Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Extract tax efficient earnings for owner

So, I know this is a question probably for my accountant, but I want to do a little research myself. What is the most tax efficient way to extract earnings as an owner..? I have a small startup...

asked May 11 '11 at 19:17
Blank
Dave Sumter
136 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
Not paying 50% on £1,000,000

Hypothetically speaking, if someone earns £1,000,000 "profit" in 1 year who is British via his own company, is it possible to NOT pay 50% tax on that legally? Is it possible to reduce that 50% to a...

Tax
asked May 12 '11 at 23:54
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
LLC with contractors

I am not a US citizen and I want to create a company and work with many contractors outside US. It will be software development company. Company will be delaware based LLC, and office will be...

asked May 14 '11 at 05:24
Blank
Vitaliy
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.56K Views
Gross profit royalties vs non-voting equity

I began work with a small startup last year, working as a consultant. Consulting didn't last long because I saw great potential in the company and made it clear I wanted to be a part of it. I...

asked May 15 '11 at 13:38
Blank
Schneider
116 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.12K Views
[UK Contracting] how much to put aside after being paid?

I'm a new UK contractor, and I've just had my first payment and was wondering how much I should put aside and how I go about actually transferring the cash from my business account to my...

asked May 7 '11 at 18:47
Blank
Martyn
128 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
How much can you give employees in benefits (without tax effects)?

I work at a startup in California, USA. I know that whenever I go out to lunch with my CEO, he says he is only allowed to expense the meal if it was "business related," like meeting clients or...

asked May 10 '11 at 06:04
Blank
Brad
117 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
S Corporation taxes if I have a job?

I am about to create an S Corporation for liability and tax purposes, and I wanted to get a general feel for a tax question before asking an attorney or CPA about it. I have a day job, for which I...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 02:32
Blank
Poundifdef
114 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
Filing Estimated Taxes?

When I started my single person LLC earlier this year, I didn't expect to make a profit in my first year. As I understood it, I didn't need to file quarterly estimated taxes because I wasn't going...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 00:56
Blank
Skaz
254 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
minimizing taxation - selling licence to my software online

My scenario is as follows: I'm currently based in the European Union (Poland). For the last 2 years I have developed a software product, for which target customers are firms. I don't have a...

Tax
asked Apr 26 '11 at 03:58
Blank
User9982
206 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Deciding on a tax structure

I wish to start a small business and while at first the goal will be to strengthen a community it would be nice to possible make money in the end. A group of us has gotten together to work on this...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 16:36
Blank
Ak Geek
11 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.18K Views
Is there any tax advantage or incentive to leave money in an LLC at the end of the tax year?

We're forming a 2 person LLC and part of what we're trying to figure out is how much to leave in the LLC to build up some capital reserves. Since an LLC is a pass through tax entity if the LLC...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 10:57
Blank
Todd H
196 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.72K Views
What will a product acquisition be taxed as?

I'm an independent developer who has been working for the past year or so on product X. I don't have a company created that is associated with the product, as we have yet to officially launch (no...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 10:49
Blank
Themeerkat
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Tax law change on capital loss from s-corp

I have a small 1 person S-Corporation. The first few years I paid an accountant to do my taxes. I do not have revenues to my company, so I am using turbo tax to do this myself. Last year I took a...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 22:48
Blank
Bob
164 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
Did you incorporate in Delaware and get surprised by the minimum annual franchise tax this year?

Looks like the DE Franchise Tax Board & SecState changed the minimum authorized shares tax - a lot of companies that incorporated this past year may have been unaware of this change or not sure...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 08:44
Blank
Henry The Hengineer
4,316 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Switching from a Canadian corporation to a Canadian sole-proprietorship

I currently run a Canadian Corporation, but I'm finding taxes (both accounting fees and bookkeeping) a real pain and expense. I would like to keep the corporation and basically find out how to...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Geek Gal
16 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
6.15K Views
Formed Single Member LLC. What are pros and cons of filing form 8832 to be taxed as a Corporation?

I recently formed an LLC for my software side business. The income generated is between 5-10k a year. I have also filed and receivied a Federal EIN. I think I intend to take money out or "pay...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 23:36
Blank
Robby Pond
133 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.82K Views
LLC or S-corp for a 2 person California consulting company

My business partner and I currently work as independent contractors in California writing software and have decided to turn it into a real company. Ownership will be 50/50. All revenue will come...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Todd H
196 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
Using Dubai as a tax haven

I am British and want to startup my company in Dubai. What kind of issues will I run into if I want to use the money in UK, USA or anywhere else in the world?

asked Apr 4 '11 at 23:26
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.59K Views
Questions about creating a web startup in a tax haven

I am a US citizen and resident and am opening a business selling online services to US customers. The first thing that came to mind when thinking about business / legal concerns is, Why not open it...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 23:42
Blank
Orokusaki
118 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.14K Views
Why incorporate in the US? What about Bermuda and other tax-advantageous countries?

Basically, why should one incorporate in the US? I'm interested in three cases: 1 - Most of the revenue and employees are in the US. 2 - Most of the employees are in the US, but the revenues...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 02:41
Blank
J Delage
277 points