Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How much equity is a business plan worth?

Say one person comes up with the idea for a startup, and spends a significant amount of time over 2 years developing the business plan. That person then asks others to join the startup as...

asked Jun 23 '11 at 00:32
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
What to offer key people in my startup?

I have recently launched my small online business(sole proprietorship). I have no funding and this is something I been working on for the last two years on the side at night after work. I am...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 11:07
Blank
User11033
21 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Does this equity buyback structure seem odd to you?

My firm is offering me 5% of the company. The structure they laid out for buyback of this equity seems odd to me. What are your thoughts? "The purchase price of equity shall be equal to 5X net...

asked Jun 5 '11 at 16:35
Blank
Anthony
26 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.1K Views
Is this a fair partnership proposal?

I am the technical founder of a software product, the product is finished with good inputs from at least 6 to be customers. My to be Sales partner who is already helping me from the past 4 weeks...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 00:13
Blank
User11074
39 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.03K Views
Negotiating equity/commission working for friend's startup

I've been working with a friend's startup for about six months now. We have minimal revenue thus far, but things look to be on the brink of coming through. My role with the company has yet to be...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 06:43
Blank
Bspring18
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
Need advice on Startup Equity Distribution for a Social Network Website

I an a technical guy, plans to goes full time for a startup to build a social network site, with a friend who is a business guy. Initially, he will work for part-time until our startup is enough to...

asked Jun 10 '11 at 01:42
Blank
Jack
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Bringing part time hacker on-board for equity only. How much equity is fair?

[Disclaimer: This question was also posted on Hacker News] Howdy, Just 6 weeks ago my co-founder and I began working on our startup full time. We want to accelerate development and have talked to...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 09:42
Blank
Caffeinated
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.49K Views
Start up employment - Trial period with ambugious compensation, how to evaluate?

A company (pre-funding) wants to do a 3 month trial period with me. I received an offer for X shares of stock. How do I determine if I am properly compensated for my efforts? The value I would...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 17:41
Blank
Daniel
157 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.22K Views
Equity share for a 3rd member joining a small startup

I joined a small startup company roughly 1 year ago as the 3rd member of the company. At the time of joining, the company was roughly 6 months old; the company is contract work based and the 2...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 03:58
Blank
User192585
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Provide services to S Corp through LLC

I am part of an LLC along with two other partners. One of the partners wants to provide services to a company as a source of additional revenue. I am ok with that but since the compensation for the...

asked May 26 '11 at 10:19
Blank
Kan
46 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
My sales person (independent, not employee) wants to be an angel investor

I started a surveillance technology company in May 2010. Since the beginning, we have been working with a person that has been in the security industry for quite a while. He was providing some...

asked May 27 '11 at 04:47
Blank
Michael
234 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.97K Views
Full-time vs part-time and equity

At the moment, my co-founders and I are working on our startup part-time. We're in the process of figuring out how many shares to allocate to each person. If one of us quits their full-time job to...

asked May 19 '11 at 06:19
Blank
A Fake Username
86 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Startup Employee Equity Agreements

Is a one-year cliff with no accelerated vesting typical?

asked May 20 '11 at 03:53
Blank
User7991
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Startup Company and Equity for Members

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I am looking for some advice on how to setup equity for members of my company, which is a location-based social network for iOS devices. As it stands...

asked May 22 '11 at 02:40
Blank
Canty Jeffrey
10 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Does Company Equity Entitlement need to be in your employment contract?

Should a company equity entitlement be stated in your employment contract? If not, what entitlement to any equity do you have? Particularly if you're already employed there?

asked May 24 '11 at 02:57
Blank
Chester
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Start-up Company - Legal Advice and beyond...Where do I go from here?

My question is pretty broad, but I am just wondering the next logical steps to take in establishing and distributing equity in an iOS App Business Startup. What form or document do I would need to...

asked May 24 '11 at 13:47
Blank
Canty Jeffrey
10 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Equity and compensation for boot strapped venture

I have been approached by a friend to help with the business side of a venture that he has developed/bootstrapped. No external funding until now. He has developed a working product with outsourced...

asked May 25 '11 at 16:30
Blank
Paddy
31 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
3.59K Views
Developer Working for future equity

I've read similar questions but like anyone asking a question I think my situation is different. My background: I've been working full time since 06 and currently work as a Sr. Developer on a...

asked May 26 '11 at 05:59
Blank
Josh
36 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
Structuing Equity Sale in Early Tech Startup

I have a few Angel investors, and a meeting next week with serveral VCs (brought to the table by the primary Angel), and I am trying to put together the equity sale package to present to everyone...

asked May 12 '11 at 23:48
Blank
Entrepreneur
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.69K Views
Best book for learning corporate finance

There are a lot of books out there which hit on these concepts: Discounted cash flow: NPV, IRR Return on equity WACC CAPM Capital structure: Debt vs. Equity However, most of these books broach...

asked May 13 '11 at 03:00
Blank
Jgoldberg
6 points