Pricing Questions

6 Votes
7 Answers
6.41K Views
Why do big companies need so much of advertising/sponsorship of events

Coca cola, pepsi, lays etc why do companies need so much of advertising all over TV's, internet, sports events...even after becoming a household brand. how much percentage of their profit usually...

asked Dec 2 '09 at 10:45
Blank
Syed
445 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
TV Video Copyrights - How it works?

Can somebody give me some ideas how the TV Video industry works? E.g. If I like a certain TV program which I would like to broadcast in a different country in a different language...what are the...

asked Nov 8 '09 at 09:05
Blank
Lud0h
264 points

5 Votes
11 Answers
3.43K Views
How totally insane would it be for your price to be "whatever you think it's worth"

This is a hosted (zero-install) web application. You create and account and stuff happens. The unattended costs (ignoring tech support, ads, etc) are easy to compute per customer. Here's the idea:...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 07:19
Blank
Jason
16,231 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Pricing Model - Copy, or Create?

We've got a few competitors, one of whom is the "Big Fish" in the market. I've priced all of them out, and they have various pricing models - each different from the others. And the "Big Fish" has...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 05:21
Blank
Josh Sam Bob
1,578 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
How do freemium services/open source softwares etc. make ends meet?

From a long time, I have been wondering how do services which are free or based on freemium models operate? Open source free softwares like Firefox, VLC player (if you are aware of it) or other...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 05:32
Blank
Himanshu
56 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.91K Views
When do subscription services charge you every month? When does that payment period end?

When subscription based services charge you a monthly fee, when do they charge it? First of the month? Same date next month? 30 days from original pay? For example if I pay for a subscription on...

asked Oct 28 '09 at 08:40
Blank
Vindexus
126 points

12 Votes
8 Answers
3.71K Views
Subscription revenue: $40 a year or $3-5 a month?

Hey there, I'm the founder of a site that helps families keep in touch. We're going to be buying our cash register soon, so we're figuring out our revenue model. We're deciding between two types...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 07:21
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

13 Votes
9 Answers
5.68K Views
Should SAAS have tiered pricing for different countries?

For a start-up providing a web-app to customers on a subscription basis, do you think that the benefits of different geographic pricing outweigh the downside? My rationale is that while North...

asked Nov 1 '09 at 18:56
Blank
User1084
363 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
3.84K Views
Should product/service prices be listed on your website?

In Camels and Rubber Duckies, Joel Spolsky discusses what he believes to be a poor pricing decision: Bad Idea #2: How Much Money Do You Have? Pricing. This is the kind used by software startups...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 15:39
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

14 Votes
7 Answers
4.45K Views
How can I determine a good rate for freelancing?

I've currently got a startup and a full-time job. I'm looking to transition to part-time freelancing so I can focus more on my startup. However, I'm walking into this completely blind, and I need...

asked Oct 17 '09 at 22:39
Blank
Micah
880 points

11 Votes
12 Answers
5.98K Views
subscription based models, how to determine pricing?

I am nearly ready to launch, however I need to determine a pricing for monthly payments by the clients. How do you price it? Each time a user uses the product it costs us money through hardware...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 04:53
Blank
Gagwgw
227 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
What's the best approach for dealing with region-specific tax when selling online?

I'm launching a product shortly which is an online service and has (I think) a global market. As a business, I have to charge sales tax* which means I have to add an amount to every sale to give to...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 07:25
Blank
Denis Hennessy
1,363 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
What techniques do you use to see if your product or service provides Value?

I use a simple formula to define value . Benefits - Costs = Value But the key thing to note is that what you think are benefits for the customers might not be perceived as benefits. Asking them...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 21:36
Blank
Anup
547 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.57K Views
Resources or guides to software product pricing

We found product pricing to be the hardest part of launching our product. What resources or guides (online or offline) have you found useful in thinking about pricing your product? I'm interested...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 22:24
Blank
D Thrasher
894 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.37K Views
Should the pricing be institutionalised?

I am in the process of launching my firm which will supply business promotion merchandise like bags, apparels, gifts, gadgets and so on. As the business owner I would be deciding on the margins...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 22:54
Blank
Nawaz
13 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.56K Views
Which pricing model to use for a product that requires a lot of support?

I am developing a product that potentially requires a lot of support. I am developing documentation and tutorials to remove the need for support as much as possible, but I can still see the need...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 04:58
Blank
John Soer
596 points

11 Votes
10 Answers
6.19K Views
Anyone experimented with $49.95 vs. $50 Pricing for subscription software?

I've read a lot of times in the retail world where the $49.95 (or $49.99) style pricing actually increases sales vs. just making it a round figure like $50. Has anyone tried this for a...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 03:59
Blank
Dharmesh Shah
2,865 points