Pitch Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.96K Views
How to determine "market size" when researching ideas or creating a pitch deck?

How does one determine the "market size" for a business opportunity. Lets presume I'm selling mugs. How do I figure out what the market size for mugs is?

asked Jun 4 '14 at 15:55
Blank
Dolores Jensen
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Should you seek funding if you don't yet have revenues or traction?

It seems that either revenue or traction are the biggest factors in being able to easily get venture capital. Should one pursue trying to raise money without either of those factors? At the moment...

asked May 28 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Cheryl Febus
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Can a pitch deck be used for things other than raising money?

We have spent a lot of time creating variations of pitch decks for our business and closed a small angel round. Could we continue to use the decks for other purposes now that funding is over?What...

asked May 13 '14 at 14:13
Blank
Leann Dement
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Ways to improve public speaking skills?

What techniques to improve your public speaking skills are the fastest to implement? I will be pitching our business to a few VCs next week (first time doing so) and public speaking is my weakest...

asked Apr 6 '14 at 12:59
Blank
Stuart Dotson
2 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Phrases to avoid when pitching to investors?

What are some phrases startup founders love using that you shouldn't while pitching to investors?

asked Mar 8 '14 at 03:27
Blank
Earl Shellman
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.99K Views
How long should a pitch deck be to keep the investor's interest?

How many slides should an ideal pitch deck have?What are your thoughts on having some subtle humor to keep the investor's attention span in check?

asked Mar 20 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Teresa Sanchez
135 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.39K Views
Calculating market potential and projections for VCs for an early stage startups?

I am creating a pitch deck to potentially raise a series A round and not sure where to start for projections. How do early stage startups calculate the market size and future projections when there...

asked Mar 16 '14 at 02:21
Blank
Fernando Douglas
35 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.64K Views
What should be in a seed-round pitch deck for investors?

What data do angel investors want to see in a pitch deck? Better yet, are there any public successful pitch decks that people have used to raise over $500K from angels?

asked Mar 10 '14 at 13:36
Blank
Robert Collins
160 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.8K Views
Public speaking challenges and how to overcome it?

I am a software developer turned startup founder who is good at executing things. One thing I dread though is speaking in front of an audience, no matter how big or small.This is holding me back...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 12:39
Blank
Ramon Atwood
30 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
9.57K Views
Cold emailing a VC without an intro?

I don't have any contacts that could provide me an intro to a vc firm or angel investors. I have, however, found that many VCs' email addresses can be easily found on their websites or personal...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 12:38
Blank
Henry Nielsen
25 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Should the entire team tag along when pitching to VCs?

We're a team of 4 (two of us are founders) and the other two are early employees. When we go pitch VCs to try and raise a seed round, should the entire team go or just my co-founder and I? One...

asked Feb 7 '14 at 14:22
Blank
Zohra Sahertian
26 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Is approaching high-profile VCs the same as angel investors?

Would one need any thing special to keep in mind? Are there any unspoken protocols that people follow? I have heard that most VCs won't entertain you unless you come through a referral. Is that...

asked Feb 7 '14 at 19:17
Blank
Wilfredo
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Create an elevator pitch without sounding like a hipster?

Almost every startup out there says things like "we do x for y". For example "We're Twitter for Education", etc. That seems to be too overused these days. Do VC's experience ad-blindness like...

asked Feb 4 '14 at 09:40
Blank
Otha Dominguez
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Making a business development deal happen

So I have a brand new startup company that provides valuable resources to a variety of consumers in the college application/admission process, what I want to know is, how can I approach a college...

asked Sep 14 '13 at 07:24
Blank
Bwheeler96
113 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
How to answer "What kind of protection do you have"

Every time I do a pitch for any software idea I'm asked "What kind of protection do you have?" and it always stumps me. I've asked others and they don't have a good idea either. As a start up...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 21:48
Blank
Keith Loughnane
138 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.06K Views
How to distinguish my startup from IM/MLM crud

My startup uses virtualisation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor ) to allow anyone with a decent PC to make some money by renting out their computer over the internet. I'm a technologist at...

asked Aug 5 '13 at 02:41
Blank
Steve
310 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
How to find Angel/Early stage pitch events

We are an early stage company with a working product. We would love to gain some seed funding to help us market the product. However, we seem to hear about pitch events either in the paper or past...

asked May 21 '13 at 08:20
Blank
User25771
5 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.95K Views
Classical Business Plan vs Pitch Deck

I have recently read the book "Hit the Deck" by David Ronick, which suggests not to write a classical business plan and instead start with the pitch deck. This is based on the argument that...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 18:44
Blank
Ben
136 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Investor Q&A Readiness

We are an early stage web startup, and do not have anyone with deep financial experience on our team. Is not a likely option at this point. We are pitching to investors in a contest setting next...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 08:38
Blank
Laramie
192 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
'Using' others' ideas - what's the legality?

So a bunch of friends are always pitching ideas to each other. One day, one of my friends does one of these "this would be a great idea for a site". It's blown off as another of his 'ideas', but...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 09:29
Blank
Mark Mayo
106 points