Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
When asking for funds from an investor, how do I decide my own salary?

I will be speaking with a potential investor soon. And I will be quitting my job to run this startup. I will also be the only one running the startup for at least the first 6 months. How do I...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:12
Blank
G Amboo Ka
108 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.15K Views
How do I go about finding a 'closer' to help pitch investors?

I don't understand the funding/investment landscape. If I want to bring someone in to help me pitch angel investors and/or VC's: Where would I go about finding them? What questions do I ask to...

asked Sep 15 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.88K Views
What to use the invested money for?

Ok so i am located in India and am looking for some investment for my startup. Since i am a one man company, i think i can move to valley if the investor/incubator (?) wants me to. But my question...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Achshar
125 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Real-life scenarios of encounters with VC/Angel funding?

I've started lately to think about what's common sense when it comes to seeking funding from VC's or Angels. So What I would like to do is spend a few hours on reading some stories by actual...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 01:03
Blank
Industrial
78 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.64K Views
Is 17 too young to apply to Y Combinator or any other incubator program

We are team of two 17 year old students with an "idea". Is it possible to even be considered for Y Combinator etc. We realize we dont have much credentials in terms of experience and education but...

asked Sep 9 '11 at 07:45
Blank
User13214
23 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Will an angel investor be turned off by the founders not wanting to quit their day jobs just yet?

....my co-founder and I are working on a SaaS product and there is a chance we may seek an angel investment. Do you think us wanting to keep our day jobs for 3-6 more months will be a turn-off to...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 16:51
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Where to find mentors/advisors for garage stage startup company?

I have an idea related to healthcare communications and am trying to find mentors/advisors who would be willing to guide my partner and I towards success. I live in Silicon Valley. I was...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 06:10
Blank
Saif Akhtar
53 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
What to include in our funding requirements?

We're a small group of IT students and recently we came up with an idea that we're going to pitch with business plan in an event hoping to get feedback and funding from investors. (Ok, I read that...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 23:37
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.92K Views
What does it mean to get angel funded? Is it giving away a %?

When I read about a company getting angel funded, what does it mean? Is it a company selling a % of their company in exchange for seed money? Is there any interest involved?

asked Aug 13 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Codecompleting
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Funding Cash, Who should contribute to the company's assets?

So let's say we have company ACME. ACME has 2 people: John - Founder ( %70 Equity ) Dan - Sales ( %30 Equity ) An investor came up and invested $100k and demands %20 of shares. Question...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 01:27
Blank
Ryan
139 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.05K Views
How do businesses like Instagram and TwitPic make money?

Both of those examples don't charge anything, and don't have ads on their wedsite/app. Both of them have (to the best of my knowledge) gotten hugh amounts of money in funding rounds. How exactly...

asked Aug 15 '11 at 14:13
Blank
In Between
121 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
What rights do I have as a founder of a startup? What happens if I do not accept the VCs terms?

I am a founder of a startup with 10% shares. We are in the stage of Series A financing. The valuation of the VC is pretty low according to me. Also the option pool that VC is demanding from us...

asked Aug 15 '11 at 14:54
Blank
A D
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
I have a website idea I need to share with major companies

My idea works with the help of major companies, however, Im afraid if I share it with them they may steal the idea. I know there isnt much I can do to protect myself from this happening. My...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 03:18
Blank
B Run
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Example of new shares issued for investment and options pool in one round?

Please check my thinking. Right now, founders own 100% of 1000 shares. We're willing to sell 30% of the company to outside investors. We want to set aside another 10% for an employee options...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 23:16
Blank
W. Matthew Wilson
104 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.28K Views
Determining the value of my online company for seeking funding

How do you calculate the worth of your company when you are looking for funding? If i sell my company outright today the value is about $200K but this does not mean that i will take on $100K...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Prashant
11 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
How and When to Raise Funds For Your Company

Funding your company is an important part of your startup and expansion strategy. It's a broad topic that has a lot of aspects including: keeping your idea secret, seed funding, angels, venture...

asked Jul 23 '11 at 23:23
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Should one join local pitch programme, which will be aired on national TV?

It's something new. There is this reality tv show coming up, for candidates to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges, then get funded. The whole process will be aired in national TV several months...

asked Jul 25 '11 at 20:34
Blank
Victor
593 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.54K Views
What to offer to advisers / endorsers to make them interested?

The question is about how attract and what to offer to people who you want to be behind your start-up? It's easier with developers and other positions where you can translate their hours to pay at...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Mvbl Fst
144 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.74K Views
What does "warrants for the equity kicker" mean?

I was reading an article in a VC's blog and I found this explanation about venture debt: "The terms are usually three years, interest only, balloon payment, with warrants for the equity...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
My startup is in "concept" stage. Where should I go from here?

I just found OnStartups and I'm looking forward to sharing insights with you guys. My startup is currently in "concept" stage, and I was wondering where to begin my journey. I have a great idea,...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 01:01
Blank
User12313
16 points