Software Licensing Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.24K Views
What if your customers ask how much your software costs you to make?

We have built a white-label forum software that we license to B2B customers for internal use. One question that sometimes comes up during the sales cycle is: "How much does it cost you to...

asked Jun 19 '14 at 16:12
Blank
Melvin Burdette
14 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
8.58K Views
Windows - Where to sell a desktop application?

I'm currently working on a productivity desktop application for Windows and Mac. For the Mac version I will distribute it through the Mac App Store. What is the most popular place to sell a...

asked Feb 28 '13 at 05:03
Blank
James
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Using OSS libraries in my product - will that protect from patent litigation?

I am working on an innovative product that uses a GNU GPL licensed library and per GPL needs open-source my work as well. Could that protect me from patent litigation? I am worried since my former...

asked Sep 2 '13 at 12:52
Blank
Gupshup
52 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.87K Views
Packing and licensing an API

I've started and launched a small SaaS application. It offers a simple API that allows developers to create and manage passes for Apple's Passbook. Part of the offering is an implementation of...

asked Aug 24 '13 at 17:47
Blank
Tomasmcguinness
114 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4K Views
GPL License: If I donot distribute a GPL library that my software depends on and have the user download externally, do I have to use GPL

I am stuck between a few choices for my turnkey Project management system: a library that uses GPL and an inferior library that is under MIT license. I am wondering if I don't distribute the...

asked Jul 10 '13 at 18:54
Blank
Somesh Mukherjee
149 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Licensing a compiler which outputs code of a pre-existing programming language

This is a cross-post from stackoverflow; I was told you guys might be more knowlegable in this area... I have an idea for a project which, ideally, I would like to eventually make money...

asked Apr 14 '13 at 14:52
Blank
Araisbec
16 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Best way to commercialize a software

My associates and I own a services business. To improve efficiency we started to developed own software two years ago. The software we developed seems to be very effective and time-saving for us...

asked Apr 3 '13 at 22:57
Blank
Gauthier
1 point

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
How to license closed source free-ware application for distribution to the public?

I have created a small application/tool, and I would like to release it to the public under those conditions: It is free. (donations are welcome) It is closed source. In the future, I might...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 10:51
Blank
Sharp12345
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
What it takes to implement ERP Software for SME's

I have a project to implement ERP Software for SME. Though I am a software engineer myself and briefly understand things involved, however as I am new to ERP platform and is not sure of what it...

asked Nov 17 '12 at 15:19
Blank
Goku
58 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Making a hyper niche app targeted for a large company

So I am a developer, and I had this idea about making an app only for florists. Obviously theres not a lot of money in that so what if in addition to any florists that signed on, 1800flowers or...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 01:53
Blank
Ben Thomson
140 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
6.93K Views
Is internship considered as "work-for-hire" in the US? Who owns the software intellectual property rights created by an intern with no contract?

I was an intern in a small furniture company for over year where I had an idea to develop an integrated software solution that would help any company of the same type get organized. A verbal...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 03:45
Blank
P T
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Does open content affect the licensing of closed software that uses it

Does content licensed under open licenses such as the Creative Commons Share-Alike or the GNU free documentation license affect in anyway software that uses such open content. The core issue is:...

asked Sep 4 '12 at 15:51
Blank
Basel Shishani
106 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
3.87K Views
Is the traditional 'selling (closed source) software licenses' model still a viable business model?

I have developed a library that I would like to license to customers in the traditional way: users are paying for a license for a closed source library which allows them to use the library for a...

asked Jun 10 '12 at 18:15
Blank
Mark
1 point

14 Votes
6 Answers
3.42K Views
Software consultants VS Software houses profitability

Let me preface by providing a specific definition of the two types of companies I am interested in. Consultants: Software companies that generally provide their services on an hourly basis to...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 19:18
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Selling app containing open source package

I'm building an app that contains an open source package protected under EDL license http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/edl-v10.php Can I sell it? Do I need to specify something in my app's...

asked Apr 21 '12 at 05:50
Blank
Nur Ne
186 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.95K Views
Using Domain name in EULA of a software rather than my name in the Licensor field

I intend to sell a software solution.I have already registered a domain but i dont have a registered company.Can i use my website/domain name eg:myproduct.com for the licensor field in the EULA...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 13:37
Blank
User17330
18 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
How do I decide on licensing terms for my popular app?

I wrote a sudoku application and put it in the chrome app store. It is quite popular. I have received serious requests from media companies asking to include my application as part of their mobile...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 03:51
Blank
Hvgotcodes
171 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
5.24K Views
Intellectual Property (Source Code) Held in Escrow

I work for a start-up company who has a client requesting that we place the source code for our SaaS (software-as-a-service) application in escrow. They're concerned that, as a start-up, the...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 04:54
Blank
Yuck
257 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
My webmaster created our website and is now charging me a licensing fee

My webmaster signed an agreement saying that all work done on the website is owned by our company. He now thinks that he is being payed unfairly and wants the website to be taken down. He says...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
A source code license that contributors can agree on

This question is related to a previous one I've asked, but this aspect felt broad enough to deserve its own space. I have a web site where others contribute code and I am in need of an open source...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 19:30
Blank
Leo
120 points