Intellectual Property Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.6K Views
How can one establish authorship of content?

For a startup creating content for syndication, what is an effective way to establish that the content was indeed created by the startup and not those receiving it? For example, one could print...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 18:44
Blank
Jontyc
121 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Does the company own all my ideas?

A company has the following contract. http://www.uploadimage.in/di/93QO/one.png http://www.uploadimage.in/di/N8UR/two.png Does this mean if one is working on something in their free time while...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 19:36
Blank
Julius
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
Contract employee and IP in a not so related business

If I create an application for a client and I am employed as a contactor to the client by a contracting firm in a different capacity, who owns the copyright?

asked Feb 21 '13 at 02:32
Blank
Victor Clough
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Software Contributions to a LLC Partnership

I have a 33.33% stake in an LLC partnership, which was made with cash contributions. I have since developed software with an associate who is not part of the company that we would like to sell as...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 08:31
Blank
Frank
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.7K Views
How should we compensate a non-founder in a new web-based business who is critical to the launch of the business?

We are in the very early stage of organizing and launching a new web-based business. There are two co-founders - one who is CTO and one who is CEO. In addition, we will be including a third person...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 02:15
Blank
User25024
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Does generic use of a trademarked term (e.g., Klout) constitute infringement?

My understanding is that trademarks afford protection when used as an adjective to represent goods or services, but they do not afford protection for generic usage of a trademarked term and only...

asked Feb 16 '13 at 01:24
Blank
Cesel
128 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.63K Views
What percentage to give UI/UX designer co-founder?

This is a general question for company shares: My partner and I have an equal stake in our company. We want to bring in a designer since both of us suck at UI. We have one in mind. Since we own...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:53
Blank
Joe
1 point

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Is consulting work subject to my day-job's intellectual-property clause?

Disclaimer: I'm not seeking legal advice here, I will naturally seek actual legal advice before I make any decisions. I'd just like to know the lay of the land, if anyone can help. I'm in the...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 11:47
Blank
Bluepnume
121 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Legal issues of a user-pic based app?

I'm planning on creating a mobile app based upon the idea of allowing users to take self-portraits and having it shared in a dynamic public gallery (for say, dating purposes, or whatnot). Let's...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 02:35
Blank
Aldrich
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.68K Views
Is an open source prototype a bad idea?

I'm building a prototype for a web/mobile application. The goal is to collect user generated content, let user rate it while at the same time being entertained and do something interesting with it....

asked Jan 26 '13 at 07:07
Blank
Pvoosten
106 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.74K Views
Acquiring IP from liquidators

Over 3 years ago the development company I was working for went into liquidation owing ~$500K. There wasn't a lot gained from the sale of the assets and as far as I am aware, the liquidators still...

asked Jan 8 '13 at 22:26
Blank
User22450
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
How should I protect myself from intellectual property theft before I pitch this game to Scopely?

(For the impatient, the main question is at the bottom of this text.) I was reading this article and a couple of others about Scopely, a game development company responsible for the creation of...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 10:15
Blank
Baptzmoffire
3 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
If you are a creative studio, who owns employees ideas that they come up with whilst in your employ?

We are a creative studio who depend on new ideas and new IP to survive. Many of our staff (naturally) are quite creative as well, and as such don't want their best ideas taken by the studio - where...

asked Dec 7 '12 at 11:34
Blank
Brook
21 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.93K Views
Terms of agreement with a co-founder after split-up

I recently quit working with my co-founder. We had started a software business together and had agreed on a certain profit share. But shortly after the launch of the apps, we had to split because...

asked Nov 13 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.42K Views
What is the law covering the intellectual property rights of software developed during internship/employment without signed contract/agreement?

I am a software engineer who "invented", and developed alone an integrated ERP software solution over the past 2 years. I got the idea and coded much of the software as intern at small wholesale...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 06:31
Blank
P T
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
6.9K Views
Is internship considered as "work-for-hire" in the US? Who owns the software intellectual property rights created by an intern with no contract?

I was an intern in a small furniture company for over year where I had an idea to develop an integrated software solution that would help any company of the same type get organized. A verbal...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 03:45
Blank
P T
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
On working with consultants

I have been asked by many startups to help them with their core machine learning IP Unlike outsourced software development, machine learning is difficult to outsource or even to specify because it...

asked Oct 12 '12 at 01:04
Blank
Charles Martin
26 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
How Much should I except to spend registering Intellectual Property patent?

I know it might vary depending of kind of product. I'm planning to register a very unique Intellectual Property internet service patent Let's suppose the world doesn't have search engine yet, and...

asked Oct 13 '12 at 00:36
Blank
Edwin Soho
30 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.07K Views
Employer permission agreement to do contract programming work in spare time

I'm in discussions with a programmer to do contract work for my startup. He works full time programming at a Massachusetts company whose business is unrelated to mine and my project would be done...

asked Oct 14 '12 at 22:36
Blank
Kevin
11 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Should I get investors to sign an NDA before sharing my idea?

I have an idea for a company and I want to share it with potential investors. I'm a bit concerned about my ability to protect the idea. Should I get them to sign an NDA? Would that scare investors...

asked Oct 18 '12 at 05:56
Blank
Sarah Simpson
23 points