Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
Does anyone have advice about entering the social media apps and games space?

I'm interested in entering the social media apps and games space. I personally have several years of experience in interactive media development for the web (both programming and design) and some...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 09:41
Blank
Blysulvan
11 points

20 Votes
28 Answers
21.7K Views
How to pick a platform for a startup web 2.0 app?

I am looking for recommendatins from the successfull entreprenurs on this forum to advise me on the best software technology platform to develop my web2 webapp on. The web2 app will potentially be...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 11:26
Blank
Aryanved
59 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.33K Views
How to go from a one person sofware development freelancing gig to creating a software development company

I've been doing some freelance software development in Ruby on Rails for a while and I'm currently thinking of hiring people to grow my business (I'm based in Shanghai) but going from a one person...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 21:08
Blank
Gommm
265 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
5.31K Views
What is the best geographical location to do business?

This is a very subjective question. Anyway, what do you think are the factors that make a certain city or area a good geographical location for business. I'm sure there are way to many...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 23:27
Blank
Slavo
316 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
5.19K Views
When is a startup a conflict of interest with existing job?

I want to found a startup that offers library applications using a SaaS model. I also work for a state academic library as a System Analyst / Developer. Would founding such a startup be a conflict...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 00:44
Blank
Brice Stacey
74 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
6.27K Views
Should a founder be a C-level executive of his startup?

Considering the fact that a startup usually happens because of a founder's initial vision. Is it a good idea to have a founder as one of the C-level executives of a startup company?. What...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 04:42
Blank
Anup
547 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.03K Views
When to say no to a job offer?

What if you were finishing your degree and you got an offer from a big company, such as McKinsey. What would you do? Would you say no thanks and work 100% on your idea, or work part-time on your...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 06:36
Blank
Tiago
333 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.87K Views
How do i know if the idea i have in mind for startup is not being worked on by another stealth startup company

I have an idea in my mind, but how do i know if someother company is already working on a similar idea (espeically in stealth mode) or worse if i start working on my idea and half way through if...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 06:59
Blank
Syed
445 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Non-Profit Startup Resources

I've never started a business before, let alone a charitable, non-profit organization. I search the web and find a lot of information, but other than common sense, I don't know how to tell what is...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 06:17
Blank
Scott
121 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.37K Views
Startup field change..worth a risk?

I am IT guy. But I have a friend who is interested in doing business with me in manufacturing industry. Friend has enough experience / knowledge in that field. So far I haven't got success in IT...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 22:56
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
4.25K Views
What is your opinion on Provigil/modafinil?

I'm sure many of you are familiar with sacrificing health for your start-up, but I'm curious as to your opinion on on using stimulants, specifically Provigil (modafinil), to enhance your...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 15:10
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.09K Views
How to do financial planning for family before starting a startup?

How to plan such that family financial are planned? What should be part of plan and what should not?

asked Oct 11 '09 at 01:52
Blank
Jigar Shah
131 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
How do I create and lead a startup team of game developers?

I have LOTS of game ideas. Not all are awesome, but they definitely are better than most games I see on Google's Android market and on Apple's AppStore commanding 100k+ downloads. I also have ideas...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 16:15
Blank
John
9 points

8 Votes
12 Answers
3.46K Views
Books to read before starting a business?

I'm starting an online store with a partner. Because there will be lot of students and other people working directly under me, I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed. I have no practical or...

asked Jul 25 '11 at 14:09
Blank
Nikhil
145 points

7 Votes
12 Answers
5.5K Views
Survive starting a business without a paycheck?

When you start a new company, it is necessary to dedicate 100% of your time and effort to make it successful? How do you do this without a paycheck? Especially if you have a family?

asked Oct 10 '09 at 10:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

11 Votes
6 Answers
3.92K Views
How do I know if I'm cut out to run my own business?

It sounds like fun to start a company, but I don't know if I can actually do it. How do you know if you can or if you're ready?

asked Oct 8 '09 at 05:35
Blank
Jason
16,231 points