Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Marketing to a female demographic

I've a product/website in Family/Relationships segment and so far it attracts 80% women and 20% men. Mostly adults(age 25 to 55) actually pay for it. Younger users generally want it "free". I'm...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 05:15
Blank
Arpit Tambi
1,050 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
Import from Manufacturer in bulk and outsource fullfillment to Amazon

Background I'm not quitting my day job, but it would be fun to do some trading on the nights and weekends. My basic idea was to buy direct from manufacturer using sites like Alibaba.com and then...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 06:31
Blank
Jeffrey Hicks
313 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
How do you find and choose the best cofounder who can manage sales?

Let's say that you have a great idea, great market niche and you can build a prototype and you need a cofounder who has experience in selling and who is connected. How do you find and choose the...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 08:36
Blank
Anup
547 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.88K Views
Marketing to enterprise customers

What is the difference between marketing a consumer product and an enterprise product? I have read much of the ISV materials, BTW, thanks to all the legends such as Eric Sink, Bob Walsh, Jason...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 06:27
Blank
Sen
34 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.89K Views
How to do you setup a sales funnel?

What resources do you use to create an refine a sales funnel? What techniques do you use to generate leads? What do you do once you get leads to qualify them? Are they standard conversion rates and...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 09:13
Blank
Marcus Mc Connell
21 points

8 Votes
10 Answers
4.83K Views
How did you learn to sell?

I realize that selling is vital to mine (or any startup). But right now with little experience and tech background, let's just say I'm not proficient in sales. So what books, blogs, advice, etc....

asked Oct 10 '09 at 17:05
Blank
Slav Ivanov
1,146 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.36K Views
How do you discover who are the customers for your "alpha" product?

You have a product alpha. How do you discover who are the customers for your product?

asked Oct 10 '09 at 17:49
Blank
Alexandre Gomes
95 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.33K Views
How can a Greenhorn get experience?

In this economic climate, competition for jobs is stiff. What should a smart, hardworking recent graduate of a business school program do to try to get a job that will give him the experience he...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 02:18
Blank
Jason Evanish
83 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Selling to small and medium businesses

I believe inbound marketing makes small businesses sales easier on both parties, but honestly I've haven't used direct sales much. So should we focus on inbound marketing? Or have salespeople...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 05:15
Blank
Slav Ivanov
1,146 points

22 Votes
13 Answers
6.49K Views
I'm a terrible salesperson. What can I do about it?

I'm a designer / developer. My product is ready for beta, so my focus has to shift towards sales and marketing. My problem is that I just cannot sell. I have an irrational fear of annoying people...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 05:35
Blank
Finch
211 points

11 Votes
10 Answers
6.18K Views
Anyone experimented with $49.95 vs. $50 Pricing for subscription software?

I've read a lot of times in the retail world where the $49.95 (or $49.99) style pricing actually increases sales vs. just making it a round figure like $50. Has anyone tried this for a...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 03:59
Blank
Dharmesh Shah
2,865 points