Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
Leave startup but still keep ownership

I'm a co-founder of a 2 1/2 year old early-stage software company. The company was completely bootstrapped, no outside investing, and we have modest revenue for being such a small company (approx...

asked Oct 3 '11 at 06:13
Blank
Dnr
170 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
1.88K Views
Is there anything we can do to spice up a "for equity" offer to potential co-founders?

New member. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! I'm a first time Founder to a start up. We pushed the online application off the shelf as a prototype and have some traction with 150 users. 1.0...

asked Sep 21 '11 at 05:31
Blank
Richard H.
175 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.92K Views
What is are fair equity stakes between early tech founder and later biz founder?

I've been developing a SaaS project for about 4 months now. About two weeks ago, I invited a friend to join the project to work on building relationships with vc's, drafting documentation, a little...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 00:53
Blank
User12764
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Perception of fairness in a startup, what is the next move for this situation?

I’ve funded a startup with 4 more friends (my fault, but keep reading) and I am taking care of nearly everything. To put you into perspective, we are setting up something with the same...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 10:54
Blank
Electric
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.14K Views
Startup on F-1 Visa

I'm on an F-1 visa. Would it be possible to be a co-founder (other founders being US citizens) in a startup incorporated as a C-corp. Thanks

asked Sep 23 '11 at 11:45
Blank
Anon1234
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
Sample agreements document for founders

Are there any good and short agreements document for founders? (not investors) Focusing on: Responsibility, e.g. hours of work (some of them may not be fulltime) Vesting period Any hints?

asked Sep 25 '11 at 03:28
Blank
Howard
126 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.65K Views
Is my role as non technical guy valuable enough in this case?

How do I approach this situation? I m a non-technical guy, but I want to set up a very basic search engine which would search for data from a MYSQL database of data collected by us.The data is...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 18:30
Blank
User13528
16 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.01K Views
As a single founder, is it worth the effort to add a new (novice) co-founder?

I have often read that single founder companies are given lower priority by incubators and angels. I was thinking about bringing in an additional founder. They will be "new." First, I will have...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 03:02
Blank
Achshar
125 points

7 Votes
9 Answers
3.8K Views
How do I deal with a co-founder who hasn't contributed?

Question: How do I deal with a co-founder who came up with the idea, asked me to partner with him, and now hasn't done anything since we agreed on going into business together. Background: My...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 07:23
Blank
Saif Akhtar
53 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
8.75K Views
As a founder/shareholder/officer in a startup, do I pay myself as an employee(W2) or contractor(1099-MISC)?

I've looked around, but can't seem to find a straightforward answer for this. I am one of 4 founders in a start-up incorporated as a C-corp. 2 of us work full-time on the start-up, and so far have...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 14:18
Blank
Sid
106 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.18K Views
Bringing in partner who is on an H4 Visa

My brother and I started a game company about 5 months ago. We are a general partnership. We recently went to a hackathon and I brought a friend from school as our dedicated game designer. We...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 15:26
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Leave Seed Stage Startup - Partnership Issues

My partner and I started an online service. When we formed the idea for the company, we came out strong with a lot of energy, but it seems as if my partner's priorities are now elsewhere. I'm the...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 07:41
Blank
User13096
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
Invented a lighter to replace smoking lighters, how to start up without capital or experience?

Great site! I need help. I am a heavy smoker. Few months ago I invented 3 vaporization devices, made prototypes and started vaporizing instead of smoking. I use the devices vaporize tobacco in...

asked Sep 5 '11 at 14:18
Blank
Joe Chang
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.43K Views
How to (not) move ahead with my cofounder

I need some advice on how to handle the current situation with my co-founder. I am not happy working with him, we haven't signed any contracts or agreements, and he has put in a lot of hours over...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 00:18
Blank
Yes
128 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.24K Views
IP Ownership Dispute

My partner and I are having a dispute. I wanted to know who owns the code in a company with one technical cofounder (me) who has written the entire code. I was the one who came up the idea and...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 03:03
Blank
Kap
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Few startups questions with Partner who has H1B status

Myself and two other partners are planning to start a C-Corporation. One of the partners is on H1B visa sponsored by his employer and he is getting a W2 from them. We have few questions: Can a...

asked Aug 23 '11 at 07:33
Blank
Gagan
150 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.09K Views
Programmers Who Will Work For Equity

It has been very challenging to find a programmer to work with. I currently do not have the funds to hire a developer as the funds have been used for legal expenses and to create a working site....

asked Aug 11 '11 at 09:53
Blank
Reginald Woodie
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How to find business person who reall knows demands of small biz, not talkative idea guy?

I'm a solid programmer with 5+ years of experience in software development. I know how to do things from beginning to the end and want to start my own company. I spend for more them 6 months in...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 14:39
Blank
Areshchanka Alexandr
49 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Equity Distribution in a startup company

I have a few questions regarding equity distribution that I would like to get cleared out, since I am the core developer and CTO of this project and have very little idea on businesses etc. My...

asked Aug 12 '11 at 00:26
Blank
Hackfanatic
43 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Co-founder required - cut your own deal

I'm taking my first few steps in attracting a co-founder. With all the questions, comments and advice I've read concerning attracting a co-founder comes down to integrity...thee most important...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 05:34
Blank
Donald Bailey
27 points