Naming Questions

3 Votes
7 Answers
12.9K Views
Should I bother registering .NET/.ORG/.BIZ/.INFO domains along with .COM?

I own a small software company, which has it's website on a .COM-domain ( jitbit.com ) Should I register .ORG/.NET/.BIZ/.INFO as well? "jitbit.net/jitbit.biz/jitbit.info/jitbit.org" or it's just a...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 01:55
Blank
Jitbit
267 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Incorporated or Corporation in company name

My undersntanding is that there is no legal difference between naming my S Corporation MyCompanyName Incorporated vs MyCompanyName Corporation. However, are there any preferences on which one to...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 18:40
Blank
Tauren
240 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Business Operating under 2 names for CC purposes

I currently have a LLC that I am operating under. I am wanting to start a web service that will be accepting credit card payments. The web service will go under a name that is very different then...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 12:30
Blank
Kellenjb
116 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.94K Views
I need to change the name of my blog... can you help with suggestions?

I created the blog Austin Tech Geeks in August of last year. It's been somewhat successful as I have been able to get a decent number of subscribers and uniques every month. The blog is about tech...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 04:26
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Has anyone used any of the sites that find a name for you and had success?

From what I have read on here it seems that there are mixed reviews on whether or not to use keywords in your name, such as software or games, since a Google search on your name with a popular...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 16:46
Blank
Captain Phil
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.59K Views
How would people receive a startup called ltrPath considering that there's one called Path?

How would you receive and what kind of association would come up in your mind about these two names? Is there any possiblity of a trademark violation? Like the book word in the facebook...

asked Dec 12 '10 at 17:58
Blank
Keyne On
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.91K Views
How important do you think the domain of a web/mobile game is?

Say you have a game (we'll call it Widgetville) that is web based and will also be extended to mobile devices. But "widgetville.com" is taken. So your main domain would be something like...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 14:51
Blank
Shpigford
146 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Regarding trade names / "doing business as"

I am looking to form a corporation in the state of New Hampshire, USA. I understand that a company may register a trade name with the state. As I understand it, all companies require a legal...

asked Nov 20 '10 at 16:26
Blank
Jake Petroules
113 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.49K Views
Which is a better suffix for enterprise-product company domain?

As per @Zuly Gonzalez' answer to this question on "Non .com domain v hyphen domain ", when choosing a domain name sometimes it is necessary to add a common suffix to the name. Eg. mydomainAPP.com....

asked Nov 23 '10 at 11:35
Blank
Avi D
140 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.87K Views
How bad is it to have an unfortunate acronym?

We've all heard the sad story of ExpertsExchange.com, where an unintended misreading turned out to be quite unfortunate for them. What about if the company/product/domain name is fine, but if...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 16:27
Blank
Avi D
140 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.83K Views
Difference between Limited and Inc?

I want to register a company i.e. MyCompany Limited but unfortunately this name is unavailable I am playing with different names and found MyCompany Inc is available. What would be the difference...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 03:51
Blank
Jason
106 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.46K Views
How does one create a company name that is internationally accepted?

I'm working on an international startup, website based, for which I need to create a name (with corresponding domains for all extensions) that is internationally accepted as my service is meant to...

asked Oct 31 '10 at 20:56
Blank
Tom
116 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.93K Views
Domain name for application? domainnameapp.com or getdomainname.com

I have a website Smart Company Software. I have two desktop software applications in development and I want to have a website for each one. The Smart Company Software website will be for all of my...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 02:08
Blank
Smart Company Software
22 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
hyphen in URL : sporttribe.com or sport-tribe.com?

I own both domain name sport-tribe.com and sporttribe.com Today we are using sport-tribe.com because we didn't own sporttribe.com at the time we started the site. I'm wondering if we should...

asked Oct 11 '10 at 21:39
Blank
Fabrice
23 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Trademarks on company name - would "BodyLife" and "BodyForLife" collide?

I'm trying to understand how similarities in trademarks are dealt with. To take an example (that I used in a previous unrelated question), assuming a trademark existed for "BodyLife", a company...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 20:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
Using the name wiki in my domain name ? Legal ? Copyright problems?

I would like to use the word wiki in my domain name, such as fastbikiwiki.com Is this legal or because of wikipedia, it would be a copyright issue using wiki in my domain name ?

asked Sep 30 '10 at 00:06
Blank
Mrjohn
113 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
5.35K Views
Domain name starting with "get"

What do you think of domains that have the word "get" before the actual product name, just like getclicky.com or the domains used by 37 Signals products (basecamphq.com, campfirenow.com)? Does it...

asked Sep 7 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Pedro Carvalho
11 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
3.7K Views
Is a great name usable if someone has the domain name parked?

I am writing a mobile application and I have a great name for it. The problem is, someone has parked the .com domain name for it and won't take less than $5,000. They have owned the domain name for...

asked Sep 21 '10 at 08:02
Blank
Cowgod
136 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.57K Views
Should I Market My Company or My Software?

Im working on a startup software company and hoping to launch our first software in 3-4 months. I should have answered these questions months ago and begun marketing then but I've left it until...

asked Jul 6 '10 at 00:41
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
Domain names price trends?

What should I expect to pay for a domain name that is held by an owner (in Panama, for what it's worth), but is not used or well monetized? It's a single dictionary word that was used as a movie...

asked May 20 '10 at 22:15
Blank
J Delage
277 points