Pricing Questions

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.97K Views
Am I ruining the industry?

I'm currently building/running a 'digital marketing agency' from home with my partner. We provide websites (business card sites, CMS-driven sites, e-commerce etc), hosting, email services right...

asked Jun 3 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Setting fixed prices on non fixed cost?

I'm wondering whether any of you use services from outside your country to provide a service inside your country. If so, how do you go about setting your prices? For example, if I had a website...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 23:08
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
How to initially price an app that uses backend services?

I want to sell my app as a one time purchase (not SaaS) but I also need my app to access backend services which end up costing me based on usage. How do I initially price my app without knowing...

asked Apr 21 '12 at 04:26
Blank
Steve Moser
101 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
What is the best pricing model for a service based on requests?

I have a product for monitoring specific areas of content within webpages and notifying the customer when changes occur to this content and what they are. (E.g. monitor the latest stories on a news...

asked Mar 28 '12 at 23:01
Blank
Yojimbo
326 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
How do you bill for customisations in your SaaS offering?

We provide a customisable SaaS solution, and have adopted the classic billing model of a monthly user subscription fee. However some of our clients also require us to make customisations to their...

asked Feb 24 '12 at 18:38
Blank
Kosta Kontos
216 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
SaaS limitations for high-volume but low-profit organisations?

We are providing a SaaS Service (currently in open beta) and thinking about our pricing tiers. We want to offer plans that grow at the same pace that our customers businesses grow. We are thus...

asked Feb 29 '12 at 11:19
Blank
Sam
13 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.08K Views
Hiring a freelancer to build an app

I'm deciding to hire a freelancer to build an app from one of the following websites: GoFreelance, ODesk, Rent-a-coder, eLance. The thing is that I don't know how much my app will cost me. I have...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 23:10
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.6K Views
How to deal with users expecting a free edition of a software product (when not available)?

I'm working to launch my product in the near future and some guys are asking if there will be a "free" version. I've read some opinions that discourage the freemium model because canibalizes sales...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 14:00
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
What are the various IT consulting models and the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I am pursuing an opportunity as an outside consultant to an established company, but don't really know how to package my services. Here are a couple of models I have come across: Charge a...

asked Jan 27 '12 at 06:33
Blank
J.Rightly
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.52K Views
A startup should be commited with support 24/7? How much to charge?

At our startup we have a software on premise business. We offer a system, for about 20k. The client needs support for the system for 3 years, that includes to fix it if it fails no matter how many...

asked Jan 28 '12 at 03:23
Blank
Ricardo Polo
111 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.75K Views
Create identical product and sell for half price?

I would like to compete in the software market and I thought that if I just present a product that provides the same functionality and is as good as its competitors and sell if for half the price...

asked Feb 1 '12 at 16:08
Blank
Cj7
124 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Pricing Psychology

I am looking for a reference on this topic. Every knows that the difference in cost between $100 and $99 is more than $1 in the minds of consumers. Thus prices ending in $99 are commonplace but...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 10:47
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
4.23K Views
Why is customized software so expensive?

Actually, I know the answer but I don't know how to market my answer. Quick background We're an independent team of 3 developers who write software for a company with 2B in revenue. We've been...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 10:51
Blank
Adhg
250 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
When a client chooses a lesser subscription in a web app

What happens when a user had a greater subscription plan but chooses to convert to a lesser one? Of course, the features should be locked/limited, but what happens for example in this...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 06:33
Blank
Mihalis Bagos
106 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Sensible pricing options for a tiered translation service on retainer? Or - how do I add value more without exhausting myself?

I’m an English man living in Germany. As a side line, I offer German to English translation, interpreting and language lessons. These do not provide a steady income, so I’d like to offer a...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 20:52
Blank
Edd Turner
4 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Determining Price for Data

I have some data that I think is valuable. I have looked at my potential market and I believe there are three potential buyers. While this data is valuable, I believe the market is small. I feel I...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 14:11
Blank
Phone Developer
123 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.63K Views
How to set the price to optimize equipment utilization?

I'm in a technical position, soon to be launching a service company that receives orders from electronic component manufacturers to perform laboratory measurements on their products, charging them...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 13:37
Blank
Tim8691
17 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Desktop Software Startup: How to go about pricing Pay Per Feature

So I found lot of articles and questions on pricing software in separate market segments but for my current desktop software here's my model. I offer a free version with lot of disabled features....

asked Dec 21 '11 at 21:42
Blank
Gagwgw
227 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.11K Views
What's the thinking behind why so many pricing pages having 3 options?

I'm pricing my SaaS version 2.0 software in preparation for launch in Q1 and I'm wondering why so many pricing pages have 3 options. For v1 we just had 1 pricing plan and we definitely left money...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 03:44
Blank
Umassthrower
458 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.98K Views
Pros and Cons of "Act Now" offers

Do any of you have experience with what I like to call "Act Now" pricing, or pricing which implies that the current price is a discount from the "real" price? I'm releasing a SaaS tool that has a...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 04:09
Blank
Umassthrower
458 points