Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

1 Votes
3 Answers
8.75K Views
As a founder/shareholder/officer in a startup, do I pay myself as an employee(W2) or contractor(1099-MISC)?

I've looked around, but can't seem to find a straightforward answer for this. I am one of 4 founders in a start-up incorporated as a C-corp. 2 of us work full-time on the start-up, and so far have...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 14:18
Blank
Sid
106 points

12 Votes
5 Answers
4.37K Views
Sole Proprietorship vs LLC

From what I read there are two basic types of business recommended for a single person business (in the US): Sole Proprietorship LLC My wife is looking to start a business for blogging/selling...

asked Sep 9 '11 at 23:20
Blank
Joel B
163 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
When do we need to become an official company?

So I'm starting a new venture with a friend of mine. Basically, we are not going to be looking for seed funding, or really any funding for that matter. We are going to be up fronting the costs to...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 23:09
Blank
Slandau
203 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.67K Views
Going with a CPA or Enrollment Agent

My business partner and I are currently looking for an accountant for our growing business. At the moment we have met with two different accountants. One was a CPA and one was an Enrollment Agent....

asked Sep 2 '11 at 00:25
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.74K Views
Legal Requirment for Starting a Business in Austin, TX?

I am starting a business from my home, and will operate it as a sole proprietor. What do I need before I can begin? The business itself is a computer consulting firm meant to help small-medium...

asked Sep 3 '11 at 11:19
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.73K Views
New Photography Business

I am looking into starting a new business for photography and wanted to see if theres a clearly defined list if things I can write off for it. I'm assuming I won't make any money for a while either...

asked Sep 4 '11 at 04:09
Blank
Benny
121 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
10.4K Views
Avoiding complicated EU VAT rules for SaaS company

I am in the UK and am in the process of setting up a SaaS product which people will be able to purchase online by monthly subscription. I have been researching the VAT rules for supply of...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 08:00
Blank
Chris Roberts
1,352 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Foreigner opening online store in the USA

I'm from Europe, don't plan to move to the USA I will open an ONLINE store ONLY (no physical stores) Goods will be imported from Europe Shipping will be handled by the fulfillment company I am...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 09:04
Blank
Superbiz
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.64K Views
I don't understand tax obligations on options

Here's the situation: two founders each own 50% of the company angels / VCs / FFFs are about to invest the company will set up a 10% options pool for new hires When a new hire starts, how do...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 02:41
Blank
W. Matthew Wilson
104 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.04K Views
Accounting for Depreciation in QuickBooks

Can someone point me to some examples of how to handle depreciation in QuickBooks (2009)? To give an example, I buy a computer for $2000 in 2009. I choose "Equipment" as category. I duly report my...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 06:27
Blank
Dave
160 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Tax information from a Independent Contractor in the UK

I run a mobile gaming company with my brother located in California, we just contracted a couple independent contractors(ICs) from the UK to do some art for our games. Usually, when we contract...

Tax
asked Aug 3 '11 at 08:51
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Does a foreign corporation have to pay any US taxes if it has a web server in the US?

Recently we are starting our business and need to create our website. Finally we decide to purchase virtual private surver provided by Bluehost, because it's way better than ones provided by asian...

Tax
asked Jul 25 '11 at 23:39
Blank
?? ?
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Started S Corp in 2010 but did not make any money til now

I started an S corp April 2010 but the project was put on hold. We didn't file the 1120S or 2253 that were due 3/15/2011. This month we are starting to work on a project which will start to bring...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Asmy
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Withholding Requirements

I started an LLC in NY with LegalZoom back in January and have not been paying much attention to the "Withholding Requirements". I don't have employees and I'm not getting paid, do I need to file...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 04:34
Blank
Johnsmith11
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Getting Amazon Affiliate fees in California

Amazon recently announced that it will cease paying affiliate reward to its California associates. As a startup very reliant on affiliate fees, is there any way to get around this? Background: We...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 08:12
Blank
Babonk
143 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Contractor to small business

I've been working as a contractor for a company for a few months now but I haven't signed a contract or a 1099 form, I just receive payment on services due when an invoice is submitted. If I start...

asked Jul 14 '11 at 03:35
Blank
Lisa
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
How do I register to pay taxes?

I've started an LLC in quarter 2, did some work and got paid. It was a great amount of fun! Now the terrible part. I need to pay taxes. I'm okay with that. I knew the day would come. But the...

asked Jul 19 '11 at 13:22
Blank
Wjl
115 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Can I register an umbrella business to "hold" two other businesses?

I have 2 "businesses" which I would like to register under 1 umbrella business for the sake of taxes. First I have a web/apps business (1 website, 2 additonal apps, soon to be 3) that isn't...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 00:29
Blank
Matthew
101 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
1099 required for payment?

I run a small website. I sold $100 of ad space to a local business. They asked me to send them a 1099 so they can set me up in their accounting department. I'm not sure how this works or why I need...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 05:06
Blank
Website Needs 1099
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
legal requirements to open a service on the web, that requires payment

i'm a newbie in the business world, and i'd like to submit a couple of questions to you. First, i live in Italy. Suppose i want to fire up a website, and part of its services are under payment....

asked Jul 3 '11 at 08:25
Blank
Michele
11 points