Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What to focus on when pitching, product or underlying platform?

I'm working on launching a startup based on a new computing platform developed by my co-founders. The platform itself is very powerful and flexible, and we envision it being used as a foundation...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 18:56
Blank
Berislav Lopac
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
How important is a budget when seeking early stage investment?

Once we launch our product, we intended to raise our first round of funding. The preparation has already started, including the budget. I feel that the budget should be highly detailed, realistic...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 19:40
Blank
Stu Thompson
173 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
What are the funding "rounds" equity tradeoffs for most startups?

Searching and reading about funding, I see a lot of people referring to different rounds of funding (related to a given stage the startup is at). Still, I can only find limited information on the...

asked Jul 20 '11 at 02:09
Blank
Tomeduarte
704 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
How long to wait for investing?

I'm the tech guy and doing a lot of technical development for the startup. How long does one wait around for the business people to get funding from VC's and Angels? is there a ballpark of how...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 04:51
Blank
User9968
229 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What do you do when your Angel turns out to be a Devil?

Investor are in it for one thing, profit. That's okay if both the founders and the investors profit. What do you do when the "Angels" who have been funding your work kick out the founders and the...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Busted Flatt
16 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
Is it possible to get funding before any sale?

I am curious, is it possible to get funding from investor before doing any sale? Any experience?

asked Jul 2 '11 at 00:24
Blank
Jazar
123 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
Beta Download as Achievement?

I just wondering, whether anyone agree if I say that software (beta/prototype version) download number as an achievement for a software product, especially in startup stage. I know it is not a...

asked Jul 3 '11 at 03:44
Blank
Jazar
123 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
Evaluate an offer for a startup advisor

My co-founders and I just began searching for $1.5-2M of funding. We met with someone who has many contacts and friends who are angels or VCs. After meeting with us, he surprised us by offering...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 01:58
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
When pitching to potentials investors, should I let them come to me with offers individually or have a set price?

I am about to put together a investor presentation for my company. I will be presenting to investors individually.The investors are going to be pitched to within a short amount of time. Should I...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 10:43
Blank
Michael
234 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
What is the value of my IP (in terms of equity)

Here is the scenario: I am the ceo/founder of a company that will be launching a website/application. The amount of cash I have invested thus far is less than 3,000. I am currently seeking...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 13:50
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.91K Views
Evaluating a "Promise" from a startup company for pay raise, benefits, stock options within a specified period of time?

I would appreciate any advice based on a current situation that I am in that I think a lot of people involved in startups (especially developers) find themselves in at some point. Basically, I'm...

asked Jun 29 '11 at 15:19
Blank
Rick
136 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Getting VC funding but one partner doesn't want to dedicate full-time

I would really appreciate your guidance and advice. Great community. I am a co-founder of a two year old start-up that is finally getting proper VC funding ($1MM injection). Currently, the...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 05:09
Blank
Sbeekar
26 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
At a crossroads-Whether to launch or seek more time/funding for more development

I have spent considerable resources on the development of a networking/eCommerce site and have since changed my focus on the core idea for the business to the extent that the website is not 100%...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 10:53
Blank
Ss1225
18 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Unemployed but with ideas burning a hole in my brain. Where to?

(Incoming wall of text) I'm a 27-year-old recent college (under)graduate (computer science) who's currently unemployed and having a heck of a time finding a job. I have what I believe is a decent...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 11:50
Blank
M Harrison
63 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Approached by investors from overseas

What types of things do I need to consider if I get approached from a venture fund overseas? I had an early-stage venture fund from Germany contact me looking to learn more about our startup and...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 05:46
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

11 Votes
5 Answers
2.75K Views
Can a startup with little expenses really benefit from investors?

My Royalty Free Music business model is designed to have zero expenses other than keeping my domain name up every year. The 'fuel' to my company is musicians' old recordings which I create new...

asked Jun 7 '11 at 11:40
Blank
Gregarious
88 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Business plan with failure scenarios

I am helping a friend with some short to medium term scenarios/ projections for a business plan. I worked out some failure scenarios as in if the business folds in 6 months we will be able to...

asked Jun 7 '11 at 20:04
Blank
Gerhard
150 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.09K Views
Profit Sharing - How to deduct on the Profit Loss Sheets

We have a Profit sharing program with the branch managers of our firm and I have a question about where to include those payments with regards to our P&L. We currently provide payments...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 04:21
Blank
Cactus
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Plain english translation of these finance terms

What does these mean in plain English, guessing the best way to describe it is by giving theoretical numbers for best worst case instances, though that's just my thought - I'll leave it up to you...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 01:56
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Reputable Angel Investment Sites or Resources?

Possible Duplicate: Looking for a list of angel investors? I have been starting the preliminary backside coding to a new web project that I am starting. I have seed money that I am using for...

asked Jun 4 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Riddler Dev
131 points