Pricing Questions

12 Votes
5 Answers
8.8K Views
What is the secret of Dropbox's success?

Why is Dropbox so much more successful than many other sites that offer/offered essentially the same service?

asked Mar 11 '11 at 23:05
Blank
Zippy
871 points

10 Votes
6 Answers
3.31K Views
Agile With Fixed Pricing?

I am starting a company and am considering agile development, but I don't understand how a Fixed Price contract (the type I would like to use), could work. It seems like the point of Agile is to...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 10:36
Blank
Skaz
254 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
Convenience fees for third parties

We're looking into building a site that would facilitate receiving payments online for places that do no have this capability. There's more to the site than receiving payments, it also makes sure...

asked Feb 21 '11 at 14:00
Blank
Pbz
111 points

9 Votes
7 Answers
2.47K Views
The ramifications of testing prices

I would like to test prices for a SAAS (software as a service) product. I know how to do A/B testing. My question has to do with the ramifications of such testing. If we sell to Customer A for $99...

asked Feb 27 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.23K Views
General cost per click (CPC) price in developed countries?

I know this question is a bit artificial, please don't explain me the concept, etc. because I am a professional senior e-marketer. I was just wondering how much do you think one general link click...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 11:19
Blank
Vafello
106 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.74K Views
Enterprise Software: List prices?

Do you enterprise software people list your prices on your website? Most enterprise software seems to require the customer get in touch for a quote. What are you thoughts on this?

asked Feb 10 '11 at 05:59
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.69K Views
Comparing enterprise, self hosted pricing to SaaS pricing for a smaller client? Changing industry pricing models?

We're trying to figure out the pricing for a service we've been asked to provide (a couple times, in passing, actually in reference to something we've pitched that hasn't hit the mark "well that's...

asked Feb 10 '11 at 15:31
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.7K Views
Figuring out margin on fixed costs

I'm currently hashing out my price points for a hosting service that I plan on launching on Amazon AWS. The biggest line item in the budget is currently the machine time. I know that if I give a...

asked Feb 12 '11 at 07:07
Blank
James
139 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.77K Views
Why isn't there a culture of paying for software frameworks?

Note: Cross-posted at programmers.stackexchange.com One of the side effects of the recent trend of "Lean" startups, and the app store era, is that consumers are more acclimatised to paying small...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 01:40
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Startup discounts

I have started interviewstreet.com recently (helps in screening programmers). We have got around 10 paying customers who pay between $x-$y a month for the same product , same specifications, etc....

asked Feb 14 '11 at 21:18
Blank
Viv
482 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.44K Views
What enterprise software pricing models exist?

Just looking for some examples on what other people use as a pricing model for their enterprise software. Does anyone charge based on # of employees (not # of actual users)? We figure the # of...

asked Feb 16 '11 at 03:49
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.34K Views
Can anyone share experiences in licensing content?

I have two companies that have interest in licensing my business's content (training materials). I want to offer exclusive and non-exclusive pricing options, maintenance fees (for annual updates),...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 07:22
Blank
User6935
36 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
5.27K Views
Monthly or Annual Subscriptions? Or Both?

I wanted to know what people's opinions were on monthly versus annual subscriptions. If I did go with annual payments it would offer a discount over the month-to-month costs for the year. Anyways,...

asked Jan 14 '11 at 07:15
Blank
John
161 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
One-day-access trial pricing plan

I have a Japanese learning community website... Currently there are three main plans... Free: Access some of the content (some 20 lessons, a few cheat sheets, etc.), for free, forever. This is...

asked Jan 20 '11 at 02:25
Blank
Philip Seifi
132 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.51K Views
Getting paid according to what a company saves

I am considering creating a solution, which would save large companies time. I am certain that they would save this time, so I am willing to sell my solution for a price that is proportional to...

asked Jan 23 '11 at 08:11
Blank
David
1,567 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.75K Views
Good questions to ask when approached for a freelance web-development gig?

If someone approaches you expressing interest in having you perform web-development work, what questions should be asked? Assume you know only the bare-minimum : he/she wants you to develop a...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 14:16
Blank
Closure Cowboy
128 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
B2C - Should I have a free plan?

For a B2C subscription service, is it recommended to have a free plan? Based on my research, users who sign up free plan suck up a lot of support resources and a number of well known services have...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 11:56
Blank
User3462
345 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.44K Views
Should security updates be free?

A customer has found a serious security flaw in my software, over a year after their support period has ended. Should I provide a free update? The upgrade price is substantial, so I don't want to...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 23:32
Blank
Steve Hanov
596 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
2.75K Views
Should I charge for my service or not?

I have a product in beta (which is a minimum viable product) and am working on the release version. I had my early adopters take a survey and although a majority of them had great things to say...

asked Dec 20 '10 at 06:44
Blank
Nick H
120 points

14 Votes
1 Answers
3.55K Views
How much should we charge for an IT job?

The scenario We just got our very first medium/large size client. They are opening a new company which operates around a web application that will be entirely developed and maintained by us. We...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 03:16
Blank
Marco
173 points