Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Getting Funding for a Tech Startup in Florida

I'm well aware of the vast sums of VC money in the Bay Area, Seattle, and even Boston. I'm located in the Tampa, FL area and am starting my business here. I'm willing to move the business after a...

asked May 25 '11 at 05:44
Blank
Aj.
212 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Equity and compensation for boot strapped venture

I have been approached by a friend to help with the business side of a venture that he has developed/bootstrapped. No external funding until now. He has developed a working product with outsourced...

asked May 25 '11 at 16:30
Blank
Paddy
31 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
Burned out. Should we sell our SaaS business or find second round investment?

Hey my name is Chris and my wife and I started a web application in Brazil over 3 years ago. As most of the individuals in this community understand the difficulties of starting a business(These...

asked May 4 '11 at 03:55
Blank
Chris
3 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.78K Views
Should a start-up always take funding when there is an opportunity?

I always hear Jason Calacanis say that if there is a chance to take an extra round of funding, the founders should do this. Is that really true? Does it increase valuation somehow? For example, if...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 16:04
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Finding available grants for businesses in Canada

What is a good resource for grants available to business in Canada? Startups are preferable due to the nature of this site, but any would do. Outside of waiting until their announced in the paper,...

asked Apr 19 '11 at 06:10
Blank
Canadiancreed
136 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Planning for venture funding in India and the road ahead

I worked for few government organizations on contractual basis for four years. They were my premium customers for custom software applications. After freelancing for these many years and learning...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 23:33
Blank
Rpk
208 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Pre / Post Money - What Are They? And Should Pre be 2x More than Post in Series A?

I am not (yet) active on a startup of my own but I have been trying to read and educate myself in that arena so that I can at least coherently talk and ask the right questions of the people who...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 06:04
Blank
Whaley
113 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
7.53K Views
What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment?

What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment for a startup? How does this affect salary and/or equity expectations if I am looking to join a startup in a...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
3.9K Views
How can a past employee protect themselves against share dilution?

What is share dilution? How can I, as a past employee of a company where I exercised my share options, know if my shares are subject to dilution? How can I protect myself in future from share...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
When do you start searching for VC's?

I was reading this article on traction and it had an interesting comment in it: If you wait until you're "ready" to fund you're too late. Funding is about developing a relationship over time....

asked Apr 23 '11 at 05:52
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
1.97K Views
Living on no income

I'm sure this has been asked before, but my searchfu failed me, so I'll ask... How do people bootstrap (which I assume is the most common early-funding model) and manage to pay the rent and feed...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 14:33
Blank
Fixee
155 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.53K Views
To get funding do you really need a well known entreprenuer/fame on your team?

My team and I are very capable (we launched our site in short time its getting updated frequently) but this is our first real startup and we do not have any sort of famous reputation (like...

asked Apr 1 '11 at 03:51
Blank
Adam Gent
186 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
is it easier to get funding in California for a start up?

I am working on a SAAS product. One day i would like to grow it in to a business. I am in Ohio. I heard from people that its easier to get funding in California, bay area, sf area. I am planing to...

asked Apr 2 '11 at 07:02
Blank
Keverw
116 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.45K Views
To take government loan for startup, or not?

Recently my government announced they are lending funds for entrepreneurs. Not sure about the interest (which I will find out later), but their terms is first 3 years no repayment needed, then on...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 02:55
Blank
Victor
593 points

9 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What can you share about your experience raising capital?

I'm currently raising capital for our startup and I have my first meeting with an angel investor next week. We are have achieved product/market fit, are ready to launch and are looking for $1.5...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 21:13
Blank
Susan Jones
4,128 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
4.23K Views
Why do startups need so much money?

What are startups raising millions of dollars for? I know running a website can get costly, but seriously, millions? I just don't get it. And if you say advertising, I still don't get it, because...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
5.08K Views
Think I Have a Great Startup Idea, Don't Know Next Steps

Ok, so everyone thinks they have the next big great idea. Let's just assume for the sake of this question that I really DO have a good/great idea. Some background and basic. I'm obviously not...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 03:47
Blank
Phil Sandler
138 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
How do I setup an investor-friendly (Angel or VC) corporate structure?

I've set up two LLC's and an S-corp myself before for companies that I own and run; but this new idea I have is bigger and I will be pursuing investor involvement for it. I'm trying to keep my...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 06:35
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.88K Views
Would a voluntary fee work?

"How am I going to make money?" This is the question that's been bouncing around in my head for the last few months as I've been developing my site. Allow me to beat around the bush here, in order...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 04:46
Blank
Edit This
88 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Should we use "trigger event" investment milestones for additional rounds of capital?

One of our advisors recently suggested we consider using "trigger events" for our second round of capital. Along the lines of "I'll commit $50K now and if you get to 25K registered users by 6/30,...

asked Mar 31 '11 at 03:32
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points