Stock Options Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Forming a C-corp: should I allocate Preferred stock from the get-go?

While creating my C-corporation on LegalZoom, a question asks how much should I issue of both Common and Preferred stock. What's a good rule of thumb for this?Is Preferred stock even needed if I...

asked Mar 2 '14 at 19:50
Blank
Jim Crowell
50 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Should you exercise your stock options early if your company allows it?

I'm a developer at a "startup" with a company size of over 50. While I am great at coding, matters like stock options and equity aren't my cup of tea.Is there any benefit to exercising the...

asked May 29 '14 at 16:30
Blank
Emerson Thompson
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
What liquidity options does a founder have early on?

Is there any hope for a founder to sell shares between series seed and series A? After two years of getting a business off the ground with co-founders, I could use cash for family reasons. I have...

asked Feb 21 '14 at 06:28
Blank
User30169
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
Failing to file 83(b) election

I worked for a start up for a year and I had 1/4 of my stock options vested. I decided to exercise the options and purchased it on 8/15. I gave them the check but it was not until last week (10/12)...

asked Oct 23 '13 at 07:21
Blank
Denniss
116 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.33K Views
How can a founder structure the stock options pool to get guaranteed percentage?

Let's say I have a company where I am the founder and also have 2 employees - E1 and E2. Let's say there are 1000 authorized shares, but only 800 of them are issued. 600 of those shares are...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 04:45
Blank
Salmon
970 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
Different vesting schedules among founders

I'm the technical co-founder at a startup. We have soft-circled nearly 50% of our seed round, are participating in an accelerator this summer, are rapidly acquiring new users, and have been in...

asked Jul 25 '13 at 00:28
Blank
Sohan Jain
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Equity options/logistics for first hire

We're in the process of hiring our first employee and trying to figure out logistics given that we're making the employment offer in parallel with our seed funding. All of our current funding up to...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 11:07
Blank
User26911
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.42K Views
Accepting stock options from another company while in H1B

I am currently working for a company and I'm on an H1B. I know that I cannot accept compensation from any other employer but the company that filed for my visa. What if another company grants me...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 09:35
Blank
Gevorg
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Stock options for overseas contractors

Our company is a US based software start-up. We have 3-4 contractors in India (Indian citizens, never worked in US) and we pay them directly. We are considering issuing stock options to them. I...

asked Jul 23 '13 at 03:38
Blank
User27108
6 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.21K Views
Stock Option Calculation

I received offer from company that just raised Series A round. I'm trying to determine a method of finding out how much my stock options are worth. They gave me multiple offers with varying...

asked Jul 2 '13 at 16:34
Blank
Harmon
6 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.33K Views
Non-dilutable options

I have an entity I've been working on for roughly 4 years, the last being a real push to get it out the door. A student recently joined me and got us into a student business plan competition and we...

asked May 2 '13 at 22:47
Blank
User26081
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
Issues around accepting salary plus stock options in job offer

I've been offered a job within a new SaaS startup. I'd be the first technical hire. They've offered to match my current salary and give me 2.5% stock options. Or I take a couple of £K extra with no...

asked Apr 11 '13 at 03:05
Blank
Iamjonesy
129 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Best way to commercialize a software

My associates and I own a services business. To improve efficiency we started to developed own software two years ago. The software we developed seems to be very effective and time-saving for us...

asked Apr 3 '13 at 22:57
Blank
Gauthier
1 point

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Series B Startup unwilling to disclose total shares

I have an offer from a series B startup that includes number of shares but no mention of value of each share or total shares (so I can compute a percentage). I asked and they were unwilling to...

asked Mar 14 '13 at 09:17
Blank
David Cowden
133 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Receiving non-qualified stock options before a startup has a valuation

I've been reading that under 409a regulations, if non-qualified stock options are issued below fair market value, there are immediate tax implications and a 20% penalty. I've been working part-time...

asked Mar 19 '13 at 04:34
Blank
Kevin Victor
11 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.89K Views
How much Equity should I get?

Well some think its a duplicate to another question but i think its different cuz all four of us in the team are not the coders, developers or programmers & also my question is different cuz...

asked Feb 12 '13 at 04:03
Blank
Lovable Chris K
1 point

5 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Advice on an offer from a start-up

i have been offered a position in a start-up...i was initially told that my 100,000 share options were 0.25% of "the allocated shares". In my own research i came across terms for "diluted stock"....

asked Jan 29 '13 at 09:42
Blank
James
26 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Review offer for being employee #1

I've just been offered a developer job at a startup in the current situation. - Pre-Series A. - Current seed funding gives them a valuation of $5 mil. - 4 founders, no employees, 1 founder is a...

asked Jan 31 '13 at 14:36
Blank
User23797
31 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
VC Option Shenanigans

My company is being acquired by a public company (both US based). When we were all hired, our employment contracts stated we'd be granted x number of stock options. I'll say 250,000. That was 3...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 03:53
Blank
User23535
28 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
I am the only paid developer in a startup, am I getting enough equity?

I am currently apart of a very small startup. I love the idea and believe that it could be very big one day. I was hired by a guy with the idea, but the idea was still very basic, and 1...

asked Jan 16 '13 at 09:36
Blank
User23559
11 points