Founder Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.27K Views
cofounder - she's not leaving

So I've got a startup with a three friends of mine cofounding and on board. We used to have a fourth. When we originally started and got all of our documents in order, the fourth girl received a...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 07:00
Blank
Sdchargers
26 points

10 Votes
3 Answers
4.13K Views
Can a new company reimburse a founder for startup expenses after funding?

We have started a new web based service and are close to launching our prototype. So far the effort has been self-funded by me in amount close to $15k total expenses -- mostly for development. All...

asked Mar 3 '12 at 23:42
Blank
Dmoore
51 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
I'm (a co-founder) leaving my startup, how to deal w/ terms?

I helped co-found a company (with 2 others) that isn't in the black yet, I've personally put in at least 30k of my own money and have been in charge of most things. I've recently announced my...

asked Feb 22 '12 at 12:08
Blank
Kevin
16 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
3.3K Views
Should I quit the company I founded?

I will try to make this short. About nine months ago my ex boss offered to invest in a company for me. Our relationship even when it was not romantic was deeply emotional. I care a lot about him as...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 08:40
Blank
Jessica
41 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
No free Ride! Founder Shares

My question is this; I have four founders with the following ownership: Executive/founder/Me 1: 25% Executive/Co-founder 2: 20% Executive/Co-founder 3: 15% Corporate Partner/Co-founder:...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 12:18
Blank
Quentin
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
What equity should I claim as a founder CEO?

Some people I know came up with a idea of a startup. They will provide also the seed investment (50k) and contacts for future investment rounds. I will be in charge of the start up of the company...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 04:28
Blank
Thomas
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
How much say should technical co-founder have in deciding features/look of half-technical product?

Consider a startup that offers a specific technical solution to a generic problem in a certain creative industry. One core part of that solution is a website, and it caters to customers mostly...

asked Dec 4 '11 at 02:23
Blank
Geradeausanwalt
116 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.26K Views
The non-technology founder of a SAAS is usually middle-aged?

So my question is: Is the non-technology founder of a successful software as a service start up usually between the ages of 35 and 50 with lots of experience? If so, should I use their career...

asked Nov 24 '11 at 11:38
Blank
John
170 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.22K Views
What happens to the "Founder" status once I sell my startup

I founded and was running a twitter tool all by myself. I was the sole Founder, CEO,CFO and whatnot. But, now that I have sold the tool, what happens to my Founder status? Can I still brag the...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 19:28
Blank
Kpl
138 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.07K Views
Establishing shared ownership

What is a reasonable software start-up ownership share between founders when one is more senior, putting in some of his own money and able to raise angel money from friends, while the other two are...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 15:45
Blank
Sasha
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Investors willingness to pay founders to enable full t-ime effort

I have read all the streams here on this topic but didn't find an answer to the following specific concern: I am one of two founders of a new web service of an idea I first developed months ago...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 23:10
Blank
D Moore
174 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Pair of engineers with code, should we walk away from founder? How much should we ask for ($$)?

TL;DR: Worked a year+ on code we still own, founder refuses to raise capital (wants to bootstrap) and is now low-balling us, we're willing to walk away--what would you do? Long version (detailed...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 19:35
Blank
How To Use Our Leverage
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Sample agreements document for founders

Are there any good and short agreements document for founders? (not investors) Focusing on: Responsibility, e.g. hours of work (some of them may not be fulltime) Vesting period Any hints?

asked Sep 25 '11 at 03:28
Blank
Howard
126 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Partnership agreement advice -- I have the idea & ops, he has the marketing investment and industry exp

I successfully pitched a player in an industry about a business idea that offers a novel approach to creating leads in his industry. He presently runs a company that I'll call a "provider of...

asked Jul 25 '11 at 05:09
Blank
Springster
23 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.5K Views
What biography is both inspiring and relevant to a modern technology startup?

Who have you enjoyed reading about most? Which biography has provided the most insight and perspective into a brilliant founder's mind? I have really enjoyed Founders at Work, by the way - even...

asked Jul 17 '11 at 01:41
Blank
Brian
134 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
What is the value of my IP (in terms of equity)

Here is the scenario: I am the ceo/founder of a company that will be launching a website/application. The amount of cash I have invested thus far is less than 3,000. I am currently seeking...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 13:50
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
Getting VC funding but one partner doesn't want to dedicate full-time

I would really appreciate your guidance and advice. Great community. I am a co-founder of a two year old start-up that is finally getting proper VC funding ($1MM injection). Currently, the...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 05:09
Blank
Sbeekar
26 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Business website founder mugshots

On many business websites, the "about us" tab has some photos of senior staff together with short biographies. This question is about those photos. What makes a good founder mugshot? What does...

asked Jun 4 '11 at 06:40
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
In evaluating a co-founder offer, how do you value the benefits of failure?

I'm a tech guy looking to join a company as a co-founder. Quite often companies are in various stages. For example for 2 different business offers, pre-seed/pre-series A: Lets say founder A,...

asked May 3 '11 at 18:01
Blank
Daniel
157 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
4.01K Views
Does all money invested by VC/Angels go to the company's use or to founder's pocket?

Let's say when a one-founder company owns 100% share. He sells 20% to a VC for $1m. Does this $1m go to the company for its expansion, or founder's pocket, or just a percentage of this money goes...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 15:26
Blank
Victor
593 points