Intellectual Property Questions

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.13K Views
Copyright/IP of sudokus

I have recently learned how to do constraint processing and I figured out how to generate sudoku puzzles. I thought it would be interesting/fun to create an interactive website for these puzzles. I...

asked Apr 8 '11 at 12:39
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
How do you prove a computer-generated work was independently generated by you?

This question is related to one of my earlier posts about the ability to copyright sudokus. I have written a program that generates sudokus and I want to make a website with these sudokus. It seems...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.21K Views
Prospective investor/partner asking for source code, what should I do?

After developing a unique software product for the past 5 years, I am looking to team up with a business developer that can get the right investment for going viral... The prospective business...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 04:08
Blank
John Sel
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.17K Views
Intellectual Property question about version 1.0 of a web app

What is the motivation for small companies to release version 1.0 that has the most important features that define the application? Couldn't a bigger company just replicate these features over the...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 05:15
Blank
Leadgy
222 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.03K Views
How to Copyright a Marketing Idea

I have a few marketing idea that I have done some research on and have not been able to find other people who have done them. Since I am not in any businesses that could use the idea I wanted to...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 06:50
Blank
Dave Long
111 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
4.13K Views
How long would my previous employer have to sue me, claiming intellectual property rights on an iPhone app I wrote?

I was reading this thread - If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? It has some great answers to a question I felt...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 05:48
Blank
User7507
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1K Views
Can I name my website the same as someone else's if it already exists?

If I own DomainName.com but someone else with DomainName.info already has a site named "Domain Name," am I allowed to call my site "Domain Name" as well?

asked Feb 14 '11 at 19:01
Blank
Travis
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
What are the legalities concerning supporting open source software?

For the last couple months, I have been building small HTPCs with a variety of software on them, tailored to what my customers (so far just my friends) want. There is a market there, but I'm...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 10:41
Blank
Matt
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Creating an online downloadable multiplayer game

I have a concept for an online multiplayer game which would require the user to download a lobby interface to access the online content. I am looking for advice for where to look for people who...

asked Jan 21 '11 at 08:59
Blank
User6730
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.05K Views
How to minimize risk of software copyright infringement claims

I had a software developer create a software program, which I copyrighted and then assigned to a software company (and LLC) that I co-founded. I plan to sell the program to the general...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 22:15
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Disputes in startup

hi i had a friend of mine, we worked on a idea, now my friend is not interested to work with me and he is looking for someone else.However the idea was conceived by me. Can i shake off hands and go...

asked Dec 27 '10 at 21:41
Blank
Prasonscala
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
What does IP mean in Digital medium

From my understanding of Paul Graham's Article http://paulgraham.com/msftpatent.html, IP doesn't have much affect on digital products/services. For example, youtube, tinyurl, groupon, kickstarter...

asked Jan 1 '11 at 04:23
Blank
Manish Nair
8 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.11K Views
Once my trademark has been registered, how often do I need to pay a fee/check in on it?

I can't seem to get a straight answer when I call the USPTO

asked Dec 1 '10 at 09:59
Blank
Startupgirl
26 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Would I have to patent my computer systems in order to produce them and sell them to markets?

Would I have to patent my computer systems (such as desktops and laptops) in order to produce them and sell them to markets? Similar to Dell and HP would operate.

asked Dec 1 '10 at 14:43
Blank
User5732
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.35K Views
What is the best and least expensive way to trademark and patent your business IP internationally?

I am working on a start-up company to grow to become a big company to compete against some well known, popular, and in some ways powerful companies in the respective industries and markets today. I...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 15:23
Blank
User5732
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
1.04K Views
Start-up IP dispute in Canadian Corp

I'm currently in an intellectual property dispute over software I developed in a new start-up (Canadian corp). It was written under the false pretense that I would have 25% ownership of the...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:27
Blank
Adrian Schneider
456 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
1.18K Views
New startup advice

I work for a church here in California as a gfx designer. 8 months ago I had an idea for a web service we could use at the church I work at. I spoke to my pastor (boss) about the idea and he said...

asked Nov 13 '10 at 06:13
Blank
User5366
31 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.38K Views
How can I determine if someone owns the intellectual property rights to a word game?

I found a really cool word game that I would like to implement as a mobile app, though I don't if anyone owns the right to the concept. I know there are many games out there, such as Poker or...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 13:07
Blank
Beeeefy
108 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
When looking for a technical co-founder, how to protect IP?

I understand the process of looking for a technical co-founder may involve interviewing several people, some of which won't be a good fit, or won't have the right credentials or life situation,...

asked Oct 3 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Bruno
81 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
Distribution contract review rates and services

I would like to have a distribution contract reviewed by a lawyer specialized in worldwide intellectual property, to ensure that the contract is fair for all parties involved. I asked to one...

asked Aug 9 '10 at 21:46
Blank
Hpique
103 points