LLC Questions

A corporate structure whose members cannot be held personally liable for the company's debts or liabilities. Combines characteristics of corporations and partnerships or sole proprietorship.

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.57K Views
Need to form company now, but want to make ownership / equity distribution decisions later

(background - few startups, business side) This is a situation that I've encountered a few times before. Seems not uncommon among startups. You're kicking around an idea - let's say there are 2-3...

asked Dec 22 '11 at 06:25
Blank
Jeff Townsend
21 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Three-person startup not sure which state to incorporate in

Currently forming a three-person startup; our members live in Tampa, Florida & Hayward, California & Arlington, Virginia. It will be a politics-based web game, and we are reasonably sure...

asked Dec 11 '11 at 07:33
Blank
Fox
126 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.07K Views
How much postal mail should I expect to get as an LLC?

I am starting an LLC in January 2012, and I'm evaluating various ways of obtaining a postal mailing address that is not my home address. I have to take into consideration the cost of such a...

LLC
asked Dec 12 '11 at 17:10
Blank
Bneely
575 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
We are an LLC from NJ, can we hire this guy from Canada, who is a temporary resident?

We are a small software based start up in NJ, we recently got a couple of projects from Canada and we're loving them. We came across this guy in Canada, he is very talented and we think he will...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 08:02
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Business Expense Question: Paying Rent

I have an LLC set up, and am learning my way with regards to keeping books etc. I was told recently that I can use the business bank account to pay up to 50% of my rent (being that I am the owner,...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 20:14
Blank
Zakman411
174 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
18K Views
Is it legal to accept donations as an LLC?

Similar questions have been asked, but I'm still not completely understanding. I have an LLC that sells apparel, and people have offered to give us donations because the idea of our company is to...

asked Nov 30 '11 at 01:00
Blank
Brandersnatcher
8 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Taking a Paycheck from LLC

I recently created an LLC and was curious to how I should take a paycheck from the business account. Up until this point, I haven't taken a paycheck and will need to soon. The business has a bank...

asked Nov 30 '11 at 09:54
Blank
Zakman411
174 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.79K Views
How to take a draw in a multi-member LLC?

My business partner and I are forming an LLC. As I understand, members of an LLC are not employees and therefore are not on payroll. Instead they pay themselves by taking a draw from the LLC...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 03:41
Blank
Sheehan Alam
194 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Dividing an LLC and bringing more partners down the road

I have been developing a game for 3 years now. And recently, a friend has joined me to work on the game with me. By next year, we plan to bring along an artist and musician to help us finish the...

asked Nov 6 '11 at 04:35
Blank
Vakey
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.35K Views
How to split up LLC ownership?

My friend and I are planning on forming an LLC around some services we are providing. I am working fulltime on our services and started the initial work 6 months in advance My partner has a...

asked Nov 6 '11 at 11:55
Blank
Sheehan Alam
194 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
How can I transition my personal funds to my LLC funds?

I am registering for an LLC after freelancing on the side. My current clients are writing checks to my name. Do I just simply cash these checks into my business account going forward?

asked Nov 6 '11 at 15:35
Blank
Sheehan Alam
194 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.88K Views
Can a US LLC do business in Canada?

We have registered an LLC from New Jersey and now we have have got couple awesome projects from Canada. They are software projects. Can we do them from here (US)? How about the taxes? Can some...

asked Nov 7 '11 at 13:01
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
4.83K Views
How to register LLC in USA or LTD in UK and bank account, for foreigner?

I am from Serbia, Europe (Not Europe Union country). I develop Android apps and would like to sell them on Android market. I can not register for Google merchant account from Serbia so I need...

asked Nov 8 '11 at 01:08
Blank
Saša Šijak
28 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
7.38K Views
What's the difference between an operating agreement and a founders' agreement?

I am part of an LLC and have heard a lot about operating agreements and founders' agreements. What are the differences between the two for an LLC?

asked Oct 29 '11 at 00:38
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Where to incorporate software startup?

The scenario: we are a startup software company that will be selling our applications through Apple's network (iTunes and Mac App Store). One co-founder is located in Toronto, Ontario. The other...

asked Oct 7 '11 at 08:24
Blank
Chris
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.83K Views
How to bring in a partner into an LLC?

The company I am joining is an LLC at the moment. The founder wants me to join as a co-founder of the business and the founder has agreed to give me 15% while he has 85%. We got a partnership...

LLC
asked Sep 23 '11 at 02:49
Blank
Sri
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
I'm considering moving out of state -- what costs will I incurr if I take my LLC with me?

I have a LLC registered in NJ, and am thinking of moving out of state. What costs will I incur transferring the LLC to another state (if that is possible)? Will I have to dissolve the LLC in NJ and...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 04:55
Blank
William C
106 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.44K Views
California taxes for single-member LLC: did I get them right?

After reading and reading about taxes, I think I've grasped which taxes I should pay and when to pay them. Still, it'd be really great if someone could confirm I have it right. I will appreciate...

asked Sep 24 '11 at 06:55
Blank
Claudia
52 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.09K Views
Considerations such as vesting for Founder Agreement

I'm planning to file a Delaware LLC for a partnership where I'm the majority owner of our self-funded startup. One key goal for me is to incorporate a vesting option among owners where equity is...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:35
Blank
Sheepish
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
In what state do I register my LLC?

I am starting a consulting firm with my friend who lives in Washington, D.C. but I currently live in Virginia. To make matters a little more interesting, I will also be moving permanently to...

LLC
asked Sep 16 '11 at 10:15
Blank
Bill
6 points