Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
Market Research having time but no money

I'm thinking in making my own "market research study" (if that applies) by no spending money but time. My resource: the web. The idea is make the most complete possible list about my possible...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 07:10
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What is the revenue channels for social networking site?

It seems really obvious that sites like Facebook generate revenue from Ads. Twitter doesn't seems to have any revenue model at the time being (CMIIW). So other than advertising what is the revenue...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 14:14
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
3.49K Views
What's the most interesting Twitter strategy that you've seen a startup use?

It seems like most startups on Twitter use one of two strategies: 1) Broadcast links & information about the company. 2) Broadcast links & information about the industry related to the...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 16:50
Blank
Aaron Q
101 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Terms And Conditions for Website Advertising

I am curious if anyone has any experience with selling website Ad space directly to customers. If so, what are some of the Terms and Conditions that you have used?

asked Dec 14 '09 at 05:26
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.5K Views
What are some effective ways to promote a book?

I am curious if anyone has any experience promoting a book. I have read a bunch of posts about various promotion methods but I have not seen a whole lot of posts on what is the most effective. By...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 00:03
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Resellers or Affliates?

What should I consider first, and why? Setting up a Reseller Program for my software product. or Setting up an Affiliate Network for my software product.

asked Nov 24 '09 at 16:47
Blank
Lkessler
1,471 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
4.61K Views
Tips for Talking to NEW potential customers (cold-calls, cold-emails, etc)?

Question is in bold below, but some background first.. I've been "mulling over" a startup idea for a website geared towards medium-to-large law firms. Without going into too many details, my...

asked Nov 29 '09 at 10:18
Blank
Jorgem
749 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.37K Views
How transparent should a Micro-ISV be?

I'm a one-man software shop. I do all the software development, design, marketing, etc for my business. And I'm a big believer in being very open with my customers. I maintain a blog at...

asked Dec 5 '09 at 05:25
Blank
Steve Wortham
287 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
6.86K Views
What is the rate for marketing and sales consultants?

I was wondering what the pay rate is for marketing and sales consultants that mainly work with startups. I know some companies hire on commission-base only and some offer share/equity in the...

asked Nov 10 '09 at 09:07
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Screen captures vs short videos which is more effective at converting customers?

Has anyone measured the effectiveness of static screen captures with text versus a screen cast with voice in converting customers (for a software application)? Do you find that it is a natural...

asked Nov 11 '09 at 16:16
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Start a franchise or extend sales?

A local company I know regularly goes abroad to sell their products trough an extensive network of distributors except in some regions where they have little presence for doing business. I've...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 23:48
Blank
Pdjota
532 points

11 Votes
12 Answers
8.63K Views
CRM / lead management software?

Can anyone recommend CRM / lead management software? We have a bunch of customer leads, and managing them using a Google doc is getting unwieldy. We are looking for an inexpensive solution,...

asked Nov 14 '09 at 10:17
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Advertising Sales

I'm looking for advice on how to sell ads on my website, which is password-protected. I have studied AdSense/BuySellAds/etc., but none of them will work acceptably for my site (password-protected...

asked Oct 29 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Web Tech Guy
35 points

4 Votes
10 Answers
3.21K Views
Why are international sales so poor compared to US domestic?

We sell software online. Our international trial to purchase ratio is abysmal compared to US domestic. I'm trying to determine why? Some possible answers: Higher piracy overseas PayPal and PO are...

asked Nov 1 '09 at 02:19
Blank
Shawn Anderson
21 points

4 Votes
11 Answers
3.43K Views
What is the distinction between sales and marketing?

What is the distinction between these two? In today's era it seems one overlaps each other and I'm wondering whether in a startup these roles can be covered by one person. Is it effective? Is there...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 20:46
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.91K Views
B-to-B landing pages and conversions

Within the online marketing space, a standard rule I have heard about landing pages is to limit choice. Ideally you have one page, with your sales pitch and they can either take your desired action...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 03:42
Blank
Adam
446 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
3.74K Views
Online Sales Tax: location based on transaction server, shipping address, CC, or location of purchaser?

Online sales tax seems overly complicated. From what I've read, it seems like most states collect sales tax if your company has a physical presence; however, location on both ends is badly...

asked Oct 18 '09 at 06:54
Blank
User960
36 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
What points should one consider while desigining a comission structure for sales team?

I envision to create a sales team that can make sales while keeping customer satisfaction as the top priority. I want to develop a team that is good at sales but is not pushy. Are there any...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 02:51
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.8K Views
Are there any websites for startups that are looking for marketing and sales consultants?

I was wondering if startups don't have the marketing and sales expertise in-house (between the partners) and don't want to hire full-time talent, are there any websites that you can look for them?

asked Oct 22 '09 at 04:09
Blank
Arman Arami
399 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
5.49K Views
Using Facebook Connect - Pros and Cons

is Facebook Connect worth the efforts? any benefits in long term? are there any negative consequences like slow page loads and increased page download times etc? Update: Okay so I just tried...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 04:54
Blank
Arpit Tambi
1,050 points