Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

16 Votes
1 Answers
4.23K Views
Are we about to be shafted by a Corporate Shark?

My husband went into business with a gentleman who seemed to be very clued up (he's an accountant). He has numerous other businesses and was able to open doors that we would never have had access...

asked Dec 31 '10 at 01:06
Blank
Rodders
81 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.11K Views
Getting investors for the first time - how does financing work?

So how typically does financing work. Are investors basically giving me a loan that I have to pay back? Are they buying equity (so that upon business failure, nobody owes anybody anything)? Are...

asked Dec 6 '10 at 09:03
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.34K Views
The case of a co-founder (seeking answers on compensation/equity stake)

I am writing to describe my entrepreneurial venture and seek your comments on what I should expect for myself as the new company gets started. My colleague of many years at my previous company (a...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 00:51
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.65K Views
How to split profit in a property management business inc between two owners?

My friend and I are starting a property management business (inc). How do we determine profit sharing? We charge property owner a set percentage as a fee. We are thinking 50/50 on everything losses...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 14:21
Blank
User5860
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
How to split money, first startup/business I've done

I'm a software developer, and I am starting a SaaS company. Even though the project is not too complicated I do need the help of a fellow programmer that is more experience in the web programming...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 06:50
Blank
Francisco Noriega
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.01K Views
Minimum amount of equity angel investors expect?

What is the minimum (not theoretical, but realistic) equity stake an angel investor will be looking for in a new tech startup? Is it practical to offer equity in 1% denominations? Ex: give up 1%...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 09:26
Blank
Mr. Schwabe
147 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.01K Views
Maximum number of angel investors?

What is the maximum number of angel investors you could possibly (not theoretically, but realistically) bring in to finance your startup (given you have traction and exciting potential)? I'm...

asked Nov 27 '10 at 08:14
Blank
Mr. Schwabe
147 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.66K Views
Connecting a Technical Director's Pay to Company Performance ( In Addition to Equity Offering)

I have a friend, who was involved in a startup part time, and he got shares in it. Now he was offered to join the startup as a technical director ( the rest of the founders are sales and...

asked Nov 15 '10 at 11:46
Blank
Graviton
871 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.11K Views
What are reasonable ranges for cash and/or equity to have developer create MVP?

I'm roughly following lean startup methodology, having started with an idea, making mockups, showing to several potential customers, and even running a couple of crude pilots. Positive signals so...

asked Oct 25 '10 at 09:02
Blank
User4979
16 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
7.16K Views
CEO , what % of equity to give

I am the founder (100% ownership ) of a Startup which is launching a site ( Presently in stealth mode ) and addresses an UNMET Market need ( I hired developers on need basis and have spent my own...

asked Nov 3 '10 at 06:32
Blank
Lav
87 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Equity for Advisors

I've identified a veteran CTO of several successful web and tech companies who I'd like to be the first Advisor to my web-based startup. He could help me with operations, as well as business...

asked Nov 4 '10 at 14:06
Blank
User4979
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.52K Views
What do you think about FairSoftware?

What do you think about FairSoftware? I'm considering adding an unknown third to a spare-time startup that is not making any money, so I'm looking for the cheapest way to officially divide the...

asked Oct 12 '10 at 04:29
Blank
J. Pablo Fernández
412 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
4.21K Views
What's a fair share when calculating equity for a co-founder?

<2007 Nov> - company founded (with idea "A") by 1 founder, who's an engineering graduate, with no job experience but lot's of entrepreneural spirit <2008 year> - Idea "A" does well in...

asked Sep 25 '10 at 05:27
Blank
User4405
3 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.52K Views
How to distribute equity between founders?

Three of us are starting up a new company. Partner A brought the original idea. He also has the IP, the development of which was paid for by a third party. Moving forward, A will only dedicate 10%...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 07:43
Blank
Arnaud
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.88K Views
Fair equity/profit split when taking on a partner?

I am about to take on a partner to develop a software prototype I built almost a year ago and I need some guidance on deciding equity/profit split. I know out of past experience that I cannot...

asked Oct 5 '10 at 01:16
Blank
Pate
306 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.3K Views
Crafting a profit sharing scenario that is easily unwound?

This stems from answers to my other question on profit/equity share when taking on a partner. Some of the answers suggested that a profit share is suitable when taking on an employee, and equity...

asked Oct 5 '10 at 18:45
Blank
Pate
306 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
4.51K Views
Startup - 1 or 2% equity is good deal? Please advise

Two experienced guy with good business experience and good valley connections are looking for technical guy who can help them to start their startup. So I am the only technical guy who will help...

asked Jul 15 '10 at 04:26
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
19.4K Views
Can You Be A Partner Without Putting Up Money?

I'm running a LLC that is a spin off of another LLC. I was working for the original LLC for a year when the 2 partners decided to start the spin off LLC. I let the partners know I wanted to be...

asked Jul 21 '10 at 05:26
Blank
Anthony O
51 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.88K Views
Am I a CEO or COO?

Am I a CEO or COO? I am running a LLC that is a spin off of another LLC. I was working for the original LLC for 1 year when the 2 partners decided to start the spin off LLC. I let the partners...

asked Aug 4 '10 at 15:39
Blank
Anthony O
51 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
Co-Founders

So by this time you might already know I am working on a startup. I have a question about Co-Founder. I know your co-founder shouldn't be doing the same thing you do. For example, If I handle...

asked Aug 18 '10 at 05:53
Blank
Bhargav Patel
784 points