Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
In seed funding, can the investment come from multiple sources?

I have two investors that appear interested in my concept. I am going to speak to one tomorrow. I intend to disclose to him that I will also be speaking with another investor very soon. If possible...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 13:20
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
Three years worth of savings to start a bootstrapped business - Does it seem reasonable?

A friend of mine recommended 3 years worth of savings in order to start bootstrapping for my self-funded startup. Does this seem reasonable? I had previously been working towards a goal of 1 year's...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 13:50
Blank
David In Dakota
153 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.06K Views
Where would one advertise for a lead man/woman?

We are seeking to bring in someone at a founder level that is connected in the Silicon valley investment circles. Is there anywhere in particular we could advert to see if anyone fits our group?...

asked Nov 24 '10 at 12:11
Blank
Xs Direct
275 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
How do you obtain angel investors help?

I am brand new to the startup stage and am trying to obtain money to get my startup off the ground. I have heard about angel investors but I have no idea how to get in contact with them (especially...

asked Nov 28 '10 at 04:11
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Should I raise FF funding before or after the Holidays?

Is it better to hit up your friends and family before the Holiday gift giving season or afterwards in the New Year? Assuming I have enough cash to wait till after the New Year. Another factor is...

asked Nov 9 '10 at 02:47
Blank
Jonotron
13 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Is an experienced accountant necessary for an s-corp formation?

I need to form an s-corp in Delaware. The corporation will be taking on angel funding as soon as it is formed. I have retained an attorney experienced in the formation & funding processes. The...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:13
Blank
Alex
23 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Are there any grants for starting IT business in India?

I have a unique and viable idea but no seed money. I also have low qualification (no college education) so no chance of funding by VCs. I am aware of many programs by US and other governments. Are...

asked Nov 12 '10 at 22:46
Blank
User5359
48 points

11 Votes
6 Answers
5.03K Views
How do I get funding without "spilling the beans" on my idea?

I've got an idea for a product and I want to get funding. How do I go about looking for funding without telling too many people, or the wrong person, about my idea? I don't want it to be stolen.

asked Nov 18 '10 at 04:42
Blank
Moshe
409 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
What is a "Business Angel"?

I've seen the term here, and I can guess where it comes from, but what exactly is a Business Angel?

asked Nov 18 '10 at 11:55
Blank
Moshe
409 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
A few questions to help understand the ANGEL / VC "game"

Curious on thoughts about this topic. I will say for us it has been frustrating at times, we are sure it is for others. From what we understand there are incubators, angels and early stage...

asked Nov 18 '10 at 21:02
Blank
Xs Direct
275 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Getting funding for marketing an iPhone app

I have almost finished developing an iPhone app which I feel has a lot of potential. The problem is I have no money, and I am pretty clueless about marketing. So I feel if I tried to release it by...

asked Oct 28 '10 at 20:05
Blank
Mongus Pong
161 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.59K Views
Is it best to skip family and friends as a source of funding for a startup?

When it comes to raising money for a startup, every one talks about trying the 3F's first, friends, family and fools. But it seems like this is not really an option when you consider that they are...

asked Oct 13 '10 at 13:31
Blank
Anil
45 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Questions about capitalization

We have created a product which to date has been privately funded. From conceptual to working prototype with more success than expected. It is a B2B product and industry insiders see legitimacy and...

asked Oct 17 '10 at 00:09
Blank
Xs Direct
275 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.95K Views
What percentage to give advisors / VC matchmakers?

I've been approached by two startup heavyweights who offered to recommend me to VCs and angels for my startup (I'm the sole owner). They've asked me what percentage of equity I would offer them in...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Thoughts invited on unconventional ways of raising money

As I learn, fundraising is always a nightmare. It drains a considerable amount of energy. No matter how promising the pitch you make, it's not sure to entice an Angel or a VC. Even if they agree,...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 17:43
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Market sizing for Angels

pretty high-level question here that might be too general: is there a minimum market size that a typical angel would be interested in investing in? I've heard that a typical VC wants to see a $100M...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 01:16
Blank
User4481
11 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
Starting New School Revenue Streams

Hey guys, it's me again. As was to be expected, I've run into funding problems with Idea School. The quality teachers I'm looking for are worth about $50-60K per year. Now, of course, they...

asked Aug 23 '10 at 04:26
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.29K Views
What are some considerations you should make when borrowing money from friends and family to seed a startup?

The question speaks for itself. There are similar questions, but I didn't find one that provides a checklist of things you should consider before and after borrowing money to fund your...

asked Sep 10 '10 at 08:40
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.28K Views
What is the best way to present our business plan to potential investors or to a bank?

We have an excellent Business Plan, for some fantastic mobile ideas. The down side, we need funding to get these ideas developed and to market. What is the best way to meet with potential...

asked Jul 21 '10 at 11:31
Blank
Gulu Apps
41 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.6K Views
What to do next for my online startup?

Ok so I've left my job, I've got a business plan, I have a blue ocean idea, I've spoken to a few industry people about the idea and they think its a good idea. I have a designed and paid a...

asked Aug 8 '10 at 23:57
Blank
Jdeleon
70 points