LLC Questions

A corporate structure whose members cannot be held personally liable for the company's debts or liabilities. Combines characteristics of corporations and partnerships or sole proprietorship.

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
One-man startup wondering if I should recruit help, and the smart way to go about it

I'm looking to start a website to supplement my day gig. I have the ideas, funds, and skills to do pretty much everything by myself, except for the front-end design. I plan to own the site under my...

asked Mar 22 '11 at 07:20
Blank
User8810
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Freelance Application Developer forming LLC

I'm a super noob when it comes to this stuff, so please bear with me... I do a little freelance application development work on the side, and this has recently started to increase. I just took a...

asked Mar 22 '11 at 23:39
Blank
Mike Cole
106 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.58K Views
US Taxes Filing Process for Zero Revenue LLC's

I am currently employed full-time but the rest of my time is spent on my startup LLC. I was wondering when the US taxes deadline is for LLCs and, more importantly, what the filing process is when...

asked Mar 6 '11 at 09:56
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
C Corp vs LLC Taxes

I'm trying to figure out the various taxes taken out for a C Corp vs LLC. Single-member/ shareholder. (C Corp has more deductions.) C Corp: (1) Tax on profit (after deductions), (2) Payroll tax...

asked Feb 22 '11 at 08:53
Blank
Dave
46 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Can I pay a passthrough LLC member via a paycheck instead of a distribution?

I was doing the books for an LLC last year and our accountants told us that paying one of the members via payroll was not the correct way to pay them and that the member should be paid via a...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 07:56
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Business Operating under 2 names for CC purposes

I currently have a LLC that I am operating under. I am wanting to start a web service that will be accepting credit card payments. The web service will go under a name that is very different then...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 12:30
Blank
Kellenjb
116 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
13.1K Views
Do I need a DBA for my website?

I just registered my LLC, do I need a DBA if the business will be conducted under a domain name only? Also, what is the "business start day" for an internet company?

asked Jan 14 '11 at 10:33
Blank
Jason Glib
96 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.7K Views
I have an LLC, what's next?

I got the docs for my LLC and EIN, is there anything I should fill out or must do after setting up the LLC? The LLC is for a internet startup, offering a service free or charge, but might have ads.

LLC
asked Jan 15 '11 at 07:53
Blank
Jason Glib
96 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
5.37K Views
Should we convert our LLC to a C-Corp?

We've reached a point where we need either hard capital or strategic hire capital and as an LLC it seems like it is much harder to grant capital (either immediately or in a vesting process). Also,...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 01:43
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.93K Views
How many companies or LLCs exist where at least one of the partners did not put up capital to receive equity in the LLC?

How many companies or LLCs exist where at least one of the partners did not put up capital to receive equity in the LLC? For example, in an online business one partner may pay all of the bills...

asked Jan 25 '11 at 12:56
Blank
Anthony O
51 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Creating a Business for Side Programming

I'm an Android developer that has made money over some of the apps I've created in the past year. I have no corporate filing so I am currently considered a sole proprietor in the state of Florida....

asked Jan 2 '11 at 14:28
Blank
Futon
46 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
Property in state A. Can I make an LLC in state B own it with minimal hassle? (not doing any business, just holding the property)

I have property in state A I want a new LLC in State B to hold. The LLC wouldn't be doing any business or have income. If I want to get maintenance on the property (not lawsuits) would the...

asked Jan 9 '11 at 02:48
Blank
Dave
46 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.62K Views
Where to form LLC for military?

I am active duty military and looking to create an llc for a web app I'm building in my free time. I am a Florida resident but I'm stationed in Georgia. I'd like to keep everything in Florida if...

LLC
asked Jan 10 '11 at 04:12
Blank
James
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.01K Views
How specific should my answer be for type of business on the California LLC-12 form?

In the California LLC-12 form, Item 12 is "Type of Business". How specific should my answer be? I want to leave it as general as possible give myself the maximum flexibility. In case I need to be...

LLC
asked Jan 10 '11 at 15:26
Blank
User6451
25 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
13.9K Views
How to value intellectual property capital contributions to LLC?

My LLC operating agreement details the cash and non-cash initial capital contribution of the members. One of them is contributing the source code of the program that will be basis of the...

LLC
asked Jan 11 '11 at 15:18
Blank
User6451
25 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
2.57K Views
Some advice on if i should register as an LLC, corp or none of the above

I'm going to be working with some friends to start up a few websites. It won't always be the same group of people working on each site. Initially we expect to make no money on any of these sites....

asked Jan 11 '11 at 17:18
Blank
Merk
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Can a Legal Immigrant file for a LLC or Corporation?

I'm on H1B visa. Is it legal to register a LLC or corporation?

asked Jan 13 '11 at 03:45
Blank
Vanchinathan Chandrasekaran
115 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Granting LLC membership units to employees upon sale or acqusition

My company is an LLC incorporated in Massachusetts. We're looking for a way for our employees to participate in any upside if the company is sold or acquired. We don't want to award membership...

LLC
asked Dec 23 '10 at 05:50
Blank
Michael Monteiro
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Can US LLC own Indian Pvt Ltd

Does anyone know if a USS LLC can wholly own an Indian Pvt Ltd company? I know that many countries consider LLCs to be sole proprietorships and therefore do not allow them to own Pvt Ltds. Does...

asked Jan 1 '11 at 15:50
Blank
User6289
16 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
6.22K Views
What is the most tax-efficient structure for an LLC where the principals aren't drawing salary?

My partner and I have day jobs so we don't need to (or want to) draw salary from our startup. Our startup is already profitable but in our ideal world, the bank account associated with this startup...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 16:15
Blank
Avery Chan
123 points