Patent Questions

10 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How should a startup deal with existing, ambiguous patents?

I've been thinking about a new idea I want to work on. After searching the USPTO, I found that there are many (hundreds) of patents around what I am wanting to work on, with a slew being very...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 12:50
Blank
Kirk
227 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.72K Views
what's the possibility I can patent a simple never-been done web app?

I'm looking to patent a method/core of my web app. It's actually pretty simple. What's the chance of me getting a patent for it?

asked Apr 2 '11 at 12:00
Blank
Matt
141 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Can I copyright or otherwise protect a business vision/strategy?

I am involved as a cofounder in a tech/software company. My associate is bringing initial funding and is conversant with finance/accounting, facilities/infrastructure and general organizational...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.57K Views
Is it hard to get into the hardware business?

In my head, I see the entry to the hardware business very difficult due to all the patents. Is this true or is it just me? Say I want to create a simple mobile phone with touch capabilities. What...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 07:46
Blank
Matt
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Patent a process

Are there any resources you guys can help me find to patent a process for a web app I have developed. Or give any advice or steps to get the process started. Thanks so much everyone.

asked Jan 7 '11 at 12:19
Blank
User5366
31 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
7.06K Views
Is it possible to patent a programming language?

I am considering inventing a new specialized programming language, which should increase the human/computer communication speed considerably. I, therefore, have two questions: Is it possible to...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 20:39
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
What does IP mean in Digital medium

From my understanding of Paul Graham's Article http://paulgraham.com/msftpatent.html, IP doesn't have much affect on digital products/services. For example, youtube, tinyurl, groupon, kickstarter...

asked Jan 1 '11 at 04:23
Blank
Manish Nair
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Do I need to apply for a patent?

My friends, wife, and even a partner, are all urging me to at least apply for a patent to discourage others from attempting to implement similar and/or competing software. Is this a worthwhile...

asked Nov 21 '10 at 04:16
Blank
Igorek
886 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
What is the best and least expensive way to trademark and patent your business IP internationally?

I am working on a start-up company to grow to become a big company to compete against some well known, popular, and in some ways powerful companies in the respective industries and markets today. I...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 15:23
Blank
User5732
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Where to publish innovative idea to create prior art status related the invention

A friend has an innovative idea about a service. To protect the idea from future patents, he has the idea to make the invention available to the public domain. Is a blog a relevant place to...

asked Oct 29 '10 at 08:36
Blank
Djondal
118 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Patents for Content Management Systems

I'm currently developing a Content Management System designed to manage video media. I have taken a look online and seen that there have been (US) patents filed for content management systems in...

asked Oct 10 '10 at 00:52
Blank
Richard
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.42K Views
How can I determine if someone owns the intellectual property rights to a word game?

I found a really cool word game that I would like to implement as a mobile app, though I don't if anyone owns the right to the concept. I know there are many games out there, such as Poker or...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 13:07
Blank
Beeeefy
108 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.86K Views
To what extent are algorithms patentable, especially in the US and Europe?

I'd like to use an algorithm that has been published. It's not a must have for me, but would be convenient. The creator might be difficult to contact, but that's obviously not a reason to do the...

asked May 6 '10 at 01:07
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.15K Views
Can an innovative data visualization be patented or protected in some way?

I'm working on developing a product in the US with many potential competitors. None of the current products deals very well with analysis once the data is collected. I have several unexplored data...

asked Apr 5 '10 at 15:39
Blank
Kpierce8
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
A question(s) about IP in a 'Web 2.0' startup

I'm laying the groundwork for what might ostensibly be considered a 'Web 2.0' startup. While I think that I might have some protectable IP, I think that these are not necessarily fundamental to the...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 01:43
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Is patent enforcement insurance all it's cracked up to be?

There are a few companies out there that seem to offer insurance packages for small(er) players in a market that want to be able to defend patents that are likely to be infringed. On the face of...

asked Dec 16 '09 at 01:07
Blank
Michael
250 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
How can startup be ready to defend IP/Patents if/when a competitor does infringe?

My startup is working on a consumer product (manufacture, sell, ship), where we have developed a really great improvement over our competitors. We have patent pending status, and will be entering...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 04:33
Blank
Michael
250 points

11 Votes
8 Answers
3.46K Views
Filing a Patent

I have a web based product which has some unique characteristics. The whole concept is not 100% unique but the way this idea has shaped up I think is unique. I want to apply for patent of this...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 01:55
Blank
Skillguru
344 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.69K Views
Enjoy patent pending status, or file for an early reivew?

My start up is getting ready to launch a retail product, for which we have filed (and expect to be granted) a patent application. The typical time for a patent to be reviewed is about 2-3 years,...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 06:51
Blank
Michael
250 points