Intellectual Property Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Which Country is Suitable for Legal Protection in Game Automation Software Development

After reading today's Gamasutra article about Jagex vs Impulse Software, and considering my own academic activities, I suddenly became very concerned with my legal protection. As such I would...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 07:15
Blank
Kort Pleco
891 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Valuing intangible assets in an LLC sale

Upon sale of an LLC, how would I express the values of intangible assets the LLC has generated (e.g. certain access rights, processes and procedures, IP, and customer relationships)? These are...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 03:46
Blank
C Cummins
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.48K Views
CA Labor Code Section 2870, does this apply to out of state employees?

If I live in another state, and work (salary + telecommunte) for a company located in CA, (EA with the usual "Works For Hire Agreement" which states "The Company shall be the sole and exclusive...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 15:39
Blank
Anon
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Interpreting Invention Assignment: what does "is not related" to the company's business mean in employment contracts?

I'm talking about those Invention Assignment clauses in employment contracts (especially with regards to California labor code section 2870) "Prohibiting employee assignment to an employer of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 21:34
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
court precedence on California labor code section 2870

Does anybody know of any actual court cases involving California labor code section 2870 which gives a clear precedence as to how judges would rule in such disputes (eg. a programmer makes...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 17:26
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
How do I protect my innovative product without a patent?

I'm currently building a working prototype of my product for my home business. Without giving too much away, it is a product you can use around the house to make maintenance a lot easier and almost...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 08:15
Blank
Kevin
10 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Where does the rights to the software lies when I've used them in the company?

I've developed an authoring tool for games and also a player that plays them on Android. One year ago I founded a company with friends and we've published some really cool games by using the engine...

asked Dec 3 '11 at 00:15
Blank
George Breed
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Intellectual Property and Day Jobs

I run a small tech company providing custom web development (in Ontario, Canada), and I have a few clients. However, as I am still a student in university, I have co-op positions that I take every...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
Creative solution for copyright infringement by UK university

This question is sort of a follow up to: Creating non-profit startup from open-source software project Selling using the honor system Basically, I'm selling software on the honor system for $5 to...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 00:34
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
App developed in company time has potential to be sold commercially. Need advise

Situation I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Viriato
144 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
Consulting on work related to future planned product

We recently approached a large company with a proposal to build them an application we thought they'd find useful. The idea is that they'd partner with us to get it developed and get unlimited...

asked Nov 24 '11 at 13:18
Blank
Terry B
121 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Intellectual Property for similar software with 2 different clients

I run a business developing my own software that I license out, but also coding projects for businesses at hourly rate. So clients employ me as a contractor to do this. Many of these projects are...

asked Nov 28 '11 at 20:49
Blank
Roger
52 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
3.53K Views
Our client wants ownership of the code + no competition clause, but we need to re-sell this program in order to make money. How do we compromise?

TL;DR: "A client contracts us to build the engine for Warcraft I, does client have right to stop us using the same engine for let's say.... Skyrim?" (No contracts have been signed YET) Actual...

asked Nov 29 '11 at 08:01
Blank
Peter Peng
31 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.61K Views
User Elected Image Copyrights

Environment: Our project allows teachers to create learning objects (activities, lessons, videos) that may incorporate uploaded images for the purpose of language learning. Our EULA states that...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 05:31
Blank
Laramie
192 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
Can we set NewCo's initial valuation at zero?

Background : Company A has developed a software product. Revenue is about $8K per month; margin is about 75% (after royalties). Debt owed to angel and family/friends investors is about $550K. The...

asked Nov 9 '11 at 09:50
Blank
Starting Fresh
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.69K Views
Would this idea violate any law?

The idea is this : My website would just embed videos from various websites like youtube, metacafe, etc. I want to have users log in and comment or discuss on the videos I embed. The purpose is...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 10:03
Blank
Sunil
128 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in Western Europe

Joel's answer on "If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time?" certainly was an interesting read. However, it was pretty much centred...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 01:23
Blank
Pepijn
123 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.18K Views
Forced to sign intellectual property agreement or be terminated after 4 years of service

I have worked for a small 25 employee non-profit in the US for the past 4 years. About 9 months ago, I identified some deficiencies within the company in the areas of data management and...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 11:43
Blank
Jak
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Software copyright after dissolution

I was part of a joint venture that is in windup mode. The software was mostly a compilation of open source software. No patents filed or anything like that. However, the lawyer is selling assets...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 18:38
Blank
Rkm
16 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.89K Views
Where to find a template for a general-purpose Independent Contractor Agreement?

We want to hire some freelancers in the US, Germany, Russia and Japan. The book "The Business of iPhone App Development" from Apress references an Imdependent Contractor Agreement template. The...

asked Oct 2 '11 at 20:03
Blank
Openfrog
111 points