Starting an internet company in USA as a foreigner


I am a student in USA. And I have an idea for a startup. I have people with me (US Citizens) who are willing to help me establishing this company.So i am wondering now what do i need to do (legally) in order to start this company. I will be founder of the company, so what visa do i need or what procedures do i need to perform ?


Foreign Company USA

asked Mar 16 '12 at 01:39
Jeet Robert
6 points
Add Comment

3 Answers


My way:

  1. Find a partner
  2. Form a C-corp (not LLC, no S-corp)
  3. Make your partner a president, accountant and whatever else required there.
  4. You must be ONLY a shareholder, nothing else. You must NOT hold any position in the company and you can NOT get any salary
  5. Do whatever you want after that: development, marketing, sales, just don't violate (4).

That's pretty much it. From what I learned that's the only safe way to start a company in the US if you don't have a green card/citizenship.

answered Mar 16 '12 at 03:32
960 points
Add Comment


I started a company on my own when I was on OPT. I think it's a good option to get OPT and start the company. Once you register the company you can apply for e-verify. After you have been approved for e-verify you can extend your OPT(STEM extension) or get a H1B sponsorship through your company. I am not sure but one of friend got a L-1 visa(but he has company registered in India and his US firm is a subsidiary of his Indian firm).

answered Mar 16 '12 at 04:12
24 points
  • The problem with that is that in case of audit you'll have to prove that what you do for your company is consistent with your field of study. – Salmon 6 years ago
  • i see. so i do have a partner. everything will be registered on his name. one done registering the company, i can get a sponsorship letter for H1B from him/company right ? – Jeet Robert 6 years ago
  • Most probably you won't be able to get H-1b from such a small company. – Salmon 6 years ago
  • If you just graduated or still a student I suggest you to get a OPT/CPT. You will be able to register a company under your name as long as you have a valid SSN. And as long as you are on OPT your personal income tax will be 0%. You have to show some growth and revenue for H1-B. I am not sure if there a target you have to meet but try your best. – User899893 6 years ago
  • i see.thanks everyone – Jeet Robert 6 years ago
Add Comment



If you want to go into business and you currently looking for millions of citizens phone numbers contacts lists from your own country and other countries in the world for your marketing business.

I want to let you know that their are so many legitimate company this days like that will enable you as a business marketer to
access and get over twenty million citizens phone numbers lists from your targeted country lists of your choice .

You have 100% guarantee to get over twenty million USA, CANADA, UNITED KINGDOM and other countries citizens phone numbers lists, for your national country business and international export business from this great bulksms company.

This company is where i connect my foreign clients for my international business from different countries.

you can visit and register with this great company platform here to receive your first free two thousand phone numbers lists test from their platform from any country list of your choice now.

answered May 21 '18 at 20:17
Ujoh Kelvin
1 point

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Foreign Company USA