Stock Options Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Startup Employee Equity Agreements

Is a one-year cliff with no accelerated vesting typical?

asked May 20 '11 at 03:53
Blank
User7991
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
6.68K Views
Can I exercise stock options in a privately-held startup?

My options (ISO's) in a privately-held (VC-funded) startup are slowly but surely vesting. Can I exercise the vested options? What does it mean to exercise options in a privately-held company? If...

asked May 18 '11 at 00:59
Blank
Matt Solnit
123 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Who owns the Stock/Options Pool?

Wondering who owns stock/options pool before they are given out, e.g. in case of vesting. The company? (if yes, can an LLC own stock/options?), or the investor?

asked Apr 28 '11 at 00:45
Blank
Tamberg
113 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
OK to issue options before the first financing round?

For a small startup, I'd like to give options to members of an advisory board and one other person. However, one of my lawyer friends says to wait until after the first round of financing to give...

asked Apr 17 '11 at 04:29
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Stock Option Plan for Contractors?

I'm starting my first company (software for Reputation Management) and will be contracting 3 guys; 2 full-time paid and 1 who is doing work pro bono. As it happens in the early stages of companies,...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 00:55
Blank
Kamila
11 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
4.31K Views
How many shares of stock to create when starting a company

I am thinking of creating a startup and want to allocate stock to various co-founders. Is there any sort of system for knowing how many shares to create of a new company?

asked Mar 21 '11 at 04:48
Blank
Zachary K
208 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.89K Views
What questions should I ask about stock option grants?

What are the right questions to ask when someone is providing stock options as a form of partnership?

asked Mar 3 '11 at 15:11
Blank
User8244
11 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
4.94K Views
Stock options for a senior engineer at an angel funded startup?

I joined a startup 6 months after its founding as a junior engineer (I was right out of college at the time). I've been with the startup for almost 6 years now, and I've progressed to the point of...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 08:39
Blank
Seth
134 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Is a company allowed to overcommit stock options?

Here's an example, just in case the question isn't clear. 20 employees, 20 million shares in option pool. Each employee is given 2 million shares with standard terms (1 year cliff, 25% vesting on...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 13:58
Blank
User6451
25 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
6.8K Views
How much in stock options should we offer new employees?

We're a software startup with annual revenue in the ballpark of half a million. We're completely bootstrapped, and have no current plans to take funding. We currently have 4 employees. We're...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 04:28
Blank
Polemarch
301 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding

Suppose someone needs to incorprate a C-corp, for a high tech high growth business. How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding. Or it only matters how...

asked Dec 13 '10 at 21:30
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
Advice on measuring participation of a new company

I am creating a new startup, the startup is going to consist of 4 members and I need some advice on how to split the participation etc. Here is a brief description of each member and there...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 01:05
Blank
Daniel
121 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.4K Views
How do I evaluate a job offer as a software engineer?

I got a job offer from a startup with about 70-80 engineers. I'm a fresh PhD. I'm getting about 0.01%. What percentage of stock options would be a fair price? They gave me a good base salary...

asked Oct 4 '10 at 11:03
Blank
Wei Hu
113 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Co-founding with someone I don't know very well

I am starting a company without enough money to pay a second person a salary, but I need the help. I've found someone who seems great - his previous work is beautiful, he has already done some good...

asked Oct 6 '10 at 06:30
Blank
Riley
193 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
How to set Option Exercise Price?

I just incorporated a Delaware C Corp a few months ago and have no significant activity yet. I have 2 Advisors that I need to issue options to, and my question is how do I set the option exercise...

asked Sep 7 '10 at 08:47
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
Unvested shares

Let's say a Founder currently owns 100% of the company but wishes to offer 10% of the company to a part-time contributor. He offers a 4-year vesting period to that contributor with a 1-year...

asked May 21 '10 at 00:19
Blank
Stealth
76 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.81K Views
What are the differences of offering Incentive Stock Options or Non-qualified Stock Options to Employees?

I remember at one point a startup will switch from offering ISO (Incentive Stock Options) to offering Non-qualified Stock Options (NSO) to employees? Can the startup decide which to offer, and...

asked Apr 25 '10 at 00:34
Blank
J Lynch
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Taking Stock in Clients

All, I run a contract engineering firm, and I'm considering taking stock in some of my clients in return for reduced rates. I feel comfortable doing this given the continued level of income from...

asked May 8 '10 at 01:31
Blank
Xkenneth
140 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.15K Views
Incentive Stock Options (ISO Pool) - How much to earmark?

Based on your experiences, I'm wondering if any of you had any advice on the percentage can I expect to earmark for ISO pool when incorporating? 10%? 15%? 20%? Thanks!

asked Mar 3 '10 at 06:31
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.76K Views
Founder's Stock - Class F Common

I've first heard of this special class of stock through The Founder Institute. It's basically a way for founders to protect from dilution by authorizing both Common stock and a special Class F (for...

asked Mar 6 '10 at 08:51
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points