Business Model Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Business models

Is it possible to be a successful business and have a business model where you focus on website traffic with no ads, or immediate revenue streams, then after having good traffic introduce...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 13:25
Blank
User8969
11 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.87K Views
Would a voluntary fee work?

"How am I going to make money?" This is the question that's been bouncing around in my head for the last few months as I've been developing my site. Allow me to beat around the bush here, in order...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 04:46
Blank
Edit This
88 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Choosing a business to dive into

Let me start by giving a quick intro to myself. I've worked as a Technician for hosting companies, Systems Administrator for software development companies, as a CTO for a very successful online...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 11:45
Blank
Kerx Philo
118 points

12 Votes
5 Answers
8.79K Views
What is the secret of Dropbox's success?

Why is Dropbox so much more successful than many other sites that offer/offered essentially the same service?

asked Mar 11 '11 at 23:05
Blank
Zippy
871 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Is my code startup-worthy?

I created a pretty complex piece of software a while back for a client. I own all access rights to the code and can do anything with it. In a very brief summary, this code can connect to a...

asked Feb 12 '11 at 08:10
Blank
Cbmeeks
135 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.76K Views
Why isn't there a culture of paying for software frameworks?

Note: Cross-posted at programmers.stackexchange.com One of the side effects of the recent trend of "Lean" startups, and the app store era, is that consumers are more acclimatised to paying small...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 01:40
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
What are business models of open source projects?

I'm thinking about developing a software library for iPhone with my friend. Our target is a developing country where the mobile phone market is still very young, compared to U.S. The problem is...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 14:49
Blank
Killua
68 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.5K Views
Getting paid according to what a company saves

I am considering creating a solution, which would save large companies time. I am certain that they would save this time, so I am willing to sell my solution for a price that is proportional to...

asked Jan 23 '11 at 08:11
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Cloud based customer support service

If I was to build a free hosted customer support service, would anyone want to use it? i.e Community powered customer support platform (post public), with company help desk ticket support (post...

asked Dec 29 '10 at 11:14
Blank
167 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.67K Views
Business models for a software component

My company has developed a .DLL, meaning a software component, which needs to be a part of software to have value. This software component can be useful in a range of applications in everything...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 09:14
Blank
David
1,567 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Financial model examples for downloadable content subscriptions

We're preparing a pitch deck for our startup which looks to partly make money from downloadable content. We'd like to add a subscription model for the content, and we are looking for examples of...

asked Dec 7 '10 at 01:50
Blank
B20000
126 points

8 Votes
9 Answers
8.07K Views
How did you come up with your business idea?

For those of you who have successful businesses, how did you come up with your business idea? I'm trying to think of a business idea but none of the ideas I've come up with so far (currently about...

asked Nov 23 '10 at 01:23
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.5K Views
Business model for a White-labelled service

I've been asked by a client to create a White-label service similar to an existing product I have. The service will have the client's logo on it. The customers they bring to the service wouldn't be...

asked Nov 24 '10 at 07:00
Blank
Soitgoes
23 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
4.71K Views
Where have you found inspiration for a business idea?

I've found myself interested in starting a business for a long time now. Every now and again I come up with a promising idea, but after a few hours of running numbers in a spreadsheet or few...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 14:35
Blank
Duffbeer703
298 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Is it legal to rent out my notebook to others so they can use Software installed on it?

E.g. there is AutoCAD and Corel Draw installed on my Notebook. I bought those Apps some time ago. Can I let others use it and charge for it (per minute?)?

asked Nov 1 '10 at 20:55
Blank
Philobus
116 points

14 Votes
6 Answers
4.31K Views
Can a one-man company be called a startup?

Does a company, starting a business, need to have a real more-than-one-man team to be called a startup? Maybe this question is more about words than startups, but, nevertheless, I think the answer...

asked Sep 29 '10 at 03:11
Blank
Rem
352 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.1K Views
Most probable ".com" replacement for startups in the near future?

The most desirable generic top-level domain ".com" seems becoming less and less affordable for startups which cannot receive sufficient funding at early stages. The price of a decent ".com" name is...

asked Sep 30 '10 at 01:50
Blank
Rem
352 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
The business of free

This is a question there in mind for long time. There are hundreds of free services in web which doesn't have any ads or anything. It's totally free. Angels are raising fund these company and...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 10:08
Blank
Sarat
134 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.73K Views
How to integrate/combine Japanese learning with making money?

I'm teaching myself the Japanese language, in the meantime I need to make money. How can I combine/integrate making money with Japanese language learning?

asked Jul 24 '10 at 10:42
Blank
Jack
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
How to integrate/combine the process of writing a book with making money?

I want to write a book. But you know, writing a book requires a long time and I have no idea whether or not my book will sell out after it is written out. I want to make money, to have my own...

asked Jul 25 '10 at 14:48
Blank
Jack
116 points