Seed Funding Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Should you try not to give a concrete number to a potential investor?

When raising funds for a start-up with a working prototype/alpha product, should you refrain from asking for a specific amount? Or should you provide a preferred amount, and a backup plan for a...

asked Dec 21 '11 at 16:38
Blank
Nick
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.86K Views
How do you put a price tag on fame and mentorship from an early investor?

We're sitting with a situation where we have been given two different offers for seed investment. The first is more than double the amount of the other, but from someone not in the tech industry,...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 22:20
Blank
Hss
157 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.84K Views
How effective are crowdsourcing sites like Techmoola.com and Kickstarter.com to raise seed money for tech companies?

I recently started a medical tech company in Chicago and want to know what would be some common dos and don’ts when approaching crowdsourcing and group funding? Although I read more and more in the...

asked Nov 30 '11 at 07:33
Blank
Tom
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.49K Views
Pitch Video for Accelerator

My partner and I are considering applying to an accelerator program in NYC. The application asks for two pitch videos, one about the business and one about the team. Just wondering what these...

asked Oct 30 '11 at 23:27
Blank
D Moore
174 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Can you issue a Convertible Note to be converted prior to series A?

Situation: Closed initial kick-start seed investment with angel investor. Deal was done on an equity basis equaling a postmoney valuation of 400k. Have a few FFF who would like to invest small...

asked Oct 19 '11 at 12:53
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
Is sleeping partner considered as investor?

My partner and i are from different countries (1) My partner will fund the startup idea (2) I will be the working partner and the idea will be executed in my home country Please give your advice...

asked Oct 6 '11 at 02:06
Blank
Bt001
11 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.96K Views
What is a good format for a one page business plan executive summary?

We are applying for angel investment for our startup and we're working on putting together our one page executive summary. What is the typical flow/format of an executive summary?

asked Oct 6 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Gagan
150 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
lifecycle of a startup funding and complete buyout?

I'm staring well a start-up :) Currently we are using internal funds, and by estimates it will last for a good while, but if our growth(users servers etc.) exceed our sales, sooner or later we will...

asked Oct 1 '11 at 03:53
Blank
Ekim
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
What to use the invested money for?

Ok so i am located in India and am looking for some investment for my startup. Since i am a one man company, i think i can move to valley if the investor/incubator (?) wants me to. But my question...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 02:56
Blank
Achshar
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
How to convince a VC partner to invest $100M without having the $500K Feasibility & Associated Studies?

We are seeking a venture capital partner for a renewable start-up that has exclusively licensed 3 types of incredible 'waste-to-energy' technologies. The project team is made up of very qualified...

asked Sep 9 '11 at 02:13
Blank
Octief
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Will an angel investor be turned off by the founders not wanting to quit their day jobs just yet?

....my co-founder and I are working on a SaaS product and there is a chance we may seek an angel investment. Do you think us wanting to keep our day jobs for 3-6 more months will be a turn-off to...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 16:51
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
convertible debt term sheets and legal advice

I've just registered my new startup with the government so now the company is officially incorporated! (yippee!) I would now like to make a loan of about $5,000 to the company with my personal...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 11:22
Blank
Cmo
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.43K Views
Founder stocks and Employee pool

Is it common to issue equity to CEO as Preferred stock but other co-founders as Common stock? When setting up a 20% employee pool, it is common to have terms that the unissued equity will be...

asked Jul 23 '11 at 13:52
Blank
Howard
126 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
How and When to Raise Funds For Your Company

Funding your company is an important part of your startup and expansion strategy. It's a broad topic that has a lot of aspects including: keeping your idea secret, seed funding, angels, venture...

asked Jul 23 '11 at 23:23
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Are there any seed funding businesses available in Minnesota, U.S.A?

I have been very much interested in starting up a tech business in Minnesota, however relocating to, say, California really isn't an option at this point in my life. Are there any companies in...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 14:38
Blank
Phil
210 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
What to focus on when pitching, product or underlying platform?

I'm working on launching a startup based on a new computing platform developed by my co-founders. The platform itself is very powerful and flexible, and we envision it being used as a foundation...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 18:56
Blank
Berislav Lopac
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Popularity of restricted stock?

Several newbie questions for restricted stocks... Is it common for seed fund to invest in restricted stock? Is it common to issue restricted stock to cofounder? Is it common to turn option to...

asked Jul 5 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Yoga
116 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.87K Views
Tumblr, EverNote, Facebook - How Do They Start?

There is a lot's of start-ups that not protected by a patent like tumblr/twitter/evernote and more... How do they start getting massive users without letting copycats and Competitor disturbing...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Frank Parsons
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
What would be a reasonable equity when you execute on some one else's basic idea for less than market salary?

I am in some what a unique situation. I work for a friend owned software services company which has only 1 share holder - Founder & CEO. I joined them to execute on a product idea that the...

asked Jun 22 '11 at 09:22
Blank
Bsk
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Raise capital for idea, team and market

How do we go about raising seed money for our startup that is at this point nothing much but an idea (working towards a prototype), team (2 technical persons with over 10 years experience in...

asked Jun 6 '11 at 10:38
Blank
Xoail
365 points