Does using Fulfilment by Amazon in a different country makes you liable to charge local sales tax in the country?


My business is in Canada. I sell goods online that I ship by mail. I would like to use a fulfilment center in the UK to lower the cost of shopping for my european sales. Do I become liable for local sales tax in the UK, considering that I now warehouse goods locally?

UK Tax Canada Online

asked Jan 1 '12 at 19:29
Alexandre H. Tremblay
186 points
  • I can't answer your question, because I'm in the US. But something else you may need to consider is how your income will be taxed if you have a presence in two countries. If you haven't already, I suggest you also get an answer to that before moving forward. Some countries have agreements with each other that limit this tax liability. – Zuly Gonzalez 12 years ago
  • Yeah, having a place to store goods is not considered a permanent establishment for purposes of income tax (according to tax treaties). However, I could find nothing about sales tax. – Alexandre H. Tremblay 12 years ago

3 Answers


Do I become liable for local sales tax in the UK, considering that I now warehouse
goods locally?

Wrong querstion. If you import to the UK to a certain degree, you are always liable for sales tax - OR your customers are liable for import dues of pretty much the same amount but with a TON of additional paperwork attached.

SO, practically, you should be happy about that. Makes it easier for the customer to receive the goods when they come from within the EU.

answered May 1 '12 at 19:39
Net Tecture
11 points


If you are talking about "Sales Tax" aka VAT there is a lot of info with regards to it on this website. From what I am reading you may have to register for VAT collection but if your sales are below a certain amount you may do this voluntarily.

I think this one is the most on-point

answered Feb 1 '12 at 06:27
1,779 points


Typically you pay 'local' taxes where the company is domiciled. Most major trading countries have double taxation laws in place so you only pay taxes where your company is legally located. This it what it looks like from my end ~

answered Sep 12 '12 at 19:38
Terence Milbourn
21 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

UK Tax Canada Online