Founder Questions

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
How much would/should it cost to have a lawyer review a founder agreement?

An associate and I are considering putting together a startup. We will likely (hopefully) have competent counsel draw up the incoporation paperwork. Since this will likely be the firm that my...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 03:40
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
Single Founder - Keyman Insurance

I like the lean startup approach and our company has been set up to minimise its fixed costs. So we have one founder (me) "inside" but our development team, finance partner, attorney etc is...

asked May 27 '10 at 18:45
Blank
Stealth
76 points

2 Votes
11 Answers
3.59K Views
The Single Most Important Trait of a Founder

So I've been thinking a lot about important traits of startup founders. I keep coming back to the notion that the single, most indispensable trait of a startup founder is the ability to pick up the...

asked Mar 28 '10 at 02:24
Blank
Fractal Guy
254 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.77K Views
How to get a potential co-founder excited about entrepreneurship?

I have a couple of friends who are sharp, technical guys that I may be interested in starting a company with. They are vaguely familiar with web startups (as a career), but are not tapped in to the...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 09:31
Blank
Frederick Cook
301 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.69K Views
How to vest founder equity with full time and part time cofounders

Here is the situation. I'm working with two other folk on our startup and we are now planning to incorporate. We're trying to figure out how to allocate founder equity between ourselves. So far,...

asked Mar 3 '10 at 08:09
Blank
Matt
113 points

13 Votes
6 Answers
34.3K Views
What's the difference: founder vs co-founder?

I'm not entirely clear on what's proper nomenclature... is there a difference? Say there are two individuals starting a company, is it proper to call them both "founder" or is "co-founder" the...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 04:54
Blank
Greg Belote
798 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.93K Views
New Year's Resolutions for a Start-Up Founder

What are some new things that a start-up founder should do next year? If I was making a start-up checklist for 2010, what would you put on it? Things you absolutely must do Things you should...

asked Jan 1 '10 at 00:12
Blank
Even Mien
131 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.35K Views
What is the ideal mix of founders for a SaaS startup?

I've been talking to some friends about ideas for a startup? There are plenty ideas and the common theme is that they're all SaaS webapps selling to small- or medium-sized businesses. What do you...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 09:29
Blank
Denis Hennessy
1,363 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Are there standard approaches to equity and compensation when joining early stage startups?

I recently met the founder of a web startup who is looking to build his management team. I would fill an executive position on that team. Last year, the company received initial angel funding...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 15:04
Blank
Robert
43 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
7.63K Views
How late in a startup's life can you bring in other co-founders?

Is there a time in the life of a startup after which you can't bring someone on board with the "cofounder" designation? I've observed additional cofounders coming onboard past the founding event,...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 18:07
Blank
Robert
43 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
If there was going to be a Founders at Work Volume 2 - what companies should be included?

Founders at Work proved to be a seminal piece of work for startup founders - a lot of things have happened since it's publication such as the "supposed" demise of Web 2.0, the rise of Twitter and...

asked Oct 21 '09 at 09:21
Blank
User287
164 points

17 Votes
8 Answers
3.92K Views
If my founder is losing interest

A few months into the startup and I have a feeling my founder is losing interest/passion/ability to put large amounts of time into the business. The reason this is tough, is because he's the...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 00:33
Blank
Ryan Graves
86 points