412 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
5.56K Views
Anyone started a company while on H1B visa?

Has anyone here started a company while on H1B worker visa? If yes, what legal issues did you face? Could you explain how you overcame those issues?

asked Jan 19 '10 at 00:28
Blank
User2143
56 points

9 Votes
2 Answers
9.5K Views
Is there a legal way for a foreigner to start a business in US?

I am on a work visa (H1-B) in the US. From what I understand, the only way for me to make money is through my employer. I've some skills that I think I can use to create a product (or website...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 06:20
Blank
User2143
56 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
4.6K Views
How can an nonImmigrant visa holder do startup business

One of my friend is on H1-B Visa in US working for some company, he wants to start his own startup and he is working madly on some of his idea but as he is not US Citizen he feels very said about...

asked Oct 26 '09 at 08:34
Blank
Rachel
173 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.32K Views
In lieu of an H-1B visa what other visas can be a founder's visa?

I know there's a lot of people on an H-1B visa that would like to do a startup. Paul Graham recommended a Founder's Visa. Keeping existing visas in the U.S. in mind, what would be the nearest thing...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 22:02
Blank
User287
164 points