Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.03K Views
Can I ask my contractor employees to submit W9s signed electronically?

I started a venture last year, and now for the first time I'm having to deal with taxes related to the startup. As my tax accountant informed me, I need to send those who made over $600 W9 forms...

Tax
asked Jan 28 '11 at 06:08
Blank
Artem Russakovskii
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.18K Views
For a Corporation (S-Corp) that I run out of my home, which expenses can the Corporation pay for?

I've formed an S-Corp in California for a small local business. Like many small business owners I'll be operating the business out of my home. What expenses can the corporation pay for without...

asked Feb 1 '11 at 08:08
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Reporting Founder Changes to the IRS

Last year, I incorporated with two other people who, at the time, were all about the project on which we were working. The project eventually fell flat due to loss of interest on their parts....

asked Feb 4 '11 at 12:23
Blank
Shaun
261 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
5.37K Views
Should we convert our LLC to a C-Corp?

We've reached a point where we need either hard capital or strategic hire capital and as an LLC it seems like it is much harder to grant capital (either immediately or in a vesting process). Also,...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 01:43
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
5.55K Views
Taxes for Android / iPhone developers?

I'm an Android developer, but this question is pretty much the same for an iPhone dev. I'm based in the USA, and I'm looking for any tips regarding taxes for app sales. Since apps sell in over...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Hunterp
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
Property in state A. Can I make an LLC in state B own it with minimal hassle? (not doing any business, just holding the property)

I have property in state A I want a new LLC in State B to hold. The LLC wouldn't be doing any business or have income. If I want to get maintenance on the property (not lawsuits) would the...

asked Jan 9 '11 at 02:48
Blank
Dave
46 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
How do companies like Microsoft, Google & Apple hoard cash?

I hear from a lot of small businesses that if they don't get rid of there cash by the end of the year then they get taxed. Also if they bank that money they still get taxed again every year,...

asked Dec 18 '10 at 02:35
Blank
Donny V
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Taxing Unpaid Member of LLC Pro Rata Share of Profits

I recently started an LLC with a business partner and quickly realized it was a mistake and we are in the process of having his name removed from the company. As no work was performed by this...

Tax
asked Dec 28 '10 at 15:34
Blank
Senfo
152 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
5.35K Views
What country of the world has lowest taxes?

What parts of the world have developed infrastructure, cheap fast internet, transportation, and cheap energy; and the lowest taxes as well?

Tax
asked Dec 9 '10 at 00:00
Blank
Psihodelia
137 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
6.69K Views
Startup - End of Year Bank Account Balance

I recently started an LLC in Maryland and a CFO for a company I used to work for suggested I not carry a balance in my company bank accounts at the end of the year. Is this something I should...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 06:28
Blank
Senfo
152 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
6.22K Views
What is the most tax-efficient structure for an LLC where the principals aren't drawing salary?

My partner and I have day jobs so we don't need to (or want to) draw salary from our startup. Our startup is already profitable but in our ideal world, the bank account associated with this startup...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 16:15
Blank
Avery Chan
123 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
tax implications of running SAAS

If I am running a SAAS businss and my users are paying me e.g. 10$ per month is there a sales tax liability on it? Who pays that tax and what are the different things to consider. Does it matter...

asked Dec 12 '10 at 11:19
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Is there a minimum amount of money to become taxable?

Is there such thing as not making enough money to get taxed in NY state? What is that amount?

asked Nov 21 '10 at 09:38
Blank
Moshe
409 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.94K Views
Where should I set up my global internet business?

Is there a widely recognised 'best place of business' for global social-media style internet businesses, and what are the considerations? Considerations I'm thinking about are taxation, regulation,...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 19:48
Blank
Trish
186 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Is the Secretary of State the general office, state to state, for registering a company?

All varying acronyms of incorporation aside, what exceptions (i.e. particular states) are there to the assumption that from state to state, if I need to register my company (for whatever particular...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 02:03
Blank
Mfg
246 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Specific startup tax question and other starting advice

I'm in the process of creating a startup. Right now it's just a series of apps in the iTunes app store but there's a ton more I want to do with it. The apps were made available for sale almost 3...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 10:09
Blank
Jan
143 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
US LLC formation for non-US resident

I plan to form an LLC in Delaware. I'm a citizen of an EU country and a resident of another EU country. Now... I manage a website that targets one of these countries and I need to be able to charge...

asked Nov 8 '10 at 19:47
Blank
User5276
21 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Is there a way around a partner paying additional income tax in an acquisition?

I'm interested in bringing on a partner (for his development abilities) for a site I'm working on. I already have an LLC and would prefer to keep this site under that LLC. Then, I'd offer in a...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 02:41
Blank
Shpigford
146 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Is there any way to predict how competent authorities will decide tax treaty issues beforehand?

I have been studying the UK/US double tax treaty and it's explanation in anticipation of the creation of a US subsidiary wholly owned by a small internet-based company in the UK. It seems as though...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 04:58
Blank
Brian
28 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.21K Views
Claiming Laptop as LLC expense

I don't have a separate bank account for my LLC (I am sole owner). I am planning to buy a new laptop. How do I claim it as an LLC expense, come tax time? Related questions: What are pros/cons of...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 04:45
Blank
User5027
21 points