Community Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
How to find people interested to participate in a brand-new open-source project?

I recently set up an open-source infrastructure for Obix. Obix is a new, object-oriented programming language designed to help people writing more reliable code in less time. More information can...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 17:05
Blank
Christian Neumanns
11 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Does my CMS choice limit the scalability or types of services I can integrate?

My start up business will be a social service that also hooks to a mobile application. I want my users to be able to interact with my service over their phones or on their PCs. Naturally I'm...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 18:35
Blank
Long Winter
271 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
How does one go about starting a community/forum?

Active forums and communities take on a life of there own. My question is how to get started. A forum with tumbleweeds rolling through it will never get anywhere. There is some kind of minimum...

asked Mar 19 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
How do I choose the right sub-segment to market my new Q&A community to?

I'm launching a new Q&A community and was wondering how specific a market I should target while seeding and promoting the site in its early stages. If the ultimate goal is for it to become the...

asked Jan 19 '11 at 03:09
Blank
Zakgottlieb
103 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
How to gain members, contributers, and a community

In the next year or so I am opening up a website that targets coders and designers. Some features will be a blog (or blogs), categories to submit stuff and also a forum to help build a community....

asked Dec 18 '10 at 14:09
Blank
Trippy
106 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
How do you get initial exposure for a community-based crowd sourcing website?

For the past year I've been working on a recipe-sharing startup called Fridge to Food based on the idea of crowd sourcing recipes. We went to public beta a few months ago and I've been doing rounds...

asked Dec 22 '10 at 04:13
Blank
Daniel Bingham
148 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.8K Views
In a community based startup, what is a good community growth velocity? What is a worrying one?

I know this depends on the community in question, how actively I am marketing it, how well search engines have indexed it and so forth. But I was wondering if there are some good guidelines in...

asked Nov 28 '10 at 05:36
Blank
Daniel Bingham
148 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Marketing for the initial community of a community-based startup

My team is soon to release a new website. Essentially, the site is a collaborative game that relies on the community to be sustained. What are some techniques/ideas for gathering the initial...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 01:24
Blank
Stephen Watkins
126 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
What to do with a semi successful side-project?

Beside my two startups I invest 99% of my time in, I have several side projects I started just for fun. Trying out new programming languages, those kind of things. One of these side projects is a...

asked Sep 5 '10 at 05:38
Blank
Marckohlbrugge
121 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
4.35K Views
Would you put an open discussion forum on the products website?

We have a website, which is the entry point to install our software product. The software is targeted to wide range of individuals. My question is - should we put a forum on our website and allow...

asked Jun 30 '10 at 19:58
Blank
Pawel A
191 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How can I kickstart a community?

I have the idea to open a user targeted community. This is based on an unusual business case where the software developped is actually also / mainly used in house (and planned to be turned into a...

asked Jun 6 '10 at 17:10
Blank
Net Tecture
11 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Best way to build community for this online debate site?

I am in the process of reaching out to various groups on linkedin/digg/reddit/twitter to find participants. Anybody have input on my idea, or advice on the best way to organically grow this...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 18:36
Blank
Robbie
40 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
Incentives for users in a community?

I'd like to brainstorm with some others on what you think are options for "incentivising" users to use a site in a community. eg. things like user retention, and increasing the odds that people are...

asked Dec 25 '09 at 08:56
Blank
Matt
460 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.37K Views
Tips and best practices for building a great forum community

We're building an online community which will have a very active forum with large user base. Please share your experiences and tips on building a large forum community. What're the initial...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 08:50
Blank
Boolean
388 points