Incorporation Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
7.09K Views
If my company is in California can I incorporate in a different state?

I've heard that most US corporations are in Delaware or Nevada because they are the friendliest to corporations. I don't have an office or anything, but I'm looking to start an internet based...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 11:44
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Consulting while bootstrapping. How to organise company?

I'm a developer who has just sorted out part time consultancy work which I would like to use to maintain myself while bootstrapping a SAAS startup as a solo (for now) founder. Given that I'd like...

asked Mar 18 '11 at 03:28
Blank
Macca
131 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Registration of a company in Hong Kong

I have a business in Hangzhou, China. What advantages are there to registering a company in Hong Kong? What are the disadvantages? Will a company identity in Hong Kong incur a lot of costs? Is it...

asked Mar 22 '11 at 21:46
Blank
Steven
1 point

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
C Corp vs LLC Taxes

I'm trying to figure out the various taxes taken out for a C Corp vs LLC. Single-member/ shareholder. (C Corp has more deductions.) C Corp: (1) Tax on profit (after deductions), (2) Payroll tax...

asked Feb 22 '11 at 08:53
Blank
Dave
46 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Where should I incorporate as an American expatriate?

I am a U.S. citizen who is about to move to Mexico for the next 2-4 years. Following that, I expect to move to Italy more or less permanently. So my question is, is there any advantage/disadvantage...

asked Feb 27 '11 at 07:47
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Virtual corporations, state registration and taxation

This question seems to have been beat up on this site, but I can't find a direct answer. If I have an internet business incorporated in Delaware that sells software online, and I personally live...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 10:39
Blank
Andy
111 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
How are corporate taxes handled for an Internet-based business if owners live in multiple states?

Two friends and I are creating an ecommerce site. I live in VA, while the other two are in NY. If we incorporate in VA and then register in NY as a foreign corporation, how are corporate taxes...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 06:08
Blank
Brandonrobison
6 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
4.05K Views
Can I start a business in USA and work from my country?

Can I incorporate a business in USA and work from my country? Can I receive profit from my corp even when I'm not an employee, only director? I have a b1b2 visa. Is this enough to manage a business...

asked Feb 8 '11 at 20:30
Blank
Alejandro
48 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Tax services for an almost non-existant corp

I founded an s-corp with a couple of friends in the early part of 2010 that hasn't shipped a product nor made a dollar yet (and likely won't ever). Unfortunately, I'm really not in the financial...

asked Feb 9 '11 at 15:14
Blank
Chris Cummings
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
What are the benefits of incorporating?

I am interested in starting a company that makes software tools. I looked into incorporating and it looks like it will cost a few hundred dollars if I do everything myself. From what little...

asked Feb 14 '11 at 08:57
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
incorporating a subsidiary company for each web app

My company (a Delaware C-corp) develops and runs a number of websites that will soon be offering paid accounts. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each website being its own subsidiary,...

asked Feb 14 '11 at 12:56
Blank
Jtauber
309 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
How should I register my business

My friend and I have been working as independent energy consultants for about a year now and we are planning to incorporate to be able to extend our services. We both got our PhDs last year and we...

asked Feb 17 '11 at 22:56
Blank
Siah
106 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.21K Views
What's the yearly cost of incorporating in the US?

We are currently a LLC from Uruguay, and we've been requested by a potential customer in the US to provide employer identification number (EIN). So we are evaluating the possibility of...

asked Jan 27 '11 at 06:58
Blank
Gabriel Lopez
31 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Should I establish an S-Corp or is Liability Insurance enough to Protect myself from Personal Liability?

I'm starting a small business and I'm concerned about personal liability. I like the idea of a corporation providing some protection, but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that the corporate veil...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 15:23
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Incorporated or Corporation in company name

My undersntanding is that there is no legal difference between naming my S Corporation MyCompanyName Incorporated vs MyCompanyName Corporation. However, are there any preferences on which one to...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 18:40
Blank
Tauren
240 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.84K Views
How do I correctly document my initial investment and any ongoing investment in my S-Corp?

I'm starting a small business and have decided to form an S-Corp. Like many, my goal in forming an S-Corp is to avoid limitless personal liability and to take advantage of the (potential) tax...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 09:30
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
should you be incorporated before launch?

Should you be incorporated before you launch your product? Some things associated with incorporation: Office address Phone Mailing Address Those three require a physical location? Is there a...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 03:14
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
5.34K Views
Should we convert our LLC to a C-Corp?

We've reached a point where we need either hard capital or strategic hire capital and as an LLC it seems like it is much harder to grant capital (either immediately or in a vesting process). Also,...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 01:43
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.31K Views
Adding Shareholder Vesting after Incorporation -- Bum Business Partner

I incorporated with a friend turned business partner, probably giving him too much of the company for the amount of work he was putting in simply because he was a friend. Since incorporation, he...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 07:37
Blank
Good Greif
236 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.66K Views
Can S Corporations issue convertible notes/debt?

I was reading this answer and am a little confused - how is convertible debt precluded by being an S corp? (rather than C corp) Is this just an overstatement? I understand that one typically would...

asked Jan 20 '11 at 12:26
Blank
Tim J
8,346 points