Seed Funding Questions

9 Votes
5 Answers
2.56K Views
Looking for investment while still working full-time

I had it in my head (since I need my salary to pay my bills) that I would continue working full-time until either a) the business earned enough that I could quite or more likely b) we secured seed...

asked May 14 '11 at 00:10
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
4.63K Views
How to get seed funding for non-profit?

I have a concept for a non-profit organization which would solve huge problems (think "climate change" for example) with money raised by aggregating very small payments from businesses for...

asked May 3 '11 at 07:02
Blank
Beedlebum
46 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
Pre / Post Money - What Are They? And Should Pre be 2x More than Post in Series A?

I am not (yet) active on a startup of my own but I have been trying to read and educate myself in that arena so that I can at least coherently talk and ask the right questions of the people who...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 06:04
Blank
Whaley
113 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
When do you start searching for VC's?

I was reading this article on traction and it had an interesting comment in it: If you wait until you're "ready" to fund you're too late. Funding is about developing a relationship over time....

asked Apr 23 '11 at 05:52
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.44K Views
25% for angel investor for 20k$

These days I am in process of raising 20k$ for my project (a facebook application), that requires at least 30k$ (10k of which I am able to come up with myself). When negotiating with an angel...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 17:27
Blank
User9950
31 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
What are some good venues to look for sales & bizdev partner for R&D team located in a remote place?

We're a small team in Ukraine with technical chops hungry for success. Finding a lucrative market niche and attracting real paying customers is a challenge, especially given our remote...

asked Mar 15 '11 at 18:24
Blank
Maxua
155 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
16.2K Views
Tax question: writing off initial startup seed money

So, tax season is upon us and I'm finding myself doing taxes (yay) My question is simple (I think): In 2010, I started my company, bootstrapped. I've initially paid a bunch of expenses from...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 14:17
Blank
Igorek
886 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Who uses "Self-Directed" Retirement Accounts to fund start-ups?

In the United States a retirement account like a 401K or an IRA can be incorporated as a "self-directed" account. A self-direct account provides you check-book control over your retirement account....

asked Mar 22 '11 at 13:30
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
How do I close my *second* round of investing when the first round VCs pass?

I already got my first round, piece of cake. We had a million dollars sitting in the bank. But now we've burned through it, and we need to raise again. I'm worried that the pressure from having a...

asked Mar 9 '11 at 15:54
Blank
Balaji Chandrasekaran
18 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
What disclosure can a seed investor expect from the company, after the investment is made?

I have made a seed investment in a startup. What level of disclosure and updates can I expect from the company's management without getting in their way? How frequently should I receive financial...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 11:55
Blank
Luciano
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What is the most important way in which an investor can add value to your startup?

How would you force-rank (1 being highest to 8 being lowest), in terms of value to your startup, the following 8 services provided by an investor: Warm introductions to potential customers Warm...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 21:58
Blank
Zippy
871 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
term sheet vs convertible note

I have been talking to the people in angel circles and it seems that everyone takes only term sheets; and convertible notes are almost like an insult. My questions is: when I can start offering...

asked Jan 18 '11 at 03:11
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Can A Legal Immigrant do Seed Funding?

I'm a legal immigrant. I want to seed fund a start up. Is that possible?

asked Jan 25 '11 at 12:34
Blank
Vanchinathan Chandrasekaran
115 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.74K Views
Raising seed capital without too much dilution

My company is in the process of raising additional capital for my semi start up website. Currently we are in a beta testing phase with the intent of testing the functionality of the site on a...

asked Dec 24 '10 at 01:59
Blank
Robert Dolle
118 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
4.78K Views
Advisable amount of equity to part with during seed funding

What is the advisable range of the amount of equity to part with during seed funding? If I give too much then I risk becoming an employee at my own company during a later round. Worse yet I risk...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 09:19
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Where do you find startup capital?

I'm in the early steps of putting together a business plan. When it's finished, I'm definitely going to need to secure funding. How do you go about finding potential investors? Tips to consider on...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 04:35
Blank
Matt Huggins
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding

Suppose someone needs to incorprate a C-corp, for a high tech high growth business. How does option pool size at the time of incorporation impact valuation and funding. Or it only matters how...

asked Dec 13 '10 at 21:30
Blank
Jewelthief
151 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
In seed funding, can the investment come from multiple sources?

I have two investors that appear interested in my concept. I am going to speak to one tomorrow. I intend to disclose to him that I will also be speaking with another investor very soon. If possible...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 13:20
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Is an experienced accountant necessary for an s-corp formation?

I need to form an s-corp in Delaware. The corporation will be taking on angel funding as soon as it is formed. I have retained an attorney experienced in the formation & funding processes. The...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:13
Blank
Alex
23 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Are there any grants for starting IT business in India?

I have a unique and viable idea but no seed money. I also have low qualification (no college education) so no chance of funding by VCs. I am aware of many programs by US and other governments. Are...

asked Nov 12 '10 at 22:46
Blank
User5359
48 points