Incorporation Questions

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Started S Corp in 2010 but did not make any money til now

I started an S corp April 2010 but the project was put on hold. We didn't file the 1120S or 2253 that were due 3/15/2011. This month we are starting to work on a project which will start to bring...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 05:56
Blank
Asmy
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Should I Incorporate in Nevada for Internet Business?

I have an internet based business with no physical location and my business partners all live in different states. I want to incorporate and was thinking about doing it in Nevada or Delaware. The...

asked Jul 17 '11 at 15:14
Blank
Jason
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Which state should I choose for incorporation for a new online sales business?

I know that internet taxation laws have changed for states in the past year. Is there a state that is more internet commerce friendly that I should choose for incorporation? I am currently...

asked Jun 24 '11 at 02:48
Blank
Laura
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Can a business registered/incorporated in one province do business in another province?

I've been getting conflicting advice about this, and figure if there's a spot that would know the answer one way or the other, it's onstartups.com In a nutshell I'm trying to find out if I have to...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 11:51
Blank
Canadiancreed
136 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Most tax beneficial way to incorporate as a contractor

I am currently contracting as a software engineer on a W2, and I am thinking of incorporating. Which is the most tax beneficial way, an LLC, sole proprietorship, S-Corp? Keep in mind that at this...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 07:53
Blank
Christopher Perry
116 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
Planning to do a startup in USA from my country, were I can find employees?

Im planning to hire 3 employees in a soon to be corporation in USA, but I would be only a director because of my passive role as a non immigrant. How I can find qualified people, meet them in a...

asked May 23 '11 at 15:30
Blank
Alejandro
48 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
Should I incorporate or do an LLC?

I am building a startup. Right now I am thinking of having a company that is an umbrella around the different attempts I make. Which would you suggest? Should I incorporate or do an LLC? What are...

asked May 11 '11 at 09:44
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.2K Views
Can an Indian promoter/founder/entrepreneur register his business and get it incorporated in the US?

What is the US law that deals with regulations for incorporated entities? In India, we have the Indian Companies Act, 1956. I am an entrepreneur. I want to know if I can register my business as a...

asked May 15 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Water Cooler V2
139 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Made an error on incorporation, what do I need to do to ammend it?

We (me and my partner) recently incorporated as a Limited By Shares company (Ltd). Stupidly, when filling out the forms we put down 1m shares with nominal value at £1 thinking these were just...

asked May 10 '11 at 06:27
Blank
Tom
480 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
How to form an INC Company

I would like to know how inc companies are formed. Is it only beyond some threshold revenue or asset barrier that companies can be incorporated as incs. I have seen most of the US major companies:...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 18:24
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.63K Views
Co-founders unequal shares but how about initial capital injection?

Currently I'm working on a project together with 1 co-founder and soon we are going to incorporate a company. We agreed that I get 70% shares and he gets 30% . The reason is because I started the...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 22:08
Blank
Paul12
18 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
8.26K Views
What is the cheapest state to start an LLC in?

I'm curious about filing fees and annual taxes in the various states. Is there anywhere that breaks this information down in a clear easy to understand format?

asked Apr 22 '11 at 13:13
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.56K Views
Being liable as a sole proprietorship VS director at a corporation

I am considering starting presales of a product. Since money may be coming in I wanted a business bank account so if I am ever sued for any reason I'll only lose what I put in the business and not...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 20:18
Blank
Stu R
66 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
Where am I "doing business" if I only have a website and I (potentially) sell to companies all over the world?

This is spawned from @Dana Shultz's answer to this question. from this portion of his answer: ...if you incorporate elsewhere but do business in CA, you will need to register in CA, too... ...

asked Apr 12 '11 at 13:19
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
Did you incorporate in Delaware and get surprised by the minimum annual franchise tax this year?

Looks like the DE Franchise Tax Board & SecState changed the minimum authorized shares tax - a lot of companies that incorporated this past year may have been unaware of this change or not sure...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 08:44
Blank
Henry The Hengineer
4,316 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.82K Views
LLC or S-corp for a 2 person California consulting company

My business partner and I currently work as independent contractors in California writing software and have decided to turn it into a real company. Ownership will be 50/50. All revenue will come...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Todd H
196 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Price vs. long-term potential: how to pick counsel for incorporation?

For those of us who have incorporated a start-up and for those of us who are in the process: (1) did you hire counsel to handle the initial paperwork (i.e., for the initial founders' stock...

asked Apr 7 '11 at 22:15
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
Why incorporate in the US? What about Bermuda and other tax-advantageous countries?

Basically, why should one incorporate in the US? I'm interested in three cases: 1 - Most of the revenue and employees are in the US. 2 - Most of the employees are in the US, but the revenues...

asked Mar 25 '11 at 02:41
Blank
J Delage
277 points

6 Votes
1 Answers
5.18K Views
What are the disadvantages / pitfalls of incorporating offshore?

I am looking into setting up a company for a business I'm bootstrapping, that I plan to finance by doing consulting/freelancing. So I would like to set up a legal entity to do business. The main...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 05:22
Blank
Mircea Grelus
782 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.69K Views
Costs associated with starting an LLC in Massachusetts?

I am going to be starting a LLC business (wedding photography) and I was curious about the associated costs. The business will be registered in Massachusetts. I understand that an exact number may...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 14:01
Blank
Brian David Berman
140 points