Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

10 Votes
5 Answers
3.58K Views
Using consulting to bootstrap your software startup

I've been through some pretty brutal experiences recently with venture capitalists and I'm looking into ways I can start a company without VC money. Has anyone out there used consulting to...

asked Jun 24 '10 at 11:33
Blank
Craig Daniel
223 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Starting New School

I'm starting a new post-secondary school (college) that is project-based and the curriculum is student-centered and have definitely bit off a lot to chew. Funding and a partner would be nice....

asked Jul 7 '10 at 16:16
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
What's the process around transferring the cash upon a VC funding round?

Let's assume a startup and a VC agree to $X of funding in a Series A. What typically is the process (the mechanics) around transfer of funds from the VC to the startup? (A) Do the funds typically...

asked May 5 '10 at 09:26
Blank
Howie
148 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
VC funding and determination of a revenue model

In a recent group chat hosted by Joel Spolsky regarding the Stackoverflow Series A funding round, Spolsky was asked: "How do you envision making a profit?" to which Spolsky replied: "...the...

asked May 8 '10 at 11:06
Blank
Howie
148 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
What type of funding are you using?

I'd like to start a thread discussing the type of funding different startups are using and why. I think that there are a lot of people here who would like to hear the general experiences,...

asked Mar 30 '10 at 03:10
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
Do I have to be physically present in SF to attract investors?

I have been reading articles by Paul Graham on start ups and am currently in the process of deciding where to incorporate. What baffles me is that most tech startups move to SF early on when the...

asked Apr 6 '10 at 20:54
Blank
Vnchopra
418 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.55K Views
Startup Development Funding Path

I'm looking to do a internet based startup with a friend. It is heavily focused on the site development and although I haven't really made proper cost calculations yet, I'm guessing the initial...

asked Apr 15 '10 at 10:16
Blank
Danny
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.81K Views
Funding your prototype/alpha, cash or debt?

I will be funding my first web startup with debt. My reasoning is, it would take 12-18 months to save the capital required (I'm not a coder) and I would rather launch early and update often during...

asked Mar 11 '10 at 00:26
Blank
Bob Ross
119 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
How did your capital-raising experience differ from what you expected?

One reason entrepreneurs are so highly lauded is that they are asked to expose themselves to criticism, rejection and doubt in dosages that average mortals cannot bear. At no time is that more true...

asked Mar 24 '10 at 02:54
Blank
Sharon Drew
957 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Startup Visa: How can we secure funding from abroad? Is it flawed?

There is a proposal lately to push the US government to create a startup visa for brilliant innovators/entrepreneus from outside USA. With this visa, it is said that these innovators will be...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 13:05
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
4.73K Views
What are some resources to watch example pitches?

I like to learn by example so I am trying to find sites that are putting recorded pitches up online. Examples would be: Shark Tank on Jason Calacanis's This Week in Startups -...

asked Feb 28 '10 at 02:23
Blank
Nicky Hajal
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Has anyone had issues with too high of a seed-stage valuation?

I was sitting down with an experienced entrepreneur a few days ago who was telling me about a guy he was advising who was having no luck raising a Series A round. Apparently, when he got seed money...

asked Feb 6 '10 at 06:53
Blank
Frederick Cook
301 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Investor documents during fund raising

I have few question related to fund raising When you are raising money from VCs, what type of documents are expected from you? How much of your internal and confidential data/stats do you reveal...

asked Feb 6 '10 at 12:00
Blank
User2202
164 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
If one of your close acquaintances asks for some money from you, without a timeline or guarantee of returning it, how much would you cough up?

A close friend (or a mere acquaintance) of yours approaches you. States that he/she is badly in need of some money. And you oblige. In the back of your mind you know that the money would be...

asked Feb 8 '10 at 15:57
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
crowd financing - any opinions/comments?

What would your SWOT analysis say for following kind of website? phase 1: Get people/organizations who are looking for financing their projects. phase 2: Get people who can provide finance to...

asked Feb 11 '10 at 17:50
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.89K Views
What does it take to be an Angel?

I'm a wannabe Angel. I don't sit on a huge pile of cash, but my intention is to help startups in whatever possible way within my capacity. I haven't made a decision yet, as this thought has...

asked Feb 12 '10 at 19:18
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.13K Views
How does one create a startup without any seed funds and developers/coders?

Ok there is a startup idea in place; Not a big thing! Even the plan is 99% on paper; Considerably not bad! Two fellows have shown faith in the plans and agreed to partner ; good considering team is...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 16:47
Blank
Himanshu
56 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.54K Views
To Build or To Mockup?

I have a desire to build a software package in a niche area that already has some established competing products. I believe my Feature Set and ease of use could propel me well in the market. Most...

asked Feb 1 '10 at 16:15
Blank
Aaron
124 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
How to get an opportunity to meet an angel investor or business mentor for free?

How? Is there a smart or efficient way?

asked Jan 12 '10 at 22:32
Blank
Steven
1 point

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.79K Views
I am the founder of a website. If I go to meet an angel investor,what questions will he probably ask me?

I have developed a website. It is under internal testing. My website is a platform. You can ask for people to do something for you and you pay them; on the other hand, you can do something for...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 12:22
Blank
Steven
1 point