I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup


I am a US citizen and want to become a partner in a friend's UK startup, helping her start a branch office in the US. What is the best way to proceed with this? What forms need to be filled out?

UK Partnership Office USA Overseas

asked Jun 25 '11 at 09:25
21 points
  • Can you be more specific? Are you asking how to incorporate a subsidiary in the US, or how to become a partner to the UK company, or whether you can start activities without any paperwork (answer is yes)? – Alain Raynaud 13 years ago

2 Answers


There are a wide range of factors to cover off when you considering a startup. Here are a few of my own thoughts that I have compiled over time

There are also a wide range of other peoples ideas, have a look through the list at the side.
answered Aug 27 '11 at 16:10
Robin Vessey
8,394 points


This sounds like a situation in which it will be really helpful to speak to a lawyer who has some experience in your domain.

I would recommend--at the very least!--having a contract precisely spelling out what each person's rights and responsibilities will be, and what will happen when things go wrong or if either person wants to terminate the agreement.

answered Jun 28 '11 at 11:27
Joel Spolsky
13,482 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

UK Partnership Office USA Overseas