Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
How do I choose a leader for my startup?

OK I was reading this post here Equity distribution amongst startup co-founders And I was thinking ok once the equity has been discussed and agreed upon, who is the leader,Is it the guy with the...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 06:45
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.1K Views
Is this a fair partnership proposal?

I am the technical founder of a software product, the product is finished with good inputs from at least 6 to be customers. My to be Sales partner who is already helping me from the past 4 weeks...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 00:13
Blank
User11074
39 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
2.45K Views
How to find potential co-founders for a startup?

I've been working on a bootstrapped startup for about 2 years now. I've been working on it solo to this point, but I feel I'm starting to run out of gas. I need fresh ideas, money and assistance in...

asked Jun 10 '11 at 11:02
Blank
Sterling Nichols
148 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Bringing part time hacker on-board for equity only. How much equity is fair?

[Disclaimer: This question was also posted on Hacker News] Howdy, Just 6 weeks ago my co-founder and I began working on our startup full time. We want to accelerate development and have talked to...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 09:42
Blank
Caffeinated
6 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
How to "date" a potential co-founder?

It's often mentioned in startup circles that partnering with a co-founder is a bit like getting married. You form a bound of sorts, and are in it together thick or thin. The importance of "dating"...

asked May 27 '11 at 15:12
Blank
Tinny
404 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.48K Views
Finding a co-founder

I am currently looking for a co-founder. The current candidate and I are still students, and we are not experienced in business at all. However, I know he loves sales and marketing, and he usually...

asked May 30 '11 at 15:11
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

2 Votes
10 Answers
5.14K Views
I want to start a social network company but I know nothing about programing

I have some ideas for a social network and really want to start a company. But I don't know how to program. Should I learn or just find a technical partner? I know founders of tech giants like...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 21:40
Blank
Yc Wang
19 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.69K Views
What about finding a technical co-founder overseas and invite him over to my country?

Here's the case. I have great ideas about starting a social networking company, but I am not a programmer. So I need to find a technical co-founder first, I mean a really awesome ass-kicking...

asked Jun 4 '11 at 01:03
Blank
Yc Wang
19 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.89K Views
Is there an inbetween step between "a trial period" and "co-founder"?

Greetings, I am planning on joining a start up with someone as a co-founder and right now we're in a hurry to get product off the ground. I've worked with this person in a trial period and I...

asked May 23 '11 at 03:01
Blank
Daniel
157 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.39K Views
How important are complementary co-founders?

Im a technical founder thats on the look out for a business minded co-founder. I am interested in the business side (I want to build a real business around my product) but I recognise that this is...

asked May 23 '11 at 14:30
Blank
Tinny
404 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Sales and Marketing Co-founder-Ivy League MBA or Industry Expert?

I am working on a software product, which is going to revolutionize a specific industry. I checked with couple of top guys in this industry and they are all impressed. It is a billion dollar...

asked May 25 '11 at 01:33
Blank
User8226
197 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.9K Views
Dividing Up the Partnership of New Company Between Founders

So I'm starting a New Company that offers internet marketing services to businesses. There are two other founders besides myself, these are people that I am bringing on to help grow the business....

asked May 15 '11 at 11:21
Blank
Neil
18 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
In evaluating a co-founder offer, how do you value the benefits of failure?

I'm a tech guy looking to join a company as a co-founder. Quite often companies are in various stages. For example for 2 different business offers, pre-seed/pre-series A: Lets say founder A,...

asked May 3 '11 at 18:01
Blank
Daniel
157 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
6.13K Views
What's the difference between a founder and a co-founder?

I was wondering what the difference between a founder and a co-founder was. I am the founder of a company and I have worked on the project by myself then brought on board a partner to work on the...

asked May 4 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Andy
81 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Things to Consider as a New Technical CoFounder

I have been offered a position as a technical co-founder (composed of 3 cofounders). We're in the midst of trying to figure how much % of funding we want. We have between 45-60% of our company...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 22:54
Blank
User9968
229 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.75K Views
Are Investors needed in internet startup?

The business founder on my team thinks we need 45-60% of investors since he doesn't have a full time job (and thus no income coming in) since he is a fresh graduate. Is this a realistic reasoning...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 23:57
Blank
User9968
229 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
I was just offered a position as cofounder of a startup with someone who I have not known previously are there any legal steps to take?

I was just offered a position as cofounder of an already established startup. The revenue on it is minimal. This was the first I had met the founder. Are there any legal steps or other steps I...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 06:45
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.26K Views
What's in a Title?

Newly minted business owner with a tech background, and looking to the business folks to give some insight as to what's in a title? Our company is small, just my wife and myself for now. Our...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 02:12
Blank
Aj.
212 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.32K Views
How do I fire a technical co-founder?

I came up with an idea for a business web application and teamed up with a coder to build it. He has a lot of strong points and built a good product (it's 90% done) but to cut a long story short,...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 14:24
Blank
Highlander
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
What do you do when you have an idea _and_ money but no expertise or experience creating a technical product?

I know that seems like a "how do I cope with my spoil of riches?" type question and I apologize in advance for being the type of amateur class that for all I know has a popular tumblr blog...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 14:41
Blank
Ray Kinsella Not Really
6 points