Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

5 Votes
3 Answers
5.91K Views
Asking for equity vs stock options as employee

As an employee at an early stage start up company , what are the benefit of stock option vs equity? It seems to me like equity is far preferable , but is there any advantage to stock option over...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 23:26
Blank
Abba Abba
28 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
Fair equity in this scenario?

I'm looking for opinions on what you would expect the equity distribution to be in this scenario: Person #1: Came up with the idea, left his job 1 year ago & went unpaid for 6 months, filed...

asked Sep 13 '11 at 21:26
Blank
Boston123
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
How to decide the stake in a startup? what would be the crtieria for deciding the stake?

I have a scenario: The following entities come together for a software product startup. A. 2 software architects: The product/software architects put in lot of effort, do the product feature...

asked Sep 13 '11 at 23:26
Blank
Chetana
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.07K Views
What should I know about equity as compensation?

I am considering doing some work for a start up for equity only. I know next to nothing about this kind of thing and I'm wondering what specific things should I ask before entering into any kind of...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 06:53
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Fair equity distribution for a Product startup

I'm getting pegged to become a part of a new Product (physical object) startup. I would be the brand director for the company, responsible for all things non-product design related. This would...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 06:44
Blank
Benny
1 point

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.68K Views
How much equity should I ask for if I am a sole investor in a start-up?

I have been asked to be the sole investor in a friends start-up company. The initial investment is $25,000. In exchange, I would like significant equity in the company. How much equity would be...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 09:21
Blank
David
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.49K Views
Startup Equity Disagreement

I was recently a member of a small startup. I made the mistake of waiting too long before discussing equity/payment. Once we did discuss everything there were many disagreements and I eventually...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 04:48
Blank
George Muresan
8 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.38K Views
How do you respond to an unfriendly VC?

I contacted a VC after being introduced by a mutual friend. A couple of days ago I received an email with an arrogant & a little too proud attitude. My options: Ignore him (I'm not dependent...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 06:29
Blank
Fgfggfsfgssfdsfsdf
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
How can early startup employees ensure that founders do not intentionally dilute them?

I am considering joining a startup as employee #2. I expect to receive some equity (either stock or options). Is there any way in which I can protect myself against the founders simply issuing...

asked Sep 3 '11 at 03:57
Blank
Abtin Forouzandeh
121 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.54K Views
Deciding equity and profit sharing when co founder takes salary and works full time

Having read so much on how equity has to be split, i am still confused and am unable to come to any conclusion. I Would highly appreciate if you could fill in the gap as its making life difficult....

asked Sep 3 '11 at 20:24
Blank
User13119
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.43K Views
How to (not) move ahead with my cofounder

I need some advice on how to handle the current situation with my co-founder. I am not happy working with him, we haven't signed any contracts or agreements, and he has put in a lot of hours over...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 00:18
Blank
Yes
128 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Venture Capital Equity

How much equity should VC get for $400K in startup funds? And what's the best way to figure this out if I adjust my capital requirements?

asked Aug 19 '11 at 06:09
Blank
John
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
How do we share equity with partner who will be gone for a year?

My question is regarded to a startup's equity sharing. Basically, the Startup will be very demanding in terms of operation and we are 4 partners, but 1 partner will be out of the country studying...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 05:39
Blank
Tiago Neves
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.67K Views
Equity Distribution in a startup company

I have a few questions regarding equity distribution that I would like to get cleared out, since I am the core developer and CTO of this project and have very little idea on businesses etc. My...

asked Aug 12 '11 at 00:26
Blank
Hackfanatic
43 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.88K Views
How much equity to share with a seed investor, who wants to offer the money as a loan to the company?

I found an investor, who is ready to invest seed capital ( about $ 100,000 )into the company. But she wants to invest it, in the form of a Loan ( payable back with an interest rate slightly better...

asked Aug 12 '11 at 05:19
Blank
Kumar
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.72K Views
advice for clothing line startup

50,000 usd as an investor. They will have no roles in the company as far as management anything else. I will be doing all the leg work. I have the copyrights and trademark for the logo and name of...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 00:14
Blank
Bronson
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Funding Cash, Who should contribute to the company's assets?

So let's say we have company ACME. ACME has 2 people: John - Founder ( %70 Equity ) Dan - Sales ( %30 Equity ) An investor came up and invested $100k and demands %20 of shares. Question...

asked Aug 14 '11 at 01:27
Blank
Ryan
139 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Fair to ask for anti-dilution when I have a lot less equity than my partners?

I'm leaving an extremely well paying job, one that I'm even fairly happy with, for a startup that I think will do really well. It's been a difficult choice because I have a family and a mortgage....

asked Aug 15 '11 at 06:41
Blank
Imaginative
205 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
If a successful startup's CEO makes what I believe is a low offer for employment as CTO, how can I make an effective counteroffer?

Over the past ten months, I've been working with a startup in a technical capacity as a contractor. Prior to my joining, they had a rocky start and spun their wheels for a while with an outsourcing...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 15:38
Blank
Exr
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
As head of an internal software development project being spun off, what level of equity should I negotiate for?

I am in negotiations to spin off a new company that will develop and sell our in-house software project as a SaaS product. As a founding member (the Development Manager) of the new company, I have...

asked Aug 2 '11 at 00:46
Blank
Ash
106 points