Tax Questions

Entrepreneurs can set up their business as a Sole Proprietorship, C-corporation, S-corporation, partnership, non-profit, Limited Liability Company, or Limited Liability Partnership.

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.14K Views
Freelancing: Traveling & Taxes

I'm a German citizen, but have been living in various EU and non-EU countries. I usually do remote freelance work. Since I don't live in Germany, I don't see the point why I should pay the high...

asked Jul 4 '11 at 19:21
Blank
Znq
164 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.67K Views
sales tax on photography

I am a photographer and new to the whole sale tax forms. If I have a sale for $500 to photograph an event, but $100 dollars of that was used to buy prints --- do I list that $100.00 as a deduction...

Tax
asked Jul 5 '11 at 04:41
Blank
Beverly
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.65K Views
Are mobile phones and service contracts a business write-off?

I purchased a smartphone to help me conduct my business (mobile hotspot, email, access company intranet, etc.). Previously, I did not own a cellphone, personal or business. Additionally, I signed a...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 17:14
Blank
Clint
695 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.6K Views
Tax Question on Commission website

If an online business is simply the middle man(ebay) do they have to report their sales as the total sale price of the items sold or just their commission? For example, Ebay charges buyer total...

Tax
asked Jul 12 '11 at 00:19
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
Interviewing / hiring accountants for a startup

What are some good questions to ask when hiring an accountant for an early stage startup? The goal is to prepare the company for VC/Angel funding. As a first time entrepreneur I have no idea how...

asked Jul 12 '11 at 04:49
Blank
Jirad
105 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.56K Views
International tax on digital products for a US company

I'm a developer in the US (Maryland) with an LLC and an application that I would like to sell through my website, delivered via download. I do not intend to ship physical goods of any sort, my...

asked Jun 24 '11 at 21:20
Blank
Blueberry
18 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Collecting Use taxes

An article on businessweek got my attention today. From the headline: A Texas software vendor we have purchased from for years got audited by the California State Board of Equalization because...

asked Jun 28 '11 at 04:17
Blank
B Mitch
1,342 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.61K Views
Investment money and Tax

Myself and a friend would like to start a new company. I will be doing development work and my friend will invest money. Our company isn't yet registered, but my friend would like to transfer a...

Tax
asked Jun 28 '11 at 17:25
Blank
Florin
8 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
Startup Taxes and Accounting: Finding services, Best practices, & How not to go to jail

There are many money issues that neither add to my code base nor user base. For example: payroll taxes and excise taxes W2 W3 W4 I9 941 940 1120 + all the equivalent state forms all of those...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 14:32
Blank
Evan
133 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Most tax beneficial way to incorporate as a contractor

I am currently contracting as a software engineer on a W2, and I am thinking of incorporating. Which is the most tax beneficial way, an LLC, sole proprietorship, S-Corp? Keep in mind that at this...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 07:53
Blank
Christopher Perry
116 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Is there a tax liability for reverse vesting founder stock/units?

A friend and I formed an Oregon LLC in 2008 for an online business. Now we're up and running and both working on it full-time. Now we've both moved to Texas and want to re-form as a Texas company...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 03:39
Blank
Sean
134 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Income Tax + Business

I'm looking into starting a formal business, and need a little help. I currently go to a public university and have a scholarship that is based on the fact that I, personally, don't claim more than...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 16:57
Blank
Zakman411
174 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Contractor for a small startup, big project coming up: should I form a company around myself?

I've been doing some development work here and there for a friend of mine who is trying to start up a web-based branding/marketing company in Canada (I am also in Canada). To my knowledge he isn't...

asked Jun 12 '11 at 14:37
Blank
Carson Myers
123 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
UK one-man software house Ltd - should director have employment contract?

Scenario: A one-man, self-funding software developer with a software-licensing business model. Startup is self funding with no revenue anticipated for at least 1.5 years. My query relates mainly...

asked May 26 '11 at 08:29
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
UK limited company exit mechanism

Can anyone tell me the mechanism by which a UK technology business is acquired? Does the acquirer usually buy: all the outstanding shares in the limited company, or, all the assets and...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 01:12
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
6.63K Views
Rental Property LLC tax deduction advice

If I form an LLC and my new company buys a duplex rental unit, my understanding is the 'company' taxes will be a pass-through to my personal 1040 income tax forms, with the appropriate forms. I...

asked May 25 '11 at 06:53
Blank
Edward
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
How much should you put aside for taxes?

I have an LLC located in the US. As I've never done this before, I'm wondering what is a good rule of thumb concerning a percentage of revenue to put aside for taxes? Our LLC is based in Texas, we...

Tax
asked May 25 '11 at 23:32
Blank
James
139 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
4.89K Views
Company formation for a non-resident – Delaware LLC and London LTD

Got a few questions about forming a single member LLC in Delaware or LTD in London. I’m looking into forming a company abroad for an easier way to do business and billing (+ its cheaper) and am...

asked May 26 '11 at 08:10
Blank
Teekay
394 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Bootstrapping UK startup tax, VAT and Tax Credits?

I am on the verge of quitting my day job to work full time on a startup, solo initially. It seems that I could become eligible for a swathe of UK tax credits. These are pretty lucrative but they...

asked May 10 '11 at 19:53
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
UK taxation of startup gain due to IP

I learnt today that if an author assigns copyright of his book to a publisher for a fee, the net revenue is taxed as income, not as capital gains. On the other hand, one would normally think...

asked May 11 '11 at 02:15
Blank
Paperjam
394 points