Intellectual Property Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Is there any issue if my service APIs are very similar to my competitors

We have a web service and offer APIs for customers to integrate and create other customizations. Since following ReSTful design, we found our design eventually are so much alike our competitors. If...

asked May 5 '11 at 08:06
Blank
Steve
16 points

10 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How should a startup deal with existing, ambiguous patents?

I've been thinking about a new idea I want to work on. After searching the USPTO, I found that there are many (hundreds) of patents around what I am wanting to work on, with a slew being very...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 12:50
Blank
Kirk
227 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
4.33K Views
Should I give away my idea to an incubator program?

I'm considering applying my site, currently early in development, to YCombinator. Do I risk having my idea stolen by going through with the application process? They're asking very specific...

asked Mar 31 '11 at 03:40
Blank
Edit This
88 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
In what ways I should/ can protect my rights before divulging my business idea or related information to anyone?

I am in the process of creating a web based start-up which is about a web-portal/application. In what ways I should/ can protect my rights before divulging my business idea or related information...

asked Apr 2 '11 at 02:34
Blank
Aklin81
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
attending tech event before MVP

Short question Would you expose your project to a tech event before having a first version publicly available? Details I'm building an app that has a set of specifications for first version,...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 17:31
Blank
Leadgy
222 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.54K Views
Copyright/IP of sudokus

I have recently learned how to do constraint processing and I figured out how to generate sudoku puzzles. I thought it would be interesting/fun to create an interactive website for these puzzles. I...

asked Apr 8 '11 at 12:39
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
How do you prove a computer-generated work was independently generated by you?

This question is related to one of my earlier posts about the ability to copyright sudokus. I have written a program that generates sudokus and I want to make a website with these sudokus. It seems...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.98K Views
Prospective investor/partner asking for source code, what should I do?

After developing a unique software product for the past 5 years, I am looking to team up with a business developer that can get the right investment for going viral... The prospective business...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 04:08
Blank
John Sel
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.16K Views
Intellectual Property question about version 1.0 of a web app

What is the motivation for small companies to release version 1.0 that has the most important features that define the application? Couldn't a bigger company just replicate these features over the...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 05:15
Blank
Leadgy
222 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.88K Views
How to Copyright a Marketing Idea

I have a few marketing idea that I have done some research on and have not been able to find other people who have done them. Since I am not in any businesses that could use the idea I wanted to...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 06:50
Blank
Dave Long
111 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
6.4K Views
How long would my previous employer have to sue me, claiming intellectual property rights on an iPhone app I wrote?

I was reading this thread - If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? It has some great answers to a question I felt...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 05:48
Blank
User7507
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Can I name my website the same as someone else's if it already exists?

If I own DomainName.com but someone else with DomainName.info already has a site named "Domain Name," am I allowed to call my site "Domain Name" as well?

asked Feb 14 '11 at 19:01
Blank
Travis
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
What are the legalities concerning supporting open source software?

For the last couple months, I have been building small HTPCs with a variety of software on them, tailored to what my customers (so far just my friends) want. There is a market there, but I'm...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 10:41
Blank
Matt
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Creating an online downloadable multiplayer game

I have a concept for an online multiplayer game which would require the user to download a lobby interface to access the online content. I am looking for advice for where to look for people who...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 08:59
Blank
User6730
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
How to minimize risk of software copyright infringement claims

I had a software developer create a software program, which I copyrighted and then assigned to a software company (and LLC) that I co-founded. I plan to sell the program to the general...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 22:15
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.66K Views
Disputes in startup

hi i had a friend of mine, we worked on a idea, now my friend is not interested to work with me and he is looking for someone else.However the idea was conceived by me. Can i shake off hands and go...

asked Dec 27 '10 at 21:41
Blank
Prasonscala
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
What does IP mean in Digital medium

From my understanding of Paul Graham's Article http://paulgraham.com/msftpatent.html, IP doesn't have much affect on digital products/services. For example, youtube, tinyurl, groupon, kickstarter...

asked Jan 1 '11 at 04:23
Blank
Manish Nair
8 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Once my trademark has been registered, how often do I need to pay a fee/check in on it?

I can't seem to get a straight answer when I call the USPTO

asked Dec 1 '10 at 09:59
Blank
Startupgirl
26 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Would I have to patent my computer systems in order to produce them and sell them to markets?

Would I have to patent my computer systems (such as desktops and laptops) in order to produce them and sell them to markets? Similar to Dell and HP would operate.

asked Dec 1 '10 at 14:43
Blank
User5732
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
What is the best and least expensive way to trademark and patent your business IP internationally?

I am working on a start-up company to grow to become a big company to compete against some well known, popular, and in some ways powerful companies in the respective industries and markets today. I...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 15:23
Blank
User5732
6 points