Patent Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Patenting a website created with Ning.com

I would like to start a niche social media website but I have no knowledge of programming. I do have business knowledge but that doesn't help me in the actual creation of this website. I don't have...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 01:13
Blank
Christine
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Am I worrying too much about my IP?

I've spent the better part of the last several years developing a product/algorithm, and although I lack the time/funds to do an exhaustive patent search, I'm 99.99% certain that the algorithm is...

asked Aug 28 '12 at 02:56
Blank
H Y Wl Dya46v Zp0tjt N Wq F
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Once I apply for a patent, when can I start looking for manufacturers and engineers?

I have a (hardware) technology idea that several companies might be interested to compete with once created. Once I apply for a patent, can I proceed to scout for manufacturers, hire engineers,...

asked Aug 12 '12 at 00:36
Blank
Aditya Menon
112 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
How to publish a new technology without having patent?

I invented a new software based hardware technology which can solve many problems. I know getting a patent takes a very long time and is not an easy task. Do I have to apply and wait to get a...

asked Jun 18 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Eric
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.78K Views
Can a patent troll sue an overseas company?

Consider a common situation. A patent troll owning US patents finds a fresh target, decides to threaten it, his lawyer looks up the company address and surprise! it's not in the US. Let's say it...

asked May 15 '12 at 07:53
Blank
Borr
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.45K Views
One Ingredient of many in a Patent used on its own for another use

If a patent contains an ingredient in a product ,along with many other ingredients ,stated to be used for one application,would I get a patent on one of the ingredients for a use not stated and un...

asked May 4 '12 at 17:28
Blank
Peter
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
patent application filed without my name

I had a mobile application idea and shared my idea with my co-worker. Later, he suggested we file for a provisional patent together. We verbally agreed that each of us owns half of the patent...

asked May 6 '12 at 17:21
Blank
User17835
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Going to be on national television to pitch my software - Need Advice

This Thursday I will be filming for a Canadian TV show where I will be pitching my software to 5 Canadian millionaires to invest in. The TV show won't air until September. The software is...

asked Apr 11 '12 at 07:51
Blank
Mike
11 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
How to make US Software Patent Application by UK-based startup?

We are a UK-based web start-up and as far as I know it is not possible to patent software in the UK or EU (IMHO a good thing). But we would like to protect ourselves in the US by making a...

asked Mar 15 '12 at 20:59
Blank
Noel Abrahams
111 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
revive abandoned patent

My startup has a pending patent application that has recently been abandoned due to the inability to make the payment to respond to an office action. It costs thousands of dollars that we don't...

asked Feb 29 '12 at 17:35
Blank
Jason
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Offshore Patent

If someone in the US holds a very broad patent on a web based process in the US, is it possible to create an offshore company to circumvent the existing patent? What are the possible repercussions...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 08:23
Blank
Darthg8r
114 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
protect using a provisional patent

Suppose A filed a provisional application yesterday. Today, B files an application that is very similar to A's, and says 'her' idea is unique and patent pending. Will B get the benefits of her...

asked Feb 17 '12 at 15:28
Blank
Mhc
108 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Should I file patent under my startup's name or my own name

I am a founder of a startup company. I need to apply one or more patents for the software that I am developing and about to release. Now I wonder whether I should file it under my name or file...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 08:54
Blank
Tom
197 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.18K Views
Inventing a simple medical device and getting a patent before talking with a medical device builder

My wife is a surgical nurse and noticed a particular difficulty that surgeons have been having with a specific procedure. She has a beautifully simple idea for a relatively simple device that makes...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 02:34
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Can be a new PIM method patented in European Union?

I have constructed a new personal information management system. It allows to organize personal matters in a new way. Can I file a patent to European Union? I live in Germany.

asked Feb 2 '12 at 08:48
Blank
Steffen
101 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.89K Views
Patenting a Marketing Idea

Okay so i Know this question has been asked before but i feel like this is a little different. Can you patent a medium of marketing/advertising. For instance, billboards on the highway. Obviously...

asked Jan 19 '12 at 14:54
Blank
Alex Betz
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
How can we leverage a good design idea in the apparel space?

Some friends and I have come up with a unique design idea in the apparel space. This is NOT our core competency, but we've presented the idea publicly, and gotten extremely positive responses. I...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 09:43
Blank
Stringfellow
18 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Is there any place to post ideas and sell patents?

Everyone has their own ideas. Some patented ideas may be useful for company growth. Many companies look for innovative ideas. Is there any place to post patented ideas so that companies seeking...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 21:06
Blank
Gimp
427 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
App developed in company time has potential to be sold commercially. Need advise

Situation I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Viriato
144 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.64K Views
Violating US patents by having servers or domain name registered in the US

Following this question: What to do before offering e-services from EU to US? I have another one: A concern has been raised that if you have your servers in the US you may infringe a US patent....

asked Nov 11 '11 at 01:35
Blank
Fobo
146 points