Seed Funding Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
Will a VC give me seed money even if my idea is not unique but viable?

I want to start a small local business. There is nothing unique or innovative about it, but there is enough demand in the market. I have no college education. Will VC still consider me?

asked Nov 13 '10 at 01:15
Blank
User5359
48 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
4.57K Views
Typically, what percentage of the company is sold during each round of funding

Typically, what percentage of the company is sold during each round of funding: angel investment or seed round, and A, B, and C venture capital rounds. The goal, I suppose, is the hold enough back...

asked Nov 17 '10 at 16:09
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
What percentage to give advisors / VC matchmakers?

I've been approached by two startup heavyweights who offered to recommend me to VCs and angels for my startup (I'm the sole owner). They've asked me what percentage of equity I would offer them in...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Thoughts invited on unconventional ways of raising money

As I learn, fundraising is always a nightmare. It drains a considerable amount of energy. No matter how promising the pitch you make, it's not sure to entice an Angel or a VC. Even if they agree,...

asked Oct 21 '10 at 17:43
Blank
Sandeep Satavlekar
325 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.4K Views
Starting New School Revenue Streams

Hey guys, it's me again. As was to be expected, I've run into funding problems with Idea School. The quality teachers I'm looking for are worth about $50-60K per year. Now, of course, they...

asked Aug 23 '10 at 04:26
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.51K Views
How to bootstrap when you have a high social overhead?

I love the idea of bootstrapping, but when I hear the bootstrapping evangelists talk about what it takes, they basically portray a lifestyle that only makes sense for a single person in their early...

asked Sep 11 '10 at 16:23
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

10 Votes
7 Answers
3.4K Views
I've got a great algorithm, now what?

I have an algorithm for doing OCR (Optical Character Recognition) in a way that no one has ever done before. I've built rudimentary prototype software and I've tested my algorithm against the...

asked Apr 12 '10 at 08:08
Blank
Amichai
241 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Raising money from friends and colleagues - terms and %

I wish to seed my new business with about $120k, of which I need to raise about $90k. I prefer not to go professional seed investors as: (a) it could take some time (which I don't have); (b) it...

asked Mar 16 '10 at 08:12
Blank
Stealth
76 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Startup support/mentoring in Vancouver

CapitalFactory, Y-Combinator and TechStars are doing great job of helping startups to start up. Does anybody know of a similar initiative in Vancouver, BC, Canada? I am sure people from other...

asked Feb 27 '10 at 06:37
Blank
Alex
32 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
4.11K Views
Is there an index of startup incubators around the world?

Is there a list of places like the YCombinator, CapitalFactory etc arranged by their geographic operating regions?

asked Feb 27 '10 at 07:01
Blank
Scott
63 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.97K Views
Have any good tips for a TechStars application?

There are a variety of tips for YCombinator, but we haven't been able to find anything related to TechStars. Anyone out there have experience with them?

asked Jan 4 '10 at 05:42
Blank
Greg Belote
798 points