Intellectual Property Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
US intellectual property law - restrictions for a licensor

I am going to acquire a non-exclusive license from an American individual for a software. This software will be used as an integral part in my retail software which is under my own copyright. We...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 15:10
Blank
User17044
6 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.76K Views
How should I leave a startup. I own all their source code

I asked a question recently here, discussing options for what to do in my current situation. The other co-founders let me know they no longer think I deserve 20%, and I decided it was the last...

asked Mar 29 '12 at 12:56
Blank
Phil
210 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
IP: Maintain property over source code

I have code of mine, developed before joining the company as a co-founder, that I used for the company product (website) but want to retain the copyright and all IP rights to it and to be able to...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 12:32
Blank
Jj.
29 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Side projects while being a co-founder and officer of a company

There is already an awesome question and answers on IP and spare time related to employees: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Jj.
29 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Licensed software and due diligence: sufficient?

In the process of due diligence for an investment or for M&A, I ask: Considering that all other software is property of the company, is it sufficient to have a non-core part of the software,...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 16:36
Blank
Jj.
29 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
How do I get an IP Lawyer as an Advisor

My pre-seed technology startup has developed unique IP which needs protection. The industry we're targeting is run by giants (with tons of IP), so the IP story will play a key-role on the startup....

asked Mar 13 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Ellery Familia
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.12K Views
How do you approach intellecutal property rights when developping general products for cilents?

We always "reserve the right to re-use any code written for this project" in our contracts with clients. With this in mind, if a later client needs a very similar web app, is it ethical to slightly...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 05:12
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
1.26K Views
Former partner is illegally using my IP

I've noticed a former potential partner of mine is using a logo, website design, and company description/mission that I created and retain full ownership of. Should I just send a simple email...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 19:04
Blank
Ashton M.
83 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Intellectual Property (Source Code) Held in Escrow

I work for a start-up company who has a client requesting that we place the source code for our SaaS (software-as-a-service) application in escrow. They're concerned that, as a start-up, the...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 04:54
Blank
Yuck
257 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.19K Views
Is it illegal to sell a software template created at work but duplicated and augmented at home?

I am an employee at a large company and I created a worksheet using my work computer. The worksheet helps me organize my info such as passwords and time-off records. I replicated it and then...

asked Feb 28 '12 at 11:36
Blank
Es Developer
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
Should I transfer the intellectual property of a product to get investors?

I've been working on a new software that could do a nice work on the current market, and I'm trying to get investors to be able to work full time on this project and deliver before the other...

asked Mar 1 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Cross
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Equity sharing for my particular situation

I have read numerous posts and articles on this topic and it is clear there are several schools of thought that involve many shades of grey. I have come to a conclusion but am seeking affirmation...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 08:36
Blank
Tony Cimaglia
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.45K Views
How long should you keep your idea a secret?

I am a graduating senior in college studying computer science and machine learning. For the past year, I have been working with two other people on what we think is a pretty fantastic idea,...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 06:57
Blank
Jon
137 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Public transit app: possible revenues and IP issues?

I am looking at developing a website sort of like ones that NY-area commuter railroads have, showing train departure times and tracks. One major transit hub near me has no central location for this...

asked Jan 30 '12 at 10:19
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2K Views
how to present ideas to a possible future partner without getting them 'stolen'?

I am planning into getting involved in a venture in an asian country. I have a friend from this country that has an experience in the kind of business I want to be involved in and that has “ built...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 13:37
Blank
Ongoing
13 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to document transfer pricing policy for IP

In Europe, there is enormous tax differences between high tax and low-tax jurisdictions for holding IP (for example 60% for owners of a "3:12" Swedish company vs 5% for a Luxembourg IP...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 09:11
Blank
User239558
228 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Which Country is Suitable for Legal Protection in Game Automation Software Development

After reading today's Gamasutra article about Jagex vs Impulse Software, and considering my own academic activities, I suddenly became very concerned with my legal protection. As such I would...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 07:15
Blank
Kort Pleco
891 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Valuing intangible assets in an LLC sale

Upon sale of an LLC, how would I express the values of intangible assets the LLC has generated (e.g. certain access rights, processes and procedures, IP, and customer relationships)? These are...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 03:46
Blank
C Cummins
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
CA Labor Code Section 2870, does this apply to out of state employees?

If I live in another state, and work (salary + telecommunte) for a company located in CA, (EA with the usual "Works For Hire Agreement" which states "The Company shall be the sole and exclusive...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 15:39
Blank
Anon
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Interpreting Invention Assignment: what does "is not related" to the company's business mean in employment contracts?

I'm talking about those Invention Assignment clauses in employment contracts (especially with regards to California labor code section 2870) "Prohibiting employee assignment to an employer of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 21:34
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points