License Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
Negotiating a licensing deal for my iOS app

I've created a fairly successful iOS app that sells for $9.99 in the App store. It brings in about 75k per year and has been featured twice by Apple since launch. In the past few months, three...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 16:29
Blank
John
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.52K Views
What permits and insurances do I need to open a taxi company?

I am interested in opening a taxi-like business where a passenger can order a taxi by phone (or through mobile app). I do not live in US now and the search has not yielded any answers to me. So...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 20:54
Blank
Neu
1 point

10 Votes
2 Answers
3.77K Views
What to consider when licensing source code

Component vendors like Syncfusion and Infragistics often make source code available to their customers (at an additional fee). Some benefits of this would appear to be: Enable customers to make...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 07:09
Blank
Paul Stovell
204 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.69K Views
create web service around a software is considered a license breach

If I create a web service and the web service uses a desktop program that I bought to generate the output, will I violate the license of that program? the web service will be used by the clients....

asked Oct 2 '11 at 23:51
Blank
Ryan
147 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Who is responsible for tracking copyright issues?

I have a brand new website for easy sharing of music. The files are intended to be copyright free (home recordings, podcasts etc). The system though could easily be used for music which does have...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 22:27
Blank
Max San
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
License to use a control suite

I am outsourcing development and design of a website and the vendor plans on using a control suite that requires a license. He claims to have a registered version and has a license to use it. As a...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 08:33
Blank
User3462
345 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Vendor's License E-commerce site

I am creating an ecommerce site that sells products all across the country. I am based in Ohio and so is the company. I want to know what vendor's licenses that I need to acquire to start selling...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 06:16
Blank
User889115
13 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.33K Views
MySQL and PostgreSQL licence issue

Our company wants to use MySQL for one software product, and our product is not open-source. Is it legal to use it freely? If not, how about PostgreSQL? Is this okay for our purpose?

asked Jul 18 '11 at 13:31
Blank
Josh Morrison
102 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.44K Views
Commerical Open Source and Community Open Source

I am thinking on working on an ERP system that I can sell or support on it. Currently, I have OpenERP and Tryton in my mind. Based on the comparison done on Wikipedia and other website, I was...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 10:38
Blank
Johan Sja
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.08K Views
Approach copyright holders to licence IP for my game

I built an electronic version of a popular board game. I got some good responses on avoiding legal issues, but I went ahead and built it anyway, keeping it private for obvious reasons. Everyone who...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 22:49
Blank
Pate
306 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
2.77K Views
Software licensing: Charge per-major-version or per one-year-free-upgrades?

We struggling for years with the best way to license our software and see two options: A) Minor service updates are free-of-charge and we only charge for each upgrade to a major new version that...

asked Jan 1 '11 at 21:40
Blank
Droplet
56 points

13 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
"What if you get hit by a bus?"

I'm negotiating a B2B licensing deal for some technology. I typically license it as a managed service, and don't share code, because I want to protect trade secrets. A new potential client is...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 12:21
Blank
John
96 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.74K Views
Should we license our source code?

We are a small shop that have developed a platform for developing applications that can run both in the cloud and on premise, A PAAS offering. You could compare it to Microsoft XRM or Salesforce -...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 05:47
Blank
Fredrik Tonn
40 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.95K Views
What is a server license?

I'm planning on using MojoPortal CMS to make websites for clients. They offer this addon called Form Wizard Pro with three different license. I want a license so I can use in multiple deployment....

asked Nov 14 '10 at 14:09
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
One license on multiple computers for development tools and OS

We assign a laptop and a desktop to our workers. Can 1 license of both windows and developer tools be used on both?

asked Oct 25 '10 at 08:54
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.45K Views
Mention of LGPL/MIT source code in a commercial software

My commercial software is using some code source licensed under LGPL or MIT. How and where should I mention this? Is it mandatory?

asked Nov 4 '10 at 21:29
Blank
Tom
23 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open source?

It's interesting how an open source product has a commercial version, nice business strategy to get market penetration! How did Magento create an commercial Enterprise version when magento is open...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:04
Blank
Blankman
131 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
looking to start a CPA practice

I have an accounting degree from New Zealand (many years ago!) but have never used it as a qualified accountant here in California just as a business consultant. I want to get my CPA license and...

asked Jul 23 '10 at 08:07
Blank
Roginla
88 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
3.01K Views
Giving away free licences to universities, charities and open source projects

How do you feel about giving away free licenses (original price: $2000 ) to universities, charities and open source projects of your software to spread the word? Is it a good idea? Shall we...

asked Dec 20 '09 at 00:13
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
11.2K Views
How do you price a technology licensing/white-labeling agreement?

We built a consumer facing web app and have been growing our user base by iterating on the product for a little over a year. A large media company has inquired about licensing our technology to...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 16:42
Blank
Rtc
41 points