Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

4 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
New to VC world. Looking for direction

I am trying to startup a mortgage company. My venture would be a full service mortgage lender not a brokerage. I have a marketing plan that I feel will drive business to the company in a...

asked Mar 22 '11 at 04:12
Blank
Steve11140
69 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Who uses "Self-Directed" Retirement Accounts to fund start-ups?

In the United States a retirement account like a 401K or an IRA can be incorporated as a "self-directed" account. A self-direct account provides you check-book control over your retirement account....

asked Mar 22 '11 at 13:30
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.74K Views
Starting a company with a very similar competitor already in place

I have a tech startup I'm looking to do in the mobile applications space. I thought my idea was very unique and my business partner and I spent about a week coming up with planning, name, concept,...

asked Mar 23 '11 at 09:14
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Is it OK to ask prosperous client to invest in our startup company?

We are an early start up (7 months old), and we are in talks with 3 - 4 clients. We are building an E-learning kind of tool and looking for building the content as well. I kind of sensed one...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 00:40
Blank
Karan
54 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
How do I close my *second* round of investing when the first round VCs pass?

I already got my first round, piece of cake. We had a million dollars sitting in the bank. But now we've burned through it, and we need to raise again. I'm worried that the pressure from having a...

asked Mar 9 '11 at 15:54
Blank
Balaji Chandrasekaran
18 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.98K Views
ideas for compensation contract with series B startup

Hi and thanks in advance. I've done some looking around to determine where to start with startup compensation. I work as a contractor exclusively for a startup currently in series b round, I've...

asked Feb 23 '11 at 09:53
Blank
User7991
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What is the most important way in which an investor can add value to your startup?

How would you force-rank (1 being highest to 8 being lowest), in terms of value to your startup, the following 8 services provided by an investor: Warm introductions to potential customers Warm...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 21:58
Blank
Zippy
871 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Biotech Startup Funding Sources

I am in the process of starting a biotech. I have determined that a year is enough time to gather results promising enough to merit much greater investment- or failing, serious reconsideration or...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 18:41
Blank
Cyclone
128 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.91K Views
New job to bootstrap startup?

Context: I started a SAAS based platform for small and medium sized companies around a year back. To save some time I intentionally took this underpaid job close to my home. I have successfully...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 23:56
Blank
User8226
197 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.32K Views
How to get introductions to investors?

All over the internet, the consensus seems to be that when you are looking for funding it is important to approach angels or VCs through an introduction from someone they know, rather than cold....

asked Feb 10 '11 at 09:40
Blank
Susan Jones
4,128 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.63K Views
Old question again: how does one valuate the startup for VC purposes?

I've been running a bootstrapped startup since last year and am running into definite limitations as to what I can do without further funding. Startup enables elasticity for Microsoft's cloud...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Igorek
886 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.81K Views
How much VC equity stake for a product that is fully built for a mid-stage start-up company?

So I have a site that will accept subscriptions the first quarter of 2011. I have been developing this product over the past year and it is almost complete. I would like to use the VC money to help...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 13:31
Blank
John
161 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.15K Views
What are the pitfalls of converting early employees' common shares to preferred and then selling them to investors?

This is a question about private, VC-funded, growth stage companies. It seems to be a new trend to allow early employees to sell some of their shares when the company does a new funding round. For...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 01:36
Blank
Joel Spolsky
13,482 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
How much more funding can you get in Y combinator

As far as I know YCombinator usually gives an average of 17k to participants, but do you get more funding rounds through YCombinator or you have to look for VCs yourself after?

asked Jan 13 '11 at 04:58
Blank
Ryudice
204 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.42K Views
Sealed bidding funding

I want to invite different investors/angels to invest a US version of my company which is up and running in Europe. In trying to get the best deal I am thinking of a 'sealed bidding' auction for a...

asked Dec 28 '10 at 19:59
Blank
Brianable
11 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.8K Views
Should I incorporate my project into a company?

I am working on a project which just finished its prototype, and will start internal testing soon. There are 3 of members in my team, and we are considering of start trying AI or participating...

asked Dec 6 '10 at 13:03
Blank
D.J
121 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How to share the profit in a LLP company?

After successfully building an online business as sole proprietor, I decided register my company as Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) company. Now we are two partners. How will we share the...

asked Dec 9 '10 at 17:16
Blank
User5879
9 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
is there any well known funding model

hi we are forming a startup to implement a concept .. I got in touch with some funders they are asking about the funding model ... can anyone tell what a funding model should contain or what that...

asked Dec 9 '10 at 17:51
Blank
Prasonscala
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Where do you find startup capital?

I'm in the early steps of putting together a business plan. When it's finished, I'm definitely going to need to secure funding. How do you go about finding potential investors? Tips to consider on...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 04:35
Blank
Matt Huggins
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding

Suppose someone needs to incorprate a C-corp, for a high tech high growth business. How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding. Or it only matters how...

asked Dec 13 '10 at 21:30
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points