Intellectual Property Questions

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Start-up IP dispute in Canadian Corp

I'm currently in an intellectual property dispute over software I developed in a new start-up (Canadian corp). It was written under the false pretense that I would have 25% ownership of the...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:27
Blank
Adrian Schneider
456 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
2.66K Views
New startup advice

I work for a church here in California as a gfx designer. 8 months ago I had an idea for a web service we could use at the church I work at. I spoke to my pastor (boss) about the idea and he said...

asked Nov 13 '10 at 06:13
Blank
User5366
31 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.42K Views
How can I determine if someone owns the intellectual property rights to a word game?

I found a really cool word game that I would like to implement as a mobile app, though I don't if anyone owns the right to the concept. I know there are many games out there, such as Poker or...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 13:07
Blank
Beeeefy
108 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
When looking for a technical co-founder, how to protect IP?

I understand the process of looking for a technical co-founder may involve interviewing several people, some of which won't be a good fit, or won't have the right credentials or life situation,...

asked Oct 3 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Bruno
81 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
Distribution contract review rates and services

I would like to have a distribution contract reviewed by a lawyer specialized in worldwide intellectual property, to ensure that the contract is fair for all parties involved. I asked to one...

asked Aug 9 '10 at 21:46
Blank
Hpique
103 points

13 Votes
5 Answers
43.8K Views
Can I use the logos of other companies on my site?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can I use the logos of other services and companies on my site? Ie, if I wanted to put up a graphic of some services that relate to local internet marketing,...

asked Aug 12 '10 at 06:27
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.86K Views
To what extent are algorithms patentable, especially in the US and Europe?

I'd like to use an algorithm that has been published. It's not a must have for me, but would be convenient. The creator might be difficult to contact, but that's obviously not a reason to do the...

asked May 6 '10 at 01:07
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.99K Views
Startup my own or work for an established startup

Over the past 2 years I have been developing my own business. Recently we have gotten some traction and are moving forward--code is being written and things are falling into place. I feel very...

asked May 7 '10 at 07:37
Blank
Csumme
146 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
A question(s) about IP in a 'Web 2.0' startup

I'm laying the groundwork for what might ostensibly be considered a 'Web 2.0' startup. While I think that I might have some protectable IP, I think that these are not necessarily fundamental to the...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 01:43
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.51K Views
Trademarks: do I need to register them in every country?

We are selling a product internationally through our e-commerce based in Hong Kong and were wondering if our Hong Kong trademarks have any legal power in other jurisdictions. If not, do we really...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 06:26
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.34K Views
What are intellectual property warranties and when should they be used?

What are intellectual property warranties and when should they be used? I found this site: "IP Warranty, Indemnity, or both? " however, it is still not clear to me exactly what they are and how...

asked Mar 9 '10 at 00:28
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.38K Views
How do you discourage piracy of your software or IP?

We're reviewing/exploring anti-piracy measures for a new software product. There is a desktop and a web component. What tactics are you using to prevent/discourage piracy of your software and IP?

asked Feb 19 '10 at 08:08
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.3K Views
book name as Tag line for my website -- intellectual property issues

I am planning to use the name of a book (about 3-4 yrs old) as the tag line of my website. Its three words long. What are the IP issues here, how do i know if i can use it legally or if the author...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 10:44
Blank
Syed
445 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.71K Views
Startup organization before incorporation

I'm beginning a startup at my school. Right now its just me doing all the work, but i am gathering a team that will ideally be my co-founders. I wont be incorporating any time soon, but i will be...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 10:29
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.96K Views
How do I broach the idea of me owning the rights to software when a company is paying me to write it

I am working on a web application that is going into beta test next week for safety engineers, but the company that is paying for it is safety engineers. Ideally, if I had the ownership of the code...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 16:53
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
5.78K Views
Who owns the IP rights for a product you're making outside working hours (in USA)?

Does the company you're currently work for owns the IP rights if you are creating a product after work hours? Is there anything that can defend me if the company at one point claims that they own...

asked Dec 4 '09 at 21:00
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

16 Votes
6 Answers
4.88K Views
Is it worth it to register a trademark for a software product that I am developing?

I am working on a new software product, it is a web-based contact manager and I would like to know if I should register the name as a trademark? is it worth it? and if so, should I do it myself or...

asked Oct 17 '10 at 09:49
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points