Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Re-evaluating founders' equity

When founders divide a startup's equity amongst themselves, are those numbers set in stone (ignoring future dilution)? I ask this because my co-founders and I are pondering whether we should...

asked May 13 '11 at 04:29
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3K Views
Profit shares vs voting shares

My co-founders and I plan to issue profit shares and voting shares separately. For example, I might receive 35% of the profit shares, and 15% of the voting shares. What disadvantages are there to...

asked May 13 '11 at 05:13
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.55K Views
Gross profit royalties vs non-voting equity

I began work with a small startup last year, working as a consultant. Consulting didn't last long because I saw great potential in the company and made it clear I wanted to be a part of it. I...

asked May 15 '11 at 13:38
Blank
Schneider
116 points

11 Votes
7 Answers
6.9K Views
First employee at Y Combinator funded company

I may have the chance to be the first employee of a startup going to the YC summer 2011 program. The thing is I think they are planning to cover my expenses but not to actually pay me or offer...

asked May 16 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Andy Boot
228 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
What is a fair equity share for four months of part-time work as an iphone app developer at an early stage startup?

I am being offered a 0.6% share in an early stage startup for being the lead iOS developer(probably the only iOS developer).The concept is good and the team consists of some smart people too.My...

asked May 17 '11 at 15:12
Blank
Samyzee
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
6.68K Views
Can I exercise stock options in a privately-held startup?

My options (ISO's) in a privately-held (VC-funded) startup are slowly but surely vesting. Can I exercise the vested options? What does it mean to exercise options in a privately-held company? If...

asked May 18 '11 at 00:59
Blank
Matt Solnit
123 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.03K Views
equity distribution and office space as investment

While crawling the questions being asked here, I saw that the question of the office space seems to be very important for many founders. As an investor (in the most global sense), I think that...

asked May 3 '11 at 13:39
Blank
Sylvain Peyronnet
371 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.65K Views
In evaluating a co-founder offer, how do you value the benefits of failure?

I'm a tech guy looking to join a company as a co-founder. Quite often companies are in various stages. For example for 2 different business offers, pre-seed/pre-series A: Lets say founder A,...

asked May 3 '11 at 18:01
Blank
Daniel
157 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.32K Views
Formulas for valuing an LLC for employee ownership plans

We're planning on offering some key early employees equity in our startup, an LLC, in the form of ownership shares. The benefits include: - proportional sharing in distribution of profits -...

asked May 5 '11 at 05:46
Blank
Karl R
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Equity Stake Decision

I wanted to get people's feedback on what you think is a fair equity split for my given scenario. I currently have a product where I originated the idea, fund the development/hosting/creation of...

asked May 5 '11 at 17:10
Blank
John
161 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Restaurant Equity Partners

I am seeking equity partners to invest in my restaurant. I am wondering how I can propose a deal where I would be able to keep majority ownership while not being able to put up more than 10% of the...

asked May 9 '11 at 05:04
Blank
Ryan
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.32K Views
Regarding Ownership Distribution

When vesting ownership shares to founders/employees, isn't a taxable event created without realizing cash income? In this case, as you build the company and create more value in the shares, don't...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 02:27
Blank
Ben Anderson
11 points

9 Votes
1 Answers
3.37K Views
Prenuptial separation agreement for cofounders

My apologies if this question has been asked before. I tried to find the answer reviewing other questions and still don't have the answer so here is the question(s): We are now setting up the...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 16:49
Blank
Miguel Buckenmeyer
482 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
Term sheet for family member?

When getting funding from family and friends, are term sheets necessary? The family member I've approached is more interested in becoming an investor, rather than owning convertible debt. Every...

asked May 3 '11 at 00:05
Blank
Shaun
71 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Is there a website dedicated to attracting *free* help in exchange for equity?

When you are starting a new company, its often hard or impossible pay everyone for services they can provide. Some people may be willing to work with\help you build your dream in exchange for...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 03:48
Blank
Bryan Migliorisi
449 points

10 Votes
1 Answers
19.1K Views
49/51 vs 50/50 Equity Split

What are the advantages and disadvantages of dividing equity 49/51 vs 50/50 between partners? Edit: 51/49 feels wrong, but there may be some startup cases where it is good if you are the majority...

asked Apr 21 '11 at 07:56
Blank
Pate
306 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
7.5K Views
What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment?

What is the difference between Series A, Series B and Series C investment for a startup? How does this affect salary and/or equity expectations if I am looking to join a startup in a...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
3.88K Views
How can a past employee protect themselves against share dilution?

What is share dilution? How can I, as a past employee of a company where I exercised my share options, know if my shares are subject to dilution? How can I protect myself in future from share...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.44K Views
25% for angel investor for 20k$

These days I am in process of raising 20k$ for my project (a facebook application), that requires at least 30k$ (10k of which I am able to come up with myself). When negotiating with an angel...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 17:27
Blank
User9950
31 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
Is it necessary for a co-founder to invest money when starting a startup?

Is there a requirement for such stuff where a co-founder actually have to invest a proportional amount of money when setting up their startup as a business/company? What if they just come with...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 12:35
Blank
Equino X
111 points